[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CORRECT track order for Mellon Collie
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 8
File: smashing-pumpkins-mellon-collie.jpg (205 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
smashing-pumpkins-mellon-collie.jpg
205 KB, 900x900
Link to correctly ordered playlist on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNE6zmiQ38Yq1BXEEc7UgUaIhGV90zEcq

Have you heard Smashing Pumpkins' Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness? You know how it sounded more like a bunch of songs then actual concept album?

Turns out Mellon Collie was supposed to be listened in a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TRACK ORDER. For some reason, it was completely fucked on CDs and cassettes, probably due to commerical reasons, because the singles were put in the beginning. ONLY 1995 VINYL HAD THE CORRECT ORDER OF THE TRACKS, you can check it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mellon_Collie_and_the_Infinite_Sadness#Original_vinyl_version —you need to look for "Original Vinyl version", in which the third track is "Thirty-Three", NOT "Jellybelly".

It makes complete sense and sounds infinitely better. It's the way it was meant to be experienced. I guarantee you it will blow your mind how smooth, logical and coherent the album becomes. It all sounds like one big symphony in 6 LPs.

And no—THEY DIDN'T FIX IT FOR ALL REMASTERS, AND EVEN CHANGED IT FOR 2012 VINYL. Only the 1995 vinyl has it right. Why? No one knows.

You can either listen to it on YT, rearrange tracks on your own, or get the 1995 vinyl (or its rip). Works any way.

You can read more in the previous thread: >>64501579
>>
To clarify just how different it is:

—The CD puts almost all singles in the beginning of side 1. The rest of tracks is just shuffled without any real reason. In result side 2 sounds like a collection of b-sides.

—The vinyl divides them in 6 LPs, titled Dawn, Tea Time, Dusk, Twilight, Midnight, Starlight. Every one has distinctive sound, and is essentially a chapter with its part of plot. Tracks seamlessly fit into each other.

Here's an example of correct track order:

Side one – Dawn
1. "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" 2:52
2. "Tonight, Tonight" 4:14
3. "Thirty-Three" 4:10
4. "In the Arms of Sleep" 4:12
5. "Take Me Down" 2:52

Here's the example of CD order:
CD1
1. "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" 2:52
2. "Tonight, Tonight" 4:14
3. "Jellybelly" 3:01
4. "Zero" 2:41
5. "Here Is No Why" 3:45

You can clearly see it's completely different and makes no sense, except to place hits in the beginning.
>>
>>64515215
You can take one LP and start listening because every LP is kinda complete in itself.

For example:
Side two – Tea Time
1. "Jellybelly" 3:01
2. "Bodies" 4:12
3. "To Forgive" 4:17
4. "Here Is No Why" 3:45
5. "Porcelina of the Vast Oceans"

Here are 4 upbeat rockers, and one slow acoustic track.

Side five – Midnight

1. "Where Boys Fear to Tread" 4:22
2. "Zero" 2:41
3. "Fuck You (An Ode to No One)" 4:51
4. "Love" 4:21
5. "X.Y.U."

This is where things go Nine Inch Nails—dark, violent, crazy and angry.

Compare this to:

Side four – Twilight
1. "1979" 4:25
2. "Beautiful" 4:18
3. "Cupid de Locke" 2:50
4. "By Starlight" 4:48
5. "We Only Come Out at Night" 4:05

All quiet, happy songs.
>>
>>64515048
And for those who want DL: anon delivered >>64513161
>>
File: Smashing Pumpkins.jpg (127 KB, 640x635) Image search: [Google]
Smashing Pumpkins.jpg
127 KB, 640x635
For organization purposes, what would the three LP's be labeled?

Dawn/Tea Time
Dusk/Twilight
Midnight/Starlight
>>
>>64515382
I guess that's good. The original LP simply have labels like "Dusk" on each side. They have different colors of stickers, but I don't think there's an official name for each LP, so that way it works.
>>
>>64515457
I'm just going based on the Vinyl sides.
The Mega anon uploaded had the album in three parts. Each part is comprised of the two sides.

Its a shame the Re-Issued Vinyl didn't follow the tracklist
>>
Twilight is best side
>>
>>64515500
Ah, OK.

>Its a shame the Re-Issued Vinyl didn't follow the tracklist

Yep, I have no idea what they were thinking. CD/cassette track list is more like best hits record, because it completely destroys the narrative. It simply makes no sense.

No reviews of the album I've read seem to be aware of it though.
>>
>tfw internet is so shit and the mega link is on flac
anyone got a pleb mp3 version, i guess i can convert it later
>>
>>64515560
I like all of them. Each one represents different side of SP sound. Each has a part of the plot I can relate to.

