[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your thoughts on lossless 24 bit vinyl rips?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: vinyl-on-your-computer.jpg (163 KB, 500x313) Image search: [Google]
vinyl-on-your-computer.jpg
163 KB, 500x313
What are your thoughts on lossless 24 bit vinyl rips?
>>
only autists would do that unless the vinyl has a different / better master or something
>>
They are also the largest lossless audio files for some reason
>>
>>64372531
I've discovered during the last two years, since I can take CD-Rs home from the mastering plant, that there's an astonishing variation in quality between different CD plants. If you think digital is perfect, I have news for you. Many of us have been fooled by this myth that it's just 0s and 1s and therefore copies perfectly. It doesn't. The variations in quality are pretty wild, and random. Just the way you hook up a cable can make a difference. And there's no quality control in these CD plants, other than someone checking whether there's any level being transferred.
>>
>>64372488
Who the fuck is ub40
>>
>>64372531
>unless the vinyl has a different / better master or something
that's the point.
>>
>>64373054
surely not even noticeable to the human ear?
>>
>>64373091
>gen y
>>
>>64372488
I don't actively seek them out but if there's a choice then I'll download it. No reason not to.
>>
File: 1401200013935.jpg (114 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1401200013935.jpg
114 KB, 640x640
>ripping in a bit depth that allows a dynamic range of 120- 144db from a format that has about 60-85db
wew lad
>>
>>64373504
why is 24 bit a thing?
>>
just buy the record
>>
>>64373259
lucky ignorant gen y
>>
>>64373740
Because some of us can actually appreciate a greater dynamic range since we're not using outdated devices in order to look cool.
>>
>>64373223
Most of us take it for granted that a CD is a CD, and we almost never discuss about varying standards of manufacture. I can't say too much about current US manufacturer's because I have few US made CDs.
I have still detected a general shrillness to many US CDs ("let's tweek the high end to make them sound sharp to delude the general public that our CDs sound better than vinyl and tape").
Tweeking the high end also accentuated the hiss.
After so many disappointments and revelations having heard import versions after getting US discs I have concentrated on acquiring import
pressings.

As for maunfacturers themselves: on the import side I like the clarity of Nimbus UK but they can be hissier and lighter on low end than MPO France
which produces well rounded sounding CDs. PDO have been fine except for the recent PDO UK disc rot problem. Sonopress in Germany are adequate. I used to shy away from DADC in Austria (Sony Europe uses them) but have realised that was a personal bias. Nimbus USA (Virginia) vary. Their reissues of the OMD catalogue were shoddy. DADC in Indiana (Sony/Columbia) are so so.

Different pressing runs of albums are often done by different manufacturers but you can't tell who made a new disc until you open it. You can tell with used discs though as they are already open. I've seen Beatles CDs from Capitol's plant, DADC Indiana and Nimbus Virginia. So if you are going to be particular about who makes the disc that is your best shot. Some discs are made by one manufcturer only and you have to buy it if you want the album or look for imports.
>>
>>64374138
share it with the rest of us then you greedy fucks.
every torrent i've come across has been 24 bit
>>
>>64374384
itunes or us cds?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.