[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
G.o.D.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1
File: Garden_of_Delete[1].jpg (21 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
Garden_of_Delete[1].jpg
21 KB, 560x560
Lopatin has perfected his craft, Garden of Delete is breathing, living electronic music. The complexity and unstability of sound reminds of a jazz improvisation - music "lives" in the performance, like all other art. The rapid fire appregios create diffuse sonic shapes, going on long enough for the listener to see their form, then changing back to liquid to birth the next composition, infused by the particles of the previous one. You hear sounds you might have never heard before, melting and collaborating with distorted samples, leaving tropes as orientation markers in the space that is created. The Garden of Delete is a 3dimensional space, where time is slowed down and sped up in succession, giving the listener a moment to put digest impression and put them into perspective. With each listen you find something new and recontextualize the data. Also it's very catchy music and you should give it a try

10/10
>>
>>60301016
Just me and my daddy, hanging out I got pretty hungry so I started to pout He asked if I was down for something yummy and I asked what and he said he'd give me his cummies! Yeah! Yeah! I drink them! I slurp them! I swallow them whole It makes daddy happy so it's my only goal... Harder daddy! Harder daddy! 1 cummy, 2 cummy, 3 cummy, 4 I'm daddy's princess but I'm also a whore! He makes me feel squishy! !He makes me feel good! He makes me feel everything a little should!~ This is a tumblr cummie <3 that means you make somebody really squishy! uwu (≧ω≦) Send this to 10 daddies that make you squishie ishie and don't break the chain! ∩(︶▽︶)∩
>>
Garden of Delete is great, it surprised me how Oneohtrix Point Never could release such a good record.
>>
OPN has transcended electronic music, sounds become indecipherable signs, recognisable systems and structures have been taken apart and glued together, thus the artificiality of his music melts with reality - our mental database of possble sounds is being invaded, structured compositions are no more. The computer is no longer an instrument, it is an organism, it doesn't produce, it gives birth.
>>
Daily reminder that the whole album sounds like a musical backdrop for a Call Of Duty best kills compilation.
>>
I like to think of it as an extension of R Plus Seven. That album to me felt like a universe of totally creative invention, wherein voices flutter passingly to fill space and expand. Dense synths, beautiful chords, and light passages of sampling strive to turn chaos to imperfection, but is again eroded and rebuilt. It's like heaven, only where death is inevitable.

On this LP, I see Lopatin playing with the darker side of these ideas. Synths are rough, instead of beautiful chords, you get techno and metal riffs and banging and distortion. It's self-aware, drawing cultural references and re-contextualizing them to fit into a sort of post-musical perfection world. Instead of trying to achieve consensus, it's built on influence and deconstruction by way of destruction.

It flows in and out of bits immediately recognizable as "music," perhaps even seen as the solace of the album, to its meat, which is its bursts of attacking chaos.

I like to think the ideas of Replica are there too; the musical influences of hardstyle and metal, along with the sampling, build a dreamlike world in which reality has been given no background. It's as if the purely creative and the utterly commercial are fused in its own state to give some non-interpretative, yet meaningful, collection of futuristic sounds that have formed consensus.
>>
Don't worry guys. I'm here all night

You know what's funny? People have been talking about the message of this album, about it being "big words" with "no meaning", yet not a single one of you dense fuckers has even been able to grasp what it's really about.

Kendrick is dealing with different forces of racism and is looking for a way to cope.

His mother straight up tells him to stop acting like a victim, it'll never get him anywhere. Kendrick is taking a hit at black people, maybe even more direct at black people in social media, constantly playing the victim card. He has actually been attacked by a few black celebrities, including Azelia Banks, for that.

He is also implying that, additionally to systematic, structural racism, there is another form of racism in America. He goes one step farther and holds up a mirror for his black people:

If you behave like a gangbanger, if you live like a thug, if you talk like a moron and generally behave ignorant, then you are perpetuating racial stereotypes. A lot of black people, famous black people that the youngsters look up to, act like that. He's adressing the faults of the black community.

There is an essay by Frantz Fanon titled Black Skin, White Masks. Not like anyone here would have read that, but if you had maybe you would understand where Kendrick is coming from.

