[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My High School's Newspaper Reviewed MPP
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 12
Tried posting this a few days ago, took it down a few minutes later. But here it is again. I'll let you decide whether this is the work of some Scaruffi level contrarian or not.

"Modern music is catchy and enjoyable, but it’s rare to come across unique, original content that breaks the industry archetype. “Merriweather Post Pavilion” by Animal Collective tackles a completely new brand of music by offering a myriad of uncommon music pieces. The album cannot be classified as pop, rock, classical or jazz, since its unique nature makes its genre hard to pin down. The band explores a new, eccentric style by adding everyday noises and bizarre musical sounds. Animal Collective’s style may seem strange to some, but it will definitely appeal to music venturists.

As its band name suggests, “Animal Collective” creatively integrates sounds from the animal kingdom. The first song “In the Flowers” begins with the fluttering of a butterfly’s wings– an introduction that lays the foundation for the song’s mellow and relaxing mood. In “Also Frightened,” deep, resonating drum beats establish pleasant, smooth transitions from one verse to the next. .As a common theme throughout many of the tracks, Animal Collective uses interesting objects such as wind chimes, single chords and hums not only as quirky additions but also as parts of the songs’ instrumental backbones."
>>
"Unfortunately, the lyrical and vocal aspects of “Merriweather Post Pavilion” are disappointing. The general feel of the voices in every song has a masked, auto-tuned quality to it, so this album is not for fans who want to see vocalists thrive. In addition, the two singers Dave Portner and Noah Lennox are often difficult to tell apart in the midst of the complicated and overwhelming sound effects. The majority of the songs focus too strongly on the instrumental aspects of music and fail to adequately develop lyrical themes that are equally as important. Therefore, the subpar depth of the lyrics, coupled with artificial, auto-tuned vocal performances, makes the album harder to enjoy.

A distinct exception to the poor standard of lyrics in the album is the track “Brother Sport,” which utilizes unique beats and repetition to match an emotional story behind the lyrics. The refrain “Open up your…” builds with intensity for two entire minutes until the singer finally reveals his deep desire—and tragic inability—to open up to his friends and family. The combination of incredibly passionate lyrics and suspense of an unfolding secret makes for a riveting listening experience."
>>
Legit description
>>
"“Bluish” is another song on the album that explores the theme of love with an alluring take. The artist longs for the presence of those who are out of sight, and the yearning tone in this song evokes feelings of sadness about meeting strangers and forgetting childhood friends. The lyrics “I’m getting lost in your curls, I’m getting rushed back on a whim” exemplify the artist’s deep infatuation with strangers and the social anxiety he suffers when he tries to connect with them. The engaging expression of lyrics and musical mood is perfectly suited towards the album’s theme of emotional complexity.

“Merriweather Post Pavilion” has both hits and misses. Some songs are intriguing and convey complicated human emotions, while others are simply off-putting because of their unusual styles. This album, although not necessarily a top seller, can still serve as an segue to less popular genres of music. Those looking to grasp a deeper understanding of the range of options music has to offer should consider “Merriweather Post Pavilion” as a starting point."

End of Review
>>
>>64562066
>auto-tuned vocal performances
???
>>
>>64562054
>High School
delete your 4chan account
>>
Underage ban
>>
You should be banned for underage but damn that is an awful review. Most of what they're saying is just wrong
>>
>>64562223
>>64562177
>>64562188

Should mention I'm 18
>>
>>64562240
Yeah probably
>>
>>64562117

No idea where that came from
>>
>The album cannot be classified as pop, rock, classical or jazz, since its unique nature makes its genre hard to pin down
>>
File: elephantseal.jpg (22 KB, 550x368) Image search: [Google]
elephantseal.jpg
22 KB, 550x368
>the album cannot be classified as pop
>music venturists
>masked autotuned quality
>>
I found the link to the article. Comments are empty...tear it a new anus

