[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your favorite jazz records of 2016?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
What are your favorite jazz records of 2016?
>>
>>64729339
Michael Formanek and Ensemble Kolossus- The Distance (8.8)
Aruán Ortiz Trio- Hidden Voices (8.5)
Conrad Herwig and Igor Butman- Reflections (7.8)
Misha Taiganov- Spring Feelings (7.8)
Vijay Iyer and Wadada Leo Smith- A Cosmic Rhythm with Each Stroke (7.8)
Eric Revis- Crowded Solitudes (7.7)
Renku- Live in Greenwich Village (7.6)
Jon Davis- Changes Over Time (7.4)
Myra Melford and Ben Goldberg- Dialogue (7.4)
Ches Smith- The Bell (7.4)
Herlin Riley- New Direction (7.4)
Dr. Lonnie Smith- Evolution (7.3)
Protean Reality- Protean Reality (7.3)
Ralph Alessi- Quiver (7.3)
Harris Eisenstadt- Old Growth Forest (7.2)
Avishai Cohen- Into the Silence (7.2)
Henri Texier- Sky Dancers (7.1)
Jeremy Pelt- #Jiveculture (7.0)
Bill Charlap Trio- Notes from New York
Donald Edwards- Prelude to Real Life (7.0)
Logan Richardson- Shift (7.0)
Ken Fowser- Standing Tall (6.9)
Renee Rosnes- Written in the Rocks (6.9)
Jim Rotondi- Dark Blue (6.8)
Kenny Barron- Book of Intuition (6.8)
Fire!- She Sleeps She Sleeps (6.6)
Frank Woeste- Pocket Rhapsody (6.4)
GoGo Penguin- Man Made Object (5.6)
>>
File: front.jpg (3 MB, 3000x3000) Image search: [Google]
front.jpg
3 MB, 3000x3000
>>64729339
not sure yet but this is a strong contender
>>
File: 1e0c24e3.jpg (592 KB, 1500x1331) Image search: [Google]
1e0c24e3.jpg
592 KB, 1500x1331
anyone have a rip of this? not finding it yet
>>
>>64730334
>>64730324
Thanks meine Männer
>>
File: 6057445.jpg (90 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
6057445.jpg
90 KB, 500x500
pic related

>>64730324
you need to hear this m8
>>
>>64730324
now out of these, which ones have that suave jazz flute that ive been so inclined to finding more of
>>
>>64730324
JTG I talked to my Juilliard educated teacher about Wadada and he seemed rather cold. Do you think distaste towards free jazz players like Wadada, Braxton, etc is warranted? What would you say to people who value players that are technically skilled and capable?

As a classical player (the teacher was Jazz his whole life) I find myself really divided on free jazz.
>>
>>64730358
also looking for this

>>64730382
what is it?

>>64730403
>Do you think distaste towards free jazz players like Wadada, Braxton, etc is warranted?
I don't think that distaste toward the entire subgenre or entire artists is warranted. To me there are certain elements that make free jazz good and those are what I use to determine how much I like free jazz. Wadada is not my favorite player but a lot of the stuff on Cosmic Rhythm ended up being pretty cool because of Iyer's reaction to what he was doing. I enjoy some of Braxton's music and some of it I don't really find has much value according to what I look for in improvised music. I don't think Braxton considers most of his music "jazz" though.

>What would you say to people who value players that are technically skilled and capable?
I would agree with them but caution them not to be too strict in their definition of "technical skill". I think a good foundation of technique is important to express yourself as an artist but in jazz there are more techniques to master than just "playing the changes with good time".

I will say that I tend to enjoy it more when free jazz players come from a background of having studied bebop. Not always but usually I think they tend to play more musically, even with less constraints.
>>
File: evansPluta.jpg (243 KB, 1024x537) Image search: [Google]
evansPluta.jpg
243 KB, 1024x537
Where do you guys usually find your jazz? Most of the contemporary jazz I find is just from word of mouth from friends

Also you guys should check out the youtube channel Don Mount, he consistently puts out videos of NYC free jazz
>>
>>64730630
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/anna_hogberg_attack/anna_hogberg_attack/
>>
>>64730630
Well stated, thanks JTG
>>
>>64730645
allaboutjazz.com and downbeat are good sources for hearing about new releases. Keep tabs on record labels you like.

I think the best thing to do is just check the social media accounts of artists you like and see who they're recording/performing with.

Along the lines of what you posted you can stream the nightly performances from Smalls Jazz Club in NYC. It's mostly straight-ahead jazz but it can be good for discovering new artists.
>>
Once I hear something as awesome as Charles Lloyd's Wild Man Dance from last year I'll let you know.

>>64730324
>Jim Rotondi- Dark Blue
Super underwhelming desu.
>GoGo Penguin- Man Made Object
Jazz? If so it's the most flimsy excuse for Jazz since Ella Fitzgerald was singing about Tiskets and Taskets.
>>
Opinions on Christian Scott anyone?
>>
>>64731068
Pretty good player. Has some cool stuff but I think his reliance on studio production is kind of a weakness on his recordings. I've seen some cool live stuff he's done on youtube though. I wish his albums were more like that.
>>
>>64731223
Yeah his Tiny Desk Concert was fucking killer but the studio versions of those songs were pretty lackluster in comparison
>>
>>64731068
Stretch Music surprised me and I just saw him live a few weekends ago and he was great. I used to think he was underwhelming, but now I'm looking forward to where he does next.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.