My personal favorites are Tea Time, Dusk and Twilight.
>>
>>64515605
I'll try to convert from vinyl rip. What to choose, V0 or 320? And where to host?
>>
This is a fucking discovery yo great job. Fuuuuuck me will there be og 1995 pressings available
>>
>>64515688
320 on mega i guess
thanks a lot
>>
I remember reading this a few years ago but i never thought it would be this important.
Looks like no one on RYM knows about this either.
>>
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:45A3987AECBF9D7104BA2C49217123CFF98E5052 you're welcome
>>
>>64515847
I know right? I'm surprised no one is aware of it. One of the most famous albums of the '90s, with tons of fans, and I see literally nothing on it in google.
>>
uploading a mp3 320 version with edited information
>>
>>64515860
Is this the same one on mega? Who ripped it?
>>
>>64516027
OP here, I guess yours will upload faster, mine needs 10-20 minutes
>>
>>64516051
PBTHAL
>>
>>64516066
Oh shit was it his "answer to the miniwax" edition? I'm reading about it on what and apparently that's the best one out there
>>
>>64516106
yep
>>
>>64516166
Thanks a fuck ton anon, check'd too
>>
Downloaded FLAC version from previous thread. converted to mp3 320kbps.
Edited the title and added Vinyl artwork.
Feel free to modify and improve.

https://mega.nz/#F!EcknWLTZ!EX5-lZsKqLc2bZ0oJrgEMg
>>
>>64516194

THANK you!!

>>64515048
OP I'd glossed over this fact so many times on the Wikipedia page...don't know how I never even tried listening to it that way. You're right, it makes SO much more sense!
>>
>>64516194
Beat me to it. Good job
>>
listening to this right now, fuck this went from 8/10 to 10/10
>>
>>64516229
I myself had no idea it was so different. I didn't expect major changes. Especially when no one talks about it
>>
>>64516349
Same. I wonder how Corgan/Virgin managed to fuck up so badly. And the problem is, Corgan doesn't even talk about it. He had a chance with remasters, instead they fucked up even the vinyls.

It's really ridiculous. We get 64 bonus tracks, but no correct track order!
>>
>>64516463
I bet billy just didn't give a shit
>>
>>64516463
maybe he cared, but didnt put up a fight.
then when remasters came around, he didnt care, or forgot.

im still waiting on that Machina I/II reissue.
>>
>>64516544
>>64516697
This I just can't wrap my mind around.

Mellon Collie is not just an ordinary album. It's a conceptual album. Moreover, it's supposed to be Corgan's magnum opus. Also, it's the best-selling SP album, considered by many a classic.

And it was butchered completely. The original vision was distorted.

Take Iggy and the Stooges' Raw Power. Iggy remastered it and changed it to his vision. Take Let It Be… Naked. Again, McCartney went the extra mile to just change it according to his vision.

Mellon Collie is Corgan's life story, basically. And he somehow is fine that the songs on it had been shuffled like a deck of cards. He doesn't even need to change the sound—all it takes is ask for a different track order. At least for vinyl.

And yet here we are, with these fucked up reissues. Is he bound by the contract or something? This is simply ridiculous. Sure he could do something with it—I don't know, maybe rearrange them on iTunes? Make it a special edition or something?

Or is he waiting for its 30th anniversary? To say, "Ta-daah! Y'all've been fooled"?

All while millions of people have listened to it, tried to understand it and thought there was no plot and everything was just a mashup of songs.
>>
You guys must be casual Pumpkins listeners because it's pretty common knowledge among the fans that the original vinyl has a different tracklisting than the cd.
>>
>>64517034
Yeah but not a lot of people have the vinyl version of it.
>>
Yuck, that '95 original track order just doesn't feel right to me.
>>
>>64517034
Well I assumed this. At least someone should've known.

But I've never heard of it before. I tried to google it, but found nothing mentioned. No word in reviews—critics are supposed to do their research, right?

Plus, getting the 1995 vinyl would be hard now. I wouldn't expect such a thing to happen—not with Corgan.
>>
>>64517097
You mean the vinyl?

The beginning is a bit slow/melancholic. Start from any side. For example, Jellybelly, Bullet With Butterfly Wings, 1979, Where Boys Fear to Thread or Stumbleine. You will immediately realize how much better they sound.
>>
Even Scaruffi got confused, I guess he listened to the CD:

> The monumental Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness (1995) sounded like a series of uncontrolled urges to experiment with all sorts of formats (symphonic, acoustic, bubblegum, glam, easy-listening, avantgarde). The common denominator of these schizophrenic fits was the atmosphere, a disorienting blend of fairy tale and Freudian confession.
>>
>>64517211
Someone tell him about this he might give it an 8.5
>>
>>64517182
Not to me it doesn't. I got way too used to the CD version for way too many years. It's gonna stick with me like that.

>plus two more songs
Just what that album needed.
>>
>>64517255
I see perfectly sell where you're coming from. I also got used to the adrenaline rush of the old track list.

That said, if you want to at least get the gist of what Corgan was singing about, and experience the album the way it was meant to be listened, you know what to do. You can read my summary of it: >> 64512984

Also, I guarantee you you will start liking the second half of the album. It wins so much from this. Start from 1979—see how it was meant to be paired with Beautful, Cupid de Locke and other songs. Then comes Midnight, and hear Corgan's rage.