http://whshoofprint.com/scene/music/leaving-their-legacies-merriweather-post-pavilion/
>>
6/10 review
>>
File: image.jpg (43 KB, 640x633) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43 KB, 640x633
Hey guys I found
>the Breakdown
>>
>>64562555
Found the autist
>>
>>64562054
>The album cannot be classified as pop, rock, classical or jazz, since its unique nature makes its genre hard to pin down.
Those aren't the only four genres that exist, and each of those genres spans many subgenres. It wouldn't be too hard to classify it with a couple of descriptors if the author wanted to.
>The general feel of the voices in every song has a masked, auto-tuned quality to it, so this album is not for fans who want to see vocalists thrive.
What? Where is there any auto-tune? The vocals may be slightly obscured under some reverb but none of it sounds auto-tuned at all and they're not hard to hear in the slightest. And I don't know how you can listen to something like Guys Eyes and say the vocalists don't "thrive."
>The majority of the songs focus too strongly on the instrumental aspects of music and fail to adequately develop lyrical themes that are equally as important.
I'm really not one to throw the word "pleb" around but I don't know anyone who genuinely likes music that would say that lyrics are equally important to the music, and I'm sure a quick google search would find plenty of musicians echoing that. And even then, MPP has some of their least abstract lyrics and is pretty overt with its themes.
>The refrain “Open up your…” builds with intensity for two entire minutes until the singer finally reveals his deep desire—and tragic inability—to open up to his friends and family.
Did he even listen to the song? The lyrics aren't about Panda not opening up, they're about his brother not opening up.
>and the yearning tone in this song evokes feelings of sadness about meeting strangers and forgetting childhood friends. The lyrics “I’m getting lost in your curls, I’m getting rushed back on a whim” exemplify the artist’s deep infatuation with strangers and the social anxiety he suffers when he tries to connect with them.
I really don't know how someone so concerned about lyrics and themes could misinterpret them so badly.
>>
>>64562951

Don't tell OP tell the article writer
>>
>Sperging out about something some high-schooler wrote muh precious screaming retard band in a newspaper that like 5 people will read
Most of their examination of the album is accurate, save a few minor mistakes.
>>
>>64562951
>I'm really not one to throw the word "pleb" around but I don't know anyone who genuinely likes music that would say that lyrics are equally important to the music
You're right, it takes a true plebbit to think the words that some of the music is of comparable importance to the music itself. Like, I'm not saying that lyrics are unimportant, but holy fuck how retarded do you have to be to think it's equal with the fucking sound you're listing to?
>>
>>64562799
Those criteria look pretty arbitrary
>>
>>64562223
You sound like you're an obnoxious fag in real life.
>>
>>64563168
Not that I like the review but I don't think anyone to date has come up with criteria that aren't in some way arbitrary. In general I just don't think you can compute a score by taking the average of certain elements. Like, if you're gonna give it a numerical score then just give it one.
>>
>>64562951
>>64563097

OP here.

Yeah, from what I've found out the students that do the movie and music review sections are the students that have no story for the next issue. Often times someone who has literally zero interest in music or film gets assigned a review and they just write whatever works I guess.... Doesn't seem to be working out well
>>
Can they review anything by death grips?
>>
>>64563218
the idea of universal criteria for music is braindead

>>64562054
>>64562066
>>64562090
utterly disgusting
>>
>>64562054
why is your HS newspaper reviewing a 7 year-old album?
>>
>>64563582

Good question, not sure.

But it may interest you to know that they have a review of Ok Computer as well.

>19 year old album
>>
>>64563821
Post it.
>>
>>64563863
PART 1

From an array of breakthrough ‘90s alternative rock albums, Radiohead’s landmark album “OK Computer” was chosen to be archived in the Library of Congress alongside other “culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant” works of music. The controversial themes of “OK Computer” and the band’s successful experimentation with new instrumentals earned this 1997 album its landmark position in musical history and influenced generations of alternative rock bands to come.

Radiohead’s “OK Computer” deliberately steps away from the heavy, grunge style of its previous work “The Bends” and instead uses a new, diverse range of soothing instruments that ironically supplement this album’s cynical, underlying messages.

