[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a question regarding classical picking for guitar. When
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: classical guitar.png (355 KB, 540x326) Image search: [Google]
classical guitar.png
355 KB, 540x326
I have a question regarding classical picking for guitar. When playing multiple notes on a single string, what is the protocol in picking? Do I use more than one finger like how some people play the bass guitar? I can't seem to find a video explaining this, would somebody mind explaining what to do?
>>
classical guitar is fucking gross cut your nails
>>
Yeah you shouldn't just pluck the same string with one finger all the time, alternate between them e.g index, middle, ring, index and so on,. It'll come pretty naturally with practice.
>>
>>64408979
https://kat.cr/pumping-nylon-scott-tennant-dvdrip-rmvb-format-t3533210.html

Watch this.

Also, Carcassi Etude no. 2 in A minor resolves this issue too! Unless it's tremolo picking, you alternate between index and middle finger picking, just like up and down with a pick. The lower steel/bronze strings are almost exclusively the thumb, even in scales at times. That is, unless you're paco de lucia. But like art, technique is also a tool that can be used or not used depending on the mindfully orchestrated situation.

>guitar teacher
>Pumping Nylon is GREAT
>>
File: Finger-names-left.png (104 KB, 648x535) Image search: [Google]
Finger-names-left.png
104 KB, 648x535
>>64408979
The way that you pluck these strings is also very important. You use the entire finger, pressing downward and resting on the lower string when you want to play very "forte". Sorta like Bootsy or Primus, with the alteration of index and middle.

For arpeggiated stuff, you can do the whole p i m a (If it's some sort of 6, 7, or 9 chord) and then follow the melodic sequences with I and M alterations.
>>
>>64409167
I use my thumb for the two lowest strings and my first, second, third and fourth for the other strings. I notice this is different to standard technique for picking but I think it is okay. I can't understand why the fourth finger should be unused. Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>64408979

BUT if you want to play gently and quietly, you let your finger of course, just pluck the thing gently and quietly.
>>
>>64409250
No problem!

I believe the pinky thing is about tonal issues. Flamenco and Jazz don't give two cents about using your pinky to help develop and move the sophisticated chord progressions involved.
>>
>>64409244
Thanks for the advice. I have been getting complaints in the wrist of my fretting hand and am thinking of buying a stool, my chair that I use has armrests that get in the way. I wouldn't want to develop any long term complaints.
>>
>>64409266
I did grow my fingernails but they are weak. I use my hands for other things so I just go for fingertip tone. You have to work a little harder I think but I can't have long nails so I suppose I have to.
>>
>>64409282
I have carpal tunnel in both my hands (It's going to happen to you, especially if you vidya) Getting a stool and something to prop your leg up is essential, along with taking a break to do stretches every 30 minutes, always.
>>
Some tips for strumming without a pick?
>>
>>64409151
I think Victor Wooten mentioned a technique for the bass where you use each finger in sequence then finally the thumb and it is supposed to be a nice, natural motion. I will try and find the video. Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-N54p2YlQg
>>
>>64409347
I have some ideas about that. You can use a flapping motion that attacks using the back of the nails for a downstroke, and then the upstroke you use the back of the thumbnail.

Another technique I used for the longest time (due to inability with a pick) was to use the edge of the heel of the thumb, you can really control the pressure and attack to get a tone that you cannot with a pick. However, if like me you just do this to avoid using a pick when playing music that is supposed to have a pick, you should probably just learn to use a pick. Personally I think you can only go so far with it.
>>
File: fingersnails-front.jpg (247 KB, 650x434) Image search: [Google]
fingersnails-front.jpg
247 KB, 650x434
>>64409308
False nails are fine and acceptable means

But you could always do a calcium supplement as well!

Nails shouldn't be grotesque monster claws anyways, you want to balance the strike of the nail and the flesh tone nuances that come with it as well. That's what "scholarly" classical guitarists drool over.
>>
>>64409435
warning in regard to last post, make damn sure you cut your thumb nail corner short otherwise it can catch
>>
>>64409457
I know, I have find that the fingertip will approach the string first as if gripping it and then deliberately releasing it to produce a certain volume or attack. I can't afford to have long nails to be honest, I will just stick with stubby fingertips for now at least.
>>
>>64409435
On that second technique about using the edge of the thumb heel, it's kind of like brushing the strings, the thumb is so broad and round that it doesn't naturally catch them like a plectrum, but you can go a little harder during a sweep to catch one or more strings and pull a more aggressive sound out of them, but make sure you cut your thumb nail. I seem to remember a guy who played electric guitar using only fingerstyle, like the guy could shred blues in fingerstyle. I will try to find it. Can't find it.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.