The transitions are so much better too. They just sound natural, like the songs didn't even end. I strongly urge you to re-listen to it. But of course tastes differ and I understand that after all those years it feels like sacrilege and total brainfuck.
>>
>>64517255
Also, the two songs: they add just 6 minutes. Both are at the very end and technically, you could without them.

Remember it's a concept album, inspired by The Wall. I agree it's fucking long. But you can listen to any of 6 sides separately.
>>
>>64517239
I'm seriously going to email him about it right now
>>
I have the original triple limited vinyl with number, unplayed. Should have bought two copies. I bought it thinking it would be worth more than it is now, and they wouldn't re-release it.
>>
>>64516194
Based anon, thanks
>>
>>64517460
You're very lucky. Convince Corgan to never re-release it with the correct track order, then your record will cost even more.
>>
>>64517518
There's some small strain lines on the top of the cover, how do you store vinyl properly?

Each side is a different time of day and there are one or two bonus tracks which I didn't hear until youtube. Apprently there are like 10000 bootleg copies of it. The vinyl factory must have thought we can do our own batch and sell them too
>>
I've never actually listened to this album in full before. Seems like a good opportunity to.
>>
>>64517559
Sorry, I don't even have records myself. Maybe buy some transparent sleeves or something.

Yep, each side is supposed to be Dusk/Twilight/Midnight and so on.
>>
The thing you don't factor in is changing all the fucking sides. Its a bitch to put a record on lie down and listen to 5 songs then have to get up and change the side again. That's why I don't get vinyl.
>>
>>64516194
Amazing share. Thanks pal!
>>
At the time it was exactly what we wanted. A fucking double album to immerse yourself in by the siamese dream band. It is a little too rushed and less polished but then they had a lot of songs to get through. Brilliant but you ended up skipping tracks.

The aeroplane flies high was great too, practically another double album of similar quality in b sides. Then the band was finished.
>>
>>64517673
Definitely do. It's one of Smashing Pumpkins' greatest albums even without the correct order. With the correct track listing it's on par with Loveless and Siamese Dreams.

>>64517783
True, but no one said you should get vinyl. Simply listen to mp3s/FLAC whatever. Or get a CD if you want, rip it and change the track order.

Also, every side of vinyl obviously has different moods. The time it takes to change the side is supposed to create a pause, set the stage for a different chapter.
>>
OK morons. This is complete bullshit there was no right order, the tracks are interchanged in the 1995 vinyl because they didn't fit with the CD order. Back then CD called the shots.

Stop.
>>
>>64517861
>The aeroplane flies high was great too, practically another double album of similar quality in b sides.
This too. Their b-sides were amazing.
>>
>>64517896
But it does sound better.
>>
>>64518139
You're probably one of those faggots who listened to Lateralus according to the "math of the album".

God what a fucking faggot.
>>
>>64517896
Can you back up your claim?

There are many signs that vinyl has the correct order. There's no dissonance, disconnectedness between the tracks. They fit lyrically and musically to the time of day that of each side of the LP. CD version just puts the singles as the first tracks, which really looks like it was done for commercial reasons. The rest of tracks are shuffled to force variety.

Example 1—Thirty-Three has the following lyrics:

> Tomorrow's just an excuse away
So I pull my collar up and face the cold, on my own
> The sun is out and up and down again

It's apparent to me he is talking about leaving home in the morning. The music also has this "morning" theme. Yet on CD, this track is in the middle of the side 2—from Twilight to Starlight.

Example 2—on CD, Stumbleine, a song about support and believing in each other, is followed by enraged X.Y.U., and then We Only Come Out At Night. Is there any meaning in it?

On vinyl, Stumbleine comes after X.Y.U., and is followed by Lily. It makes total sense: he's enraged at a girl for lying to him, but forgives her, agrees to catch her fall (hence "Stumble-ine") and walks her home.

I can provide much more examples to you.
>>
>>64515860
This is the same as the FLAC mega link right? The torrent is either dead or I'm doing it wrong
>>
Well, so far this is much more enjoyable.

I've tried to listen to Mellon Collie about 4 times in full and I've never been able to make it through. Right now I'm not even bored and I'm about halfway through.
>>
>>64518221
Lol okay.

Also, I just learned that Thru the Eyes of Ruby contains approximately 70 guitar tracks... Jesus.
>>
>>64518249
>I've tried to listen to Mellon Collie about 4 times in full and I've never been able to make it through. Right now I'm not even bored and I'm about halfway through.
Fucking this. I've tried to listen to this album a bunch of times and I've gotten bored every time. This is so well-paced it's keeping my interest.
>>
>>64518241
I think the link is incorrect, magnet links are usually longer

320 kbps link to Mega anon provided >>64516194
>>
>>64518223
>being this autistic
>>
>>64518249
>>64518274
Its a placebo, if you really wanted to, you could bring yourself to listen to the CD order, just like the 10s of thousands of 90s people did
>>
>>64518287
It's the same magnet link from pbthal's blog, I managed to find it on archive but I guess there's no seeders. I'm just hoping the mega FLAC is the same rip cos that's the best one available
>>
>>64518309
>Its a placebo
Yeah, track order doesn't matter at all. We should just listen to every album on shuffle.