In “Let Down,” the repetitive droning of Thom Yorke’s voice expresses the listless, dry freedom people experience when they have nothing left to lose. “No Surprise” also has an idle, lazy mood, developing the idea of lethargically wasting time by using the lulling, slow effects of the glockenspiel and acoustic guitar. Radiohead creatively experiments with instruments to develop this hopeless mood in both songs, successfully evoking existential crises and forcing listeners to contemplate the very meaning of their lives through introspective lyrics. The use of instrumentals in the album also artistically links the gloomy mood of the song to its meaning.
>>
>>64563863
PART 2

On the other hand, “Fitter Happier” and “Paranoid Android” are easily the defining tracks of “OK Computer.” These two songs artfully summarize the entire album’s core themes in an unorthodox, haunting fashion. In “Fitter Happier,” a synthesized voice drones on and on about the routine monotony of “improved” modern life. According to the song, people in the future will be more productive but will also be forced to give up their emotions and humanity. Paired with melancholic background melodies, lyrics calling people “[pigs] in a cage on antibiotics” give harsh yet realistic insight about what society was like in the 1990s and where it was going. “Paranoid Android” also skillfully pairs instrumentals with the most intense themes of the album.
Three distinct melodies seamlessly transition into one another and emulate the separate sections of Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody.” The synthesized voice is used again and repeats “I may be paranoid, but not an android,” adding to the band’s critique of shallow mainstream culture. The layers of unique electric buzzes, guitar chords and dry vocals in this song undoubtedly laid the foundation for Radiohead’s later work and inspired future generations of alternative bands. Ultimately, “Fitter Happier” and “Paranoid Android” powerfully defined the future way of life in the 21st century and took the alternative music beyond just singing about angst.
>>
maybe a stupid question, but is the rating out of 5 or 10?
>>
File: >thebreakdown.png (57 KB, 2170x678) Image search: [Google]
>thebreakdown.png
57 KB, 2170x678
>>64563863
PART 3

Even today, “OK Computer” remains unprecedented and unmatched in musical innovation. Themes about the consequences of consumerism, emotional isolation and social alienation are sprinkled throughout the album to create a masterpiece that elicits a compelling, eye-opening realization in listeners. These ideals, which were progressive during Radiohead’s early era, make the album one of the most insightful and radical albums of the 1990s. “OK Computer” revolutionized the alternative rock industry by exploring new instrumentals and deeper themes, and it will definitely mesmerize listeners with a remarkable, thought-provoking experience.

Rating: 8.8

>Tfw the Arctic Monkey's debut album got a 9.1 on the same publication.
>>
They should review trout mask replica.
>>
>>64564020

Not a very stupid question, I think the author really made it vague as to whether they liked the album or not in their actual review.
>>
He gave Artic Monkeys a 9.1!! OK Computer got 8.8!! This guy is absolute shit.
>>
>>64564057
>>Tfw the Arctic Monkey's debut album got a 9.1 on the same publication.
Post that shit.
>>
>>64564188
PART 1

Raw vocals, upbeat instrumentals and carefree profanity highlight the spontaneous mood in Arctic Monkeys’ 2006 debut album “Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not.” By producing the number one fastest-selling debut album in UK chart history on its first attempt, the Arctic Monkeys set an impressive precedent for later rock bands and proved that great rock music can be universally appreciated.

Starting with 22 seconds of hardcore guitar and drums, the first song “The View from the Afternoon” sets up the explosive, rough nature of the album. While singing about the angst that comes with romantic anticipation, Turner sets the mood for the rest of the album with a hype-worthy beginning. In addition, lead vocalist Alex Turner has a Sheffield accent that pairs with the rock genre surprisingly well. This refreshing combination of British accents and rock music introduces a new element that gives the album its own personal style.

With a dauntless punk rock attitude, “I Bet You Look Good on the Dance Floor” expresses the perpetual conflict between the fear of commitment to relationships and the desire for devoted attention. Instead of imitating the typical moody love song, the members of the band let their inner souls pour out with completely organic expression. Love songs usually incorporate a mellow and soothing tone to suit emotional lyrics, but Arctic Monkeys ditches this normality by using passionate emotion to drive the album’s hardcore theme.
>>
>>64564188

Halfway into the album, “Riot Van” gives listeners a chance to take a break from the previous amplified madness with a slower song. The riot van, which is typically used to arrest individuals, alludes to the aftermath of Turner’s early 20’s party life. The lyrics tell the story of underage drinkers getting arrested and dealing with the self-realization that engulfs them afterwards. Managing to simultaneously convey contemplative sadness and emptiness, Turner’s softened, gloomy voice evokes an overwhelming sense of defeat and makes this melancholy song unlike any other within the album.