There is a mental image that us whiteys have of 'the nigga from the projects' and instead of offering a counterimage, media, like BET for example, just fixate that image even more. Kendrick has gotten so much shit for saying exactly that, saying that black people are part of the reason why racism still exists today. It's a bold message, in the end this album is not about a religious epiphany or about a black uprising, it's about respecting each other and acting fucking sane. Those are even the last words, I have no idea how anyone could miss that, but I guess that's /mu/ for you
>>
what is going on in this thread
>>
>>60301660
desu it felt like listening to an ultra combo in the new killer instinct
>>
I'm actually okay with this description, as cringey and bait-y as it is
>>
>>60301660
This is music that denies formal interpretation and practical dissection. The listener picks up signs, deciphers them according to what he has picked up from his lifetime as a consumer. Your association speak more about yourself than the object you associate to
>>
>>60302043
>This is music
no. It is literally OPN's mainstream cash out of the post-dubstep generation. He had an absolutely magnificent thing going with Commissions II but he fucked it all up to the point where everything just sounds like unfocused garbage.
>>
>>60302155
You clearly don't even know what dubstep is.
>>
>>60302186
I said post-dubstep, not dubstep. You clearly can't read.

One thing the more vocal audiences (especially in America) expect after all the "brostep" craze died off is a substitute that hits just as hard but is "more artistic". That's exactly what Lopatin delivered and it's absolute trash. Same thing goes with Flying Lotus's new release.

I'm tellin ya, Warp is slowly fading unless you dig in the label releases.
>>
>>60302155
he's aiming to be post-PC music. so i guess you'd include dubstep, but he's more focused on identifying the merits of it by way of stripping it down than by actually using post-dubstep.
>>
>>60302043
>using "this" anywhere in a review
this is worthy of a whole new music review cringe thread
>>
>>60302245
>he's more focused on identifying the merits of it by way of stripping it down
I agree with you on this. The only problem is that he cannot write a cohesive piece from what he salvaged and that bothers me. I think he is an incredibly talented guy but this release was just so disappointing.
>>
>>60302241
then you should have called it post-brostep or post-big room

brostep =/= dubstep
>>
>>60302341
is skrillex dubstep or brostep and what is brostep
>>
>>60302241
except this might the best thing warp has released this decade [next to syro anyway]

don't be so stubborn-- there is so much depth to the compositions, arrangements, and aesthetic choices on this release that it defies comparison with anyone else on the label, afx included. commissions ii is great yeah but the intent behind that release is completely different than this one

this is an important record, just tryna lead you out of your own culturefog anon
>>
>>60302417
syro was painfully mediocre
>>
>>60301627
>>60301016
>>60301661
>>60302043
Woah nigga slow down
>>
>>60302500
your average opn fan
>>
>All this pretentious bullshit trying to rationalize how Garden of Delete is anything other than okay
lel Replica >>>> all
>>
>>60302573
Apples and oranges
>>
tight chord progressions, beautiful voices, great melodies, catchy and agressive as fuck, futuristic and retro at the same time, it was, pretty cool desu famhgjhashdj
>>
>>60302637
One was thematic and amazing.

The other was meh musical vomit (with the exception of Ezra).
>>
>>60302767
>musical vomit
hilarious, how old are you?
>>
>>60302382

Jokes aside, the distinction is definitely needed in order to have a reasonable music discussion. Allowing 'uk' dubstep and 'us' dubstep to be given the same name is like giving metal and punk the same name.
>>
>>60302278
it was a response, not a review
>>
Why is critical listening discouraged on this board? There's more to say about G.o.D. than all of PC Music.
>>
>>60304044
this board has made taste irrelevant by making anything a lot of people like a meme. and anything people don't like that someone likes makes that person edgy.

critiques are therefore pointless. unless we can turn them into memes.
>>
Anyone going to one of the shows?
>>
anyone got a gapless rip of the record?
>>
>>60304779
i also req this
>>
>>60304044
hey PC music is great
>>
Huge OPN fan, but even after multiple listens I can't help but feel that a couple of the tracks were kinda weak.
>>
>>60304779
>>60305013
Ditto. Or, if anyone happens to have a copy that they've edited the gaps out of, I'd appreciate that instead if a proper rip doesn't exist.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.