Murder yourself. Faggot.
>>
>>64518309
Y'know you say that but I always stop at the same point before I just skip to 1979 and quit before listening to anything past that. There are songs on this album that I've still never heard.
>>
>>64517896
>>64518223
To follow this up.

Example 3: on CD, Where Boys Fear to Tread, Fuck You (An Ode to No One), Zero, Love and X.Y.U. are literally scattered along the whole album, despite having very similar evil mood and Nine Inch Nails–like sound.

On vinyl, they are in this exact order. Moreover, there's a narrative about them: they describe sex, then Corgan's sickness with fake people around him, then how sick he is of his pretend-love, and finally him learning his girlfriend had a miscarriage and became infertile. XYU ends with a long coda and the mood changes immediately after it for, surprise, another 5 tracks.

So? What do you say to it?
>>
>>64517381
>That said, if you want to at least get the gist of what Corgan was singing about, and experience the album the way it was meant to be listened, you know what to do. You can read my summary of it: >> 64512984
I actually did listen to the album in its original 1995 vinyl track order some time ago. I never had an original pressing but I did that just to see what it was like. It was good and it did have a slightly different spin to it. I've always just thought the track order on the CD was perfect. Divided in half, Dawn to Dusk, Twilight to Starlight and all that. Take Me Down and Goodbye and Farewell bookending each half. The singles are in a nice order because they fit well within the album itself anyway. I like how X.Y.U. is the last banger and the last five songs are softer innocent sounding songs that kind of lull you out of the album. I guess it's just good to me the way it is. I'm not trying to change your opinion of it or anything, but I appreciate you trying to shine light to other people on an alternate order of the album, whether it was the way it was intended to be or not. I've never heard Corgan himself say the 95 vinyl is the definitive one though.

>>64517414
>Remember it's a concept album, inspired by The Wall. I agree it's fucking long. But you can listen to any of 6 sides separately.
Is it, though? It's not really in the sense of it telling a vaguely linear story or having a single overarching theme. Billy Corgan himself rejected the notion that Mellon Collie is a concept album in that sense.
>>
>>64518309
I understand perfectly well why you're enraged. I was really annoyed because it's a huge brainfuck. You're forced to forget the old Mellon Collie and experience it from scratch.

But. If you listen to it, you will immediately realize just how much more closer it sounds to Siamese Dream. Like a true follow up to it. Not disconnected pieces of music with seemingly no logic, but a real concept album.

Corgan has always said it was supposed to be the Wall for the '90s generation. And I believe vinyl truly conveys his vision. That's all. I have no interest in persuading you to listen to this record any further. I just want people to know the truth, that there's much more to this album than you could hear on CD.
>>
>>64518503
stop samefagging this is shit no one cares about
>>
>>64518514
If you don't care, then why are you even in this thread?
>>
all you plebs claiming this is the "correct" track order remind me of those fucking idiots who buy into that ridiculous "Ones and Zeros" thing with Radiohead
>>
>>64518474
> Take Me Down and Goodbye and Farewell
I'm glad you mentioned these 2 tracks in particular, If you take a look at vinyl track list, you'll see they serve as closers for their respective sides, Dawn and Starlight. Every side has an "intro" and a closer.

Farewell and Goodnight isn't the last track though, but I view the track after it as more of an extra, like credits. Siamese Dream had something similar—kind of reminding us it's the last page, but everything will repeat again.

Speaking of the sides: each side has a distinctive sound. I mentioned Where Boys Fear to Tread—>Fuck You (An Ode to No One)—>Zero—>Love—>X.Y.U. already. IMO it's so much easier it's to listen to them this way. Each side is like a movement in a symphony. There's no jumps from style to style, but every time you turn the vinyl, everything changes drastically (see Take Me Down (end of side 1)—> Jelly Belly (start of side 2)).

>Is it, though? It's not really in the sense of it telling a vaguely linear story or having a single overarching theme. Billy Corgan himself rejected the notion that Mellon Collie is a concept album in that sense.
From Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mellon_Collie_and_the_Infinite_Sadness#cite_ref-RS_Fricke_7-0):

> Corgan felt that the band's musical approach was running its course, and wanted the band to approach the album as if it were its last.[7] Corgan described the album at the time to the music press as "The Wall for Generation X"

OK, maybe he didn't call it concept album. But he sure as hell said it was supposed to be like The Wall.
>>
>>64518598
it's literally the fucking track order on the vinyl, not some random shit the fans made up
suck my fucking cock you cuck
>>
>>64518912
Loving every laugh.
>>
>>64515048
Not surprised to be honest. I always thought it sounded out of order until now.
>>
>>64518912
Yeah I know it's not made up by fans, but just because it's an alternate track listing doesn't mean it's "correct". You guys are hung up on novelty, is all I'm saying.