In the most dramatic single in the whole album, Arctic Monkeys transforms the mood in “Perhaps Vampires is a Bit Strong But…” from a mild sense of frustration into a intense, passionate rant about the band’s haters. The first half of the song consists of Turner metaphorically insulting these “vampires” who are trying to suck out his ambition, while the second half of the song uses blaring, abrasive instrumentals to rile people up. For more than two minutes, listeners can hear the pure talent of Jamie Cook, Matt Helders and Andy Nicholson as they parallel Turner’s aggression on their own drum sets and guitars. The harsh combination of all these elements, from the roaring instruments to the angry tone of Turner’s voice, revives a classic angsty garageband atmosphere.

“A Certain Romance” ends the album with a simple, melodious song about the dynamics of friendship. According to the lyrics, the certain platonic romance between friends allows for certain privileges that others cannot have. Gentle brushes on the cymbals and delicate guitar strumming conclude this hardcore rock album with a light-hearted story. After 41 minutes of listening to the band play their hearts out, people can settle down back into reality as the song fades out with a final guitar chord.
>>
File: >the breakdown.png (61 KB, 2220x738) Image search: [Google]
>the breakdown.png
61 KB, 2220x738
>>64564188
PART 3

Overall, the debut album “Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not” introduces Arctic Monkeys’ young and passionate energy. Jamming out to this album comes naturally, and taking the time to analyze the deeply symbolic lyrics is definitely an intriguing experience as well. Every individual track showcases a different facet of emotion—nostalgia, love or anger—that makes it unique, but all 13 songs in the album still fit perfectly together like puzzle pieces. You don’t have to be a die-hard rock music fan to understand why “New Musical Express” lists this album as the fifth greatest British album ever produced. While there are a few minor details throughout the album that could be improved on, they can simply be attributed to personal preference.

For anyone looking to listen to iconic and impactful music, check out “Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not.” This album is a rare find in the music industry, and each track is appealing in its own way. Like its name implies, this piece of work does not imitate the normal conventions of typical rock music — whatever people think this album is, Arctic Monkeys makes sure that’s what it’s not.

Rating: 9.1
>>
File: mc ride laugh.gif (2 MB, 391x220) Image search: [Google]
mc ride laugh.gif
2 MB, 391x220
>mfw he gave a fucking Panic! At the Disco album a 9.3

http://whshoofprint.com/scene/music/death-of-a-bachelor-exceeds-expectations/
>>
http://whshoofprint.com/scene/music/ology-introduces-gallants-talent/
http://whshoofprint.com/scene/movies/pride-and-prejudice-and-zombies-puts-a-twist-on-a-classic/
http://whshoofprint.com/scene/music/coldplay-embraces-an-evolved-style/
>>
http://whshoofprint.com/scene/music/coldplay-embraces-an-evolved-style/

http://whshoofprint.com/scene/music/adeles-25-radiates-rebirth/

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
>>
File: End.png (142 KB, 336x270) Image search: [Google]
End.png
142 KB, 336x270
>>64564406

>Coldplay takes its synth experimentation to the next level in its seventh studio album, “A Head Full of Dreams"
>>
File: 1460326899438.jpg (22 KB, 272x245) Image search: [Google]
1460326899438.jpg
22 KB, 272x245
>mfw he reviewed Nelson's Christmas album
>he gave it a 7.3
>>
File: Nick Cave laughing.jpg (163 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Nick Cave laughing.jpg
163 KB, 500x500
>>64564525
>he reviewed Kylie Minogue's Christmas album
>he gave it a 8
>>
http://whshoofprint.com/opinion/je-suis-aware-of-the-impact-of-our-words/

This guy is dumber than I thought.
>>
>making fun of high schoolers

Wew lad. Never change, /mu/.

