[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This man killed music
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
File: bowie_on_tour.jpg (205 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
bowie_on_tour.jpg
205 KB, 1000x1000
Music used to be about actual substance until this talentless faggot made it so that all you needed was a gay ass "image" and pretentious concepts. Prove me wrong.
>>
Wow great argument fagtron you sure convinced me with those hot opinions.
>>
File: OP.jpg (49 KB, 411x381) Image search: [Google]
OP.jpg
49 KB, 411x381
>>60327963
>>
>>60327989
David Bowie turned marketing into the essence of his art. All great phenomena of popular music, from Elvis Presley to the Beatles, had been, first and foremost, marketing phenomena, however, Bowie turned that into an art of its own. With Bowie the science of marketing becomes art; art and marketing become one. There were intellectuals who had proclaimed this theory in rebellious terms. Bowie was, in many ways, the heir, no matter how perverted, of Andy Warhol's pop art and of the underground culture of the 1960s. He adopted some of the most blaspheme issues and turned them upside down to make them precisely what they had been designed to fight: a commodity.
Bowie was a protagonist of his times, although a poor musician: to say that Bowie is a musician is like saying that Nero was a harp player (a fact that is technically true, but misleading). Bowie embodies the quintessence of artificial art, raises futulity to paradigm, focuses on the phenomenon rather than the content, makes irrelevant the relevant, and, thus, is the epitome of everything that went wrong with rock music. Each element of his art is the emblem of a true artistic movement however, the ensemble of those emblems constitutes no more than a puzzle, no matter how intriguing, of symbols, a roll of incoherent images projected against the wall at twice the speed, a dictionary of terms rather than a poem, and, in the best of hypotheses, a documentary of the cultural fads of his era. Reading the chronicles of his times, it is clear that what caused sensation was the show, not the music. The show that Bowie set up was undoubtedly in sync with the avantgarde, as it fused theater, mime, cinema, visual art, literature and music. However, Bowie merely recycled what had been going on for years in the British underground, in particular what had been popularized by the psychedelic bands of 1967. And he turned it into a commodity: whichever way you look at his oeuvre, this is the real merit of it.
>>
i'd say the Beatles started that trend, but they still actually had musical ideas. i agree that Bowie completed the project of making popular music PURELY image (as opposed to about 75-80% image before him)
>>
File: scruffy.png (29 KB, 227x117) Image search: [Google]
scruffy.png
29 KB, 227x117
I wonder who could be behind this post...
>>
Your true
>>
>>60327963
>people like different things that I do waaaaaa
>>
>>60328001
Bowie had a cool image and wrote some catchy songs. That's all. As was pointed out, pop groups like the Shangri-Las had emphasized image for a long time. Bowie wasn't even the first person do do glam - T. Rex and Alice Cooper were already into theatrics and glamor. This is all bullshit philosophizing, and none of it means anything - Bowie was just a pop star who wrote some nice songs, and was into musical theater and related traditions like music hall, cabaret, vaudeville, and burlesque

>>60328011
this wouldn't be the first retarded, repulsive, meaningless thing Scaruffi has said
he makes Christgau and Bangs look respectable by comparison
>>
File: 5a5.png (701 KB, 1000x1222) Image search: [Google]
5a5.png
701 KB, 1000x1222
>>60328123
>waaaaaa
waw
>>
>>60328039
>>60328080
MODS
>>
>>60328133
>That's all.
Tell that to Bowie's fanbase on /mu/.
>>
>Prove me wrong
Well he went and made all that good music. That might mean something.
>>
~ The lyrics of Heroes or Let's Dance fool the listener that there is a camaraderie or benevolent motive. For the impressionable listener (like Lennon's poor tramp) this is the hook to keep sending the artist's estate £20 a year.

After a while it's like any other capitalistic company, it's exists to take attention and crush people.
>>
>>60328001
And after you've said all of that, you still have accomplished nothing comparable to Bowie. Write some music friend. Let's see how unique you are. As if being truly unique ever made anyone popular.
>>
>>60328913
>You have to have be a chef to critique a restaurant's food
>>
>>60327963
low is amazing

hunky dory, station to station and heroes are great

rest is overrated
>>
even tho we're /b/-ing raided and this is b8, i actually agree
>>
>>60328001
this needs to become a meme, fuck bowie, yall niggas don't know shit
>>
>>60327963
95% of his shit is boring as fuck, desu. Never knew what this board sees in him.
>>
i agree
>>
File: 1447223677358.jpg (6 KB, 101x136) Image search: [Google]
1447223677358.jpg
6 KB, 101x136
>>60328133
>>60328913
>>60329026
Newfriends, or irony?
>>
>>60329205
been here since '09
fuck off, kid
>>
>>60329253
Then how the fuck you didn't recognized that pasta?
>>
He lost me after Young Americans. Everything else is good.
>>
With Bowie I always felt that image was an extension of his music. It never felt gimmicky, it just felt like another piece of the art. And why are you putting the blame on Bowie? Image has always been huge in pop music. Bowie just did a better job at it than anybody else. Only person, I'd argue did it better was KISS, but David Bowie was making much more interesting albums than KISS.
>>
I love Bowie and the only thing I know about his image is that picture of him on Aladdin Sane. Same with Kiss: like, yeah, they wear makeup on their album covers but I never paid that much mind.
>>
>>60329294
>I am retarded. Everything else is good
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.