And go suck your own cock.
>>
Talking about the Wall, Mellon Collie vinyl has some things in common with it.

Quiet start, growing frustration with the society, family, finding satisfaction in love, then flipping your shit. Except Mellon Collie is more upbeat for the most part, except midnight, and Corgan actually forgives his GF and carries on.

Of course these are still very different albums, but similar in some ways. Same concept of parts with their distinctive topics and intros/endings.
>>
>>64518967
Not a single person on this entire fucking board has ever said that it's the "correct" track listing just because it's an alternative one. The reasons for it being better than the original have been stated ITT already.
>>
>>64519040
>Not a single person on this entire fucking board has ever said
>implying it's not implied
>>
>>64519040
>Not a single person on this entire fucking board has ever said that it's the "correct" track
>>64515048
Nigga, I like this track listing better, but goddamn
>>
>>64519073
Nobody implied that.

>>64519115
Nice job only reading half of my post.
>>
>>64518870
>I'm glad you mentioned these 2 tracks in particular, If you take a look at vinyl track list, you'll see they serve as closers for their respective sides, Dawn and Starlight. Every side has an "intro" and a closer.
Yeah I noticed.

>Farewell and Goodnight isn't the last track though, but I view the track after it as more of an extra, like credits.
Ah, but I think it should be. I always thought it was a fitting end, almost taking a page out of the book of the White Album and end the double album with a sort of lullaby saying good night to the audience or whoever.

>Siamese Dream had something similar—kind of reminding us it's the last page, but everything will repeat again.
Luna? I don't see it like that at all. Perhaps you're talking about Sweet Sweet.

>Speaking of the sides: each side has a distinctive sound.
That may be accurate, but its track order suffers from that to me, and it actually translates into a less cohesive whole album. The fact that they're divided as such, for example Midnight (side 5) being the heaviest almost makes the thing feel like 6 mini albums rather than one whole unit. I love the fact that the CD version constantly fluctuates between the loud and the quiet, the crushing and the serene. Having an album of such scale be divided in two large pieces encourages the listener to take it all in in one (or two) sittings, kind of making it a roller coaster of different emotions.

>But he sure as hell said it was supposed to be like The Wall.
That's all well and good, but that doesn't mean it's the same type of concept album. I'd imagine that Corgan would have been more adamant about the particular track order if it couldn't be altered properly between the '95 vinyl and CD versions. The fact that Corgan himself has always seemed to be fine with both suggests to me that they both work completely well as per his particular vision of the album.
>>
>>64519147
Whatever the reason, it's still idiotic to call this the "correct" track listing. It's just the vinyl track listing. Big fuckin deal.
>>
File: 1415377482870.png (36 KB, 249x212) Image search: [Google]
1415377482870.png
36 KB, 249x212
>>64519210
it's objectively better and if you don't think so you're a pleb :DDDD
>>
>>64515048
Mods archive this plz. Best /mu/ thread with actual discussion and shit I've seen in a long time.
>>
>>64519210
You are free to pretend track listings don't matter, but that doesn't mean everyone else should do the same.
>>
>>64518967
Look, in the previous thread >>64501579 , I asked why Mellon Collie sound so weird. I even made this assumption >>64505896 .

Then I looked in Wikipedia and thought something wasn't right. But just by looking at the vinyl track order, I suddenly realized that it all made sense. Instead of fractioned, assorted record I'd expect from guys like Guided by Voices, suddenly I had Siamese Dreams, but more like The Wall.

It's not even in the novelty. Read people's opinions in the previous thread if you want. Listen to the transitions they mention. You can simply feel they flow much easier. Each track picks up where the previous left. 6 sides, every one has its own style/topic.

The pieces of the puzzle finally fit. Porcelina of the Vast Ocean is so long because it ends the first LP. Every contrasting new song marks the new side. It just makes sense. And the story finally feels completed. You read the lyrics, and they feel like a novel—not like assorted poems from different authors.

I'm just really happy that after all these years, I can finally experience Mellon Collie as a consecutive album, the worthy follow-up to Siamese Dreams. I just thought people would enjoy it, that's all. If you don't, alright. If you do, alright too. I have already enjoyed it so much I don't care if you will. Now I just want to discuss it with others, because it feels like a new album and I like talking about music I like.
>>
The vinyl tracklisting even has two extra songs that help cap off the album.
>>
>>64519277
You're right dude. Don't listen to anyone other than the SP fans in here who all admit that this sounds better than the original listing.
>>
>>64519377
Smashing Pumpkins is my favourite band and I prefer the CD track listing.
>>
>>64519392
>Smashing Pumpkins is my favourite band
>I prefer the CD track listing
Pick one
>>
>>64519423
>I am a Smashing Pumpkins fan
>I just found out about the vinyl tracklisting of their most famous album

Pick one
>>
I just finished Dawn and am starting Tea Time right now, and I have to agree that they seem to fit very well thematically.