Considering only a high schooler is behind the writing, the reviews aren't abysmal, but my goodness, the criticism and praise sure is reasoned through and elaborated on poorly.

The OK Computer review has been the best one so far though, tobehonest.
>>
>>64562555
That's my old high school, holy shit.
>>
>>64564456
>>64564517
That reviewer needs to be hung ... >>64562054
>>
>>64564289
>>64564311
>>64564344
wew lad
>>
I don't knwo if anyone saw it, but he gave Zayn Malik's (that guy that left 1 Direciton) a 9.5

it's hilarious
>>
>>64565239
Post it.
>>
>>64565499
http://whshoofprint.com/news/zayn-debuts-a-new-voice/
>>
File: 1462152276965.jpg (16 KB, 224x208) Image search: [Google]
1462152276965.jpg
16 KB, 224x208
>>64562799
>sounds/beats
>>
http://whshoofprint.com/scene/music/unwind-with-pentatonix/

whew lads
>>
File: ss (2016-05-03 at 09.05.53).jpg (46 KB, 354x463) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-05-03 at 09.05.53).jpg
46 KB, 354x463
i just puked in my mouth a little
>>
>>64564456
>giving that fat sow an 8.5
WHEW LADDIE
>>
Do people in your school actually pay attention to these meme reviews OP?
>>
@OP can you shove this fuckin loser in a locker
>>
>>64565874
I would hope not.

>>64565897
On it.
>>
>>64562555
>http://whshoofprint.com/scene/music/leaving-their-legacies-merriweather-post-pavilion/
Holy shit this is the nicest looking school-related website I've ever seen. Was it student designed or professional?
>>
>>64562054
I give this review a strong 3/10, which is generous.
>>
>>64566998
I give your tripfag mess a 3
>>
>>64567688
, which is generous.
>>
Is this a review of a garden?
http://whshoofprint.com/scene/review/keeping-in-touch-with-natures-roots/

what the fuck?
>>
File: Garden.jpg (189 KB, 925x925) Image search: [Google]
Garden.jpg
189 KB, 925x925
>>64568857

You bet your ass it is.
>>
>>64562054
I was relieved until I realized that it's out of 5.
>>
>>64562054
>>64566575
Op, are all these reviews written a overweight tumblr hipster chick?
>>
>>64562799
>sounds/beats

hmm...
>>
>>64563237
this review would be pretty decent if it was written by someone with 0 musical knowledge (ex: billboard top 40s.) however, you can feel the pretentiousness and shallow knowledge of music throughout the entire read.

then again he's a high schooler, so it's not completely embarrassing.
>>
>>64562799
>sounds/beats

Also how does one rate the "mood" of something? Anyway its a high school publication so of course it sucks
>>
Who the hell is going to, and keep in mind this is people who haven't heard AC before, who in the fucking world is going to read a review like "It's got butterfly wing noises! That's why it's good!!" and have any interest in listening to this album. Never going to happen.
>>
>>64570129
I would probabably rate MPP like a 7 or 8 in highschool. It came out my senior year and I listened to it and enjoyed it. There was a lot of hype on /mu/ when it came out. Thems were the good ol dayz.
>>
>>64562799
>mood
what, does the summer happy mood not your thing? whoever reviewed the album obviously did not understand the album.
why would they review a 7 year old album? its obviously modern psych pop.
Even scaruffi gave it a better score.
Does the reviewer not understand what the lyrics of brother sport are?
>kek/10
>>
>>64563237
that explains a lot

>>64570047
this is probably what happened, the author of this THINKS they know shit about music. Someone with 0 knowledge of music couldn't sound this full of themselves, they would just say things like "I liked it" or "the vocals were really good", which would be preferable to what we got.

But you're right, they're in HS and probably not a music autist (I'm assuming based on the fact that they write for the paper), so I can't fault them too much, especially when they didn't go out of their way to be the writer of this article.
>>
>>64562799
ANCO BTFO
>>
>>64562054
Better taste than most of /mu/, MPP is a solid 4
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.