I hadn't listened to this album in several years and it sounds kind of fresh and interesting again.
>>
>>64519191
>Ah, but I think it should be. I always thought it was a fitting end, almost taking a page out of the book of the White Album and end the double album with a sort of lullaby saying good night to the audience or whoever.
Actually, I said the same in the previous thread and here I agree with you. I do enjoy Farewell as the last track more, although I don't really mind Infinite Sadness.

>Siamese Dream had something similar—kind of reminding us it's the last page, but everything will repeat again.
Luna? I don't see it like that at all. Perhaps you're talking about Sweet Sweet.
Yeah, my bad. I always thought Sweet Sweet sounded a little different from what I'd expect.

> That may be accurate, but its track order suffers from that to me, and it actually translates into a less cohesive whole album. The fact that they're divided as such, for example Midnight (side 5) being the heaviest almost makes the thing feel like 6 mini albums rather than one whole unit. I love the fact that the CD version constantly fluctuates between the loud and the quiet, the crushing and the serene. Having an album of such scale be divided in two large pieces encourages the listener to take it all in in one (or two) sittings, kind of making it a roller coaster of different emotions.
I agree with this to some extent. But I'd say each side sounds more like a big song, and this actually fits well with Siamese Dreams "framework"—some songs on it had enough hooks/transitions to fill 2-3 good tracks.

And if you think of these sides as big songs, they actually are DIRECTLY opposed to each other. I mentioned Take Me Down—>Jellybelly; I must add Porcelina…—>Buttefly…, Tales of The Scorched Earth—> 1979/Beautiful, We Only Come Out at Night—>Where Boys Fear to Thread.

I fully agree that overall this is not a diverse mass of tracks like on CD, but the plot, the distinctive mood, "time of day" concept holds every side together, and makes the album very consecutive, narrative.
>>
Machina ii was really great
>>
>>64519191
>That's all well and good, but that doesn't mean it's the same type of concept album. I'd imagine that Corgan would have been more adamant about the particular track order if it couldn't be altered properly between the '95 vinyl and CD versions. The fact that Corgan himself has always seemed to be fine with both suggests to me that they both work completely well as per his particular vision of the album.
I'll just say that it's a complete mystery to me why Corgan didn't say anything about it.

But the story, the lyrics suffer immensely from it. On vinyl, it's flows kind of like The Catcher in the Rye—you have the hero's thoughts on life, about his girlfriend and so on.

According to Wikipedia,

> A concept album is a studio album where all musical or lyrical ideas contribute to a single overall theme or unified story.

I think that's exactly what we have on Mellon Collie, vinyl '95 edition.
>>
>>64519462
I pick the second one.

The only album I even have of theirs on my computer is Adore.
>Ava Adore
>Perfect
>Those other songs that would be 10/10 if they were cut in half
>>
File: c640x360_47.jpg (16 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
c640x360_47.jpg
16 KB, 640x360
OH SHIT
RENAME THE FIRST TRACK TO JUST MELLON COLLIE, ITS MAKES A LOT MORE SENSE NOW THAT THE LAST TRACK ON THE WHOLE ALBUM IS CALLED INFINITE SADNESS
>>
File: 1458453670623.png (484 KB, 626x431) Image search: [Google]
1458453670623.png
484 KB, 626x431
>>64519691
>>
>>64519568
I'll add that some songs don't flow as well together for me. Tonight, Tonight going into Thirty-Three, HINY going into Porcelina, Beautiful going into Cupid, etc. I don't know. It's always seemed weird.

>>64519663
>I'll just say that it's a complete mystery to me why Corgan didn't say anything about it.
Given the kind of guy he is, if he didn't consider the CD version its equal, he'd have probably spoken up about it. Or at the very least not limited the vinyl edition to an absurdly low amount of copies. If that was the definitive one. But they both are.

>I think that's exactly what we have on Mellon Collie, vinyl '95 edition.
Given a definition as broad as that it's exactly what we have with the CD edition too.
>>
Personally Adore is my fav SP album.
This alternative tracklist to Mellon Collie album.
There are many tracks I regularly skip, especially on the second disc.
This new tracklist gives me the chance to hear songs I otherwise would have continued to ignore.
Good job.
>>
File: Machina_ii.jpg (36 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Machina_ii.jpg
36 KB, 300x300
>>64519750
>Or at the very least not limited the vinyl edition to an absurdly low amount of copies.

Machina 2 was only 25 vinyl copies
>>
>>
>>64519750
>Tonight, Tonight going into Thirty-Three
Actually, I also really felt it was really surprising on the first listen.

The CD goes with the explosive, almost punk Jellybelly for #3. It's veyr cool dynamically, I admit it.

But vinyl, on the other hand, sticks to the theme of Side 1: "Dawn". First, notice how there's no dissonance in the transition: Thirty-Three smoothly slides in with its down-to-earth guitar. It's not the sound of Corgan rocking out: it's the sound of Corgan waking up and dressing for school/college/work, lazily thinking that "tomorrow's just an excuse away".

Tonight, Tonight serves to remind of the big anticipation of the day: meeting his GF. It's pretty cinematic this way.

On the CD, however, Jellybelly immediately jumps to something different. I like it a lot, it's a very saturated transition full of drive.

And yet on vinyl, it provides even bigger contrast, kicking the record "for real". After somewhat slow, lazy, morning-themed "Dawn", it comes like a cannonball out of the blue.
>>
I never bothered to listen to it, should I do it with the this listing?
>>
>>64519750
> HINY going into Porcelina
Reminded me of Soma. Also, its topic (general reflection on adolescent life, carelessness) fits Tea Time. I agree it was a little strange until I realized it was the ending of the first LP, that's why it sounded kind of like a closer.

> Beautiful going into Cupid

I also found it a little less seamless than other ones, but the lyrics make total sense at least: saw the girl (Beautiful)—>talk about love with starry harp-like synths playing. I think it means to convey a strong overwhelming emotion, hence why it's so different.

The song after it also kind of changes the scenery, I think that's exactly the term I was looking for.

> Given a definition as broad as that it's exactly what we have with the CD edition too.

I don't agree much with this, as on the CD the story is very shattered, more like unconnected episodes from life.

Also, you mentioned the loud-quiet-loud dynamics, and I agree this was one of my favorite things about the CD listing. Where the vinyl started slow, vinyl exploded with Nevermind-like start.

But it echoed in the rest of the record on CD: it's pretty disorienting, often boring, heading in weird directions. The only thing that remains constant is loud-quiet-loud, and it becomes annoying to me after 5-6 times. Disc 2 also lacks in energy.
>>
>>64520150
I strongly recommend it. May be slow, but I've been listening all day to it now. It flows beautifully. It's considered the '90s classic by most, and vinyl tack list is inifinitely better.
>>
So what's the concept of the album given the vinyl track listing, exactly? Is there a place to read a song by song break down?
>>
>>64520392
The big concept is that every side of vinyl corresponds to a different time of day (Dawn, Dusk and so on).

The whole story is supposedly one day of young Billy's life. He shares his feelings, thoughts about his present, past, relationships and world as a whole. See >>64512984 for a more detailed analysis.
>>
>>64519947
Yeah, but Machina 2 was made at the dawn of digital file sharing. It was supposed to be released en masse, just in a different format. Mellon Collie came out in 1995, and if you wanted the vinyl track order you had to have it physically. And very few were ever actually printed.
>>
>>64520392

This >>64520458 is just his interpretation of it. The times of day/night seem accurate (which is also the case on the CD albeit a little different) but it seems very vague. Even with the vinyl track order it doesn't seem to be telling a particular linear story, certainly not a single day in young Billy's life. But anyway, it's a concept album in a more abstract way for me. To me it feels like a warm summer night, looking up into the stars kind of album.
>>
>>64520392
I kind of omitted the first several tracks, so I'll cover them here.

The first side: "Dawn"

The first track is a prelude.

The second one is a grand opener, it sets the stage for the whole album. It depicts the young, angsty Corgan, in anticipation of tonight's party, reflecting on how the young inevitably have to change.

Thirty-Three is him lazily preparing for the new day which is "just an excuse away", fixing his collar for the day.

In the Arms of Sleep wanting to be with his GF at that moment.

Take Me Down is a bit vague, it mentions "the underground" and was written by Iha. I understand it as feeling anxious before the world again.

Side 2: Tea Time

Jellybelly suddenly kicks in the more familliar SP sound, which works as a big contrast from the lazy morning. This is the sound of angsty, wild youth, full of energy and disdain for the rules of society.

The rest of the side is pretty similar and talks about youth, young lust and loneliness (Bodies), reflecting on the childhood and how he had to act happy when he realized long ago that he was really sad (To Forgive), boring drag of life and not wanting to live like adults (Here Is No Why), dreaming of big pure love and perfect life "without a care in this world" (Porcelina of the Cast Oceans).
>>
>>64520599
See >>64520622
>>
Thank you so much OP! I have been procrastinating giving this one a listen, but now that this has come up, i see a definite reason to!
>>
>>64520631
Again, this is just one man's interpretation. An interesting one, and a valid one of course, but by no means objective. For example, he's even said An Ode To No One was written about a particular person, and it wasn't from his childhood.
>>
>>64520392
>>64520622
Continued.

Side 3: Dusk
Bullet with Butterfly Wings: getting sick with cruel, fake world, in which you can't really do anything—"can you fake it just for one more show".

Thru the Eyes Of Ruby—realizing that young love is not "forever"—it's just the thing we believe, or in other words, "we're in love with the idea of love". It's also about youth—how it is "wasted on the young", how you don't care about it and your innocence until it's gone. It also signifies the approaching of midnight.

Muzzle—an epic, but tragic song: everything will have to go, "great loves will one day have to part", but he knows he was "meant for this world"—everything ends sometime, but life goes on, and the love helps us go forward.

Galapagos—the song signifies the setting of sun. It's romantic exchange with his loved one about life. Despite she gives him confidence and supports him, he admits he's changing and needs someone beside him.

Tales of Scorched Earth—now this is very different. It's him having another drama at home, hating his parents (Corgan had a tough childhood). "Scorched Earth" is the metaphor for the "war" he's been dragged into every day.

Side 4—"Twilight"

1979—empty streets, Billy is going somewhere (to the club, I assume), feeling that he doesn't know and doesn't care where he's going, but it's alright because he's young.

Beautiful—Billy's meeting his GF and he's in love with her.

Cupid de Locke—completely pierced by Cupid's Arrow.

By Starlight—again Corgan being happy.

We Only Come Out at Night—small anthem for teens who like to party after midnight.

Side 5—"Midnight"

Where Boys Fear to Thread—things are getting dirtier, sexier, darker.

Zero—moral decay, wild lust.

An Ode to No One—everyone's a fake fag ad Billy hates them for being the dirty immoral assholes

Love—how forced Corgan's "love" really is, how they "make it up" to each other
>>
>>64515048
>then actual concept album?
>>
>>64515048
Holy SHIT OP! I make alternate track listing play lists for most albums I listen to that throw all their singles to the front and mine is almost exactly the same. I've never heard of this before but switch Bodies and XYU and you have the listing I made.
>>
>>64520392
>>64520622
>>64520879
Continued

X.Y.U.—shit hits the fan. Corgan's GF had some skeletons in her closet. She had a miscarriage and became infertile. Corgan wants to both kill and fuck his GF badly, going wild in his anger.

Side 6—"Starlight"
Stumbleine—the party's over. Eeryone's burned out and getting quiet. Someone's fucking in another room, but Corgan is alone. He decides to comfort his GF.

Lily—It's late and Corgan takes the GF home, watching her in her window room.

Tonite reprise—repeating the "believe in me" line, Corgan also says that deep inside, although sometimes things seem to be in vain, and he can be very angry, he still feels connected to his city, his GF and the people around him. Despite all hardships, he carries on and forgives people.

Goodnight—self-descriptive closer—Corgan caring deeply for his GF.
>>
>>64520958
Noice
>>
>>64520895
I mean "than"
>>
>>64520673
>>64520599
I don't pretend it's objective.

> "However, Billy Corgan has also said that the album is based on "the human condition of mortal sorrow".[19] Corgan aimed the album's message at people aged 14 to 24 years, hoping "to sum up all the things I felt as a youth but was never able to voice articulately."[4] He summed up by stating, "I'm waving goodbye to me in the rear view mirror, tying a knot around my youth and putting it under the bed."[4]

So I assume it's loosely based on his own life, more on his own experiences.
>>
where can i get Tonight Reprise and Infinite Sadness? Only have 28 tracks atm
>>
>>64521147
I just went here senpai and added those two to my existing files.

https://mega.nz/#F!EcknWLTZ!EX5-lZsKqLc2bZ0oJrgEMg
>>
>>64521147
reprise was on the tonight sing;e (which was 2 cd) and infinite sadness was on the aeroplane flies high deluxe edition
>>
corgan also fucked up the pisces iscariot reissue, the track `plume` has a totally different vocal take
>>
and the award for most samefagged thread goes to
>>
Tacking on that infinite sadness jam at the end spoils it. It doesnt even sound complete.
>>
>>64515048
lol correct track list is like a 2 song ep
>>
>>64520973
lol
>>
regardless of this being a heavily, heavily samefagged thread, I'm glad this has been brought to light again. this is only the second time i've actually listened to mellon, and I'm enjoying it more consistently now.
>>
>>64518339
Hey, guy who uploaded the mega, yeah it's a PBTHAL rip!
>>
>>64521324
True but at least there's been some thoughtful discussion rather than just the same old same old shit posting. It would be nice to have this more often.
>>
Anyone else think there's something magical about the mellon collie artwork?
Like it reminds me of dreams, of those illustrations you get in old childrens stories. Also kinda of wallpaper/curtain patterns. It just conjures the whole "childhood" thing for me
>>
>>64522165
Definitely. It looks the way the album feels to me, like gazing up at the stars on a summer night.
>>
I used to love this album but this does sound so much better to listen to

It feels less of 'I'm waiting for my favourites to pop up in a few songs time' and more like an actual cohesive structure

And this really wasn't intended to be a concept album? I find that very odd because just changing the order makes it very clear how songs share similarities in composition, tone and instruments used
Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.