[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Post a band/album/artist/etc. you don't get the love
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7
File: sonic youth.jpg (62 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
sonic youth.jpg
62 KB, 600x399
ITT: Post a band/album/artist/etc. you don't get the love for, fans explain what they like about them

I really do not understand the hype around Sonic Youth. They sound like middle of the road noise rock at best to me.
>>
Pearl Jam
>>
I'll say K-Pop in general. Most of what I've heard my sister play around the house is just generic Western pop songs about love with uninspired beats, just in a different language.
>>
>>64323140
>middle of the road noise rock
Well they were extremely influential so it's easy to see how you'd think that.

I got into them when I started seeing them as a indie rock band with noise influences. The alternate tunnings, odd songwriting and jams are a big part of why they're so great. Plus they pionnered that slacker aesthetic a shit ton of bands ripped off in the 90's.

>>64323161
Catchy hard rock with soulful vocals and great guitar work. That's pretty much it.

>>64323370
That's because that is what K-Pop is. A good part of the appeal comes from the dancing and idol-worship, not from the music itself.
>>
>>64323370

K-pop is the type of super-cute and innocent pop music that doesn't exist in the US anymore because American pop has to be more brash, sexy and edgy. People dig that in a retro sort of way.
>>
>>64323140
Their kinda dissonant sound just does things for me, I can't really explain it.

>>64323161
Really good lyrics and instrumental work despite Vedder's somewhat unappealing voice.
>>
flaming lips are overrated as hell, always thought Slowdive was incredibly boring, and (no hate pls) I don't really like Remain in Light, desu (I like Fear of Music though).
Guided by Voices is really eh to me, and I could never get into Interpols second album, antics. It's just very uninteresting and boring (Evil is great though. Super fun live song)

>>64323140
sonic youth is the best. I own like all of their stuff. I could see your complain with "middle of the road noise rock", but listen to their SYR series EPs and that's very, very far from middle of the road (specifically SYR 3, 4, and 8). Late game SY (murray street is the best) is pretty underrated stuff too, and NYC Ghosts and flowers is pretty out there as well.
>>
File: pavement.jpg (76 KB, 625x417) Image search: [Google]
pavement.jpg
76 KB, 625x417
>>
>>64325173
>Antics is boring
Nigga it's literally TOTBL but less moody and more rockier how the fuck is it boring
>uninteresting
The guitar work and basslines are interesting as hell wth

>Slowdive is boring
I can see why you think that. Their guitar tones were very unique, the incorporation of electronic wankery was also unique and Pygmalion was a huge change in sound and a minimal masterpiece.

>>64325530
The archetype of 90's slacker rock. Just good songwriting through a lo-fi sound and aesthetic.
>>
The Beatles
>>
>>64326564

Understandable.

Personally, I love The Beatles, but I can see why people think they're over-rated. I like their experimentation in the late 60's, but there better psychedelic bands. I guess its the diversity you get with The Beatles that makes me always come back to them.
>>
I love Sonic Youth but hate them all at the same time.

Grimes is someone I cannot get into.
I personally find her yucky and annoying.
>>
>>64323140
man try thurston's best day
if you dont like it, i think suicide is the correct option
>>
>>64326993
thats because shes a talented person who in fact makes mediocre at best music.
>>
>>64323140
They're not my favorite but they're pretty good IMO

I really don't like a lot of their stuff though
>>64323161
I haven't listened to them since middle school but Eddie Vedder's pretty cool
>>
>>64327081

Fair assessment.
>>
>>64326564
catchy as hell. don't care about the "influential", sales or anything. i love the beatles because they're very catchy to me.
>>
how do people listen to harsh noise wall without getting bored extremely quickly?
>>
>>64327428
Because we have patience and enjoy the sounds. It's not always static anyway.
>>
>>64323140
their new stuff is, I'd say. they're cashing in on what they were. some albums like daydream nation and bad moon rising have awesome riffs though
>>
>>64323689
> Plus they pionnered that slacker aesthetic a shit ton of bands ripped off in the 90's.

What makes you think that? The Replacements had been there before, for example
>>
>>64325173
>I could never get into Interpols second album, antics
It's not like many people did
>>
>>64327428
go watch some michel snow
come back when you are transformed
>>
>>64323140
I made a similar thread some time ago. The most sane answer I got was this: Sonic Youth came up with a highly innovative sound which many bands went on to copy. They made the bridge from '80s post-punk to '90s shoegaze and alternative, along with Jesus and Mary Chain, Dinosaur Jr., Pixies and so on. E.g., Kevin Shields said their work was what inspired the sound of MBV.

Also, they inspired many people with their attitude/ethics (see Steve Albini for example). Don't forget they were the guys who found Nirvana, also—they did stuff aside from making music.

That's pretty much it. They were never truly accessible until the 2000s, and IMO other bands which took what they did often did it better in the '90s. But without Sonic Youth, we might have never had the wild eruptions of effects, swirling noise breaks and other things, which personally love more than anything.
>>
>>64327054
It's a good album, but pre-2000s SY and this album are different entities.
>>
>>64323140

SY is a live band. If you never got to see them live you missed out.
>>
File: Capture.png (1 MB, 1458x966) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
1 MB, 1458x966
why do normies like these cucks? theyre so bad and their songs all sound literally the same

it seriously boggles my mind that anyone likes tool
>>
>>64328753
weed
>>
>>64328825
at least 3 people i know who absolutely love tool are straightedge
thats pretty valid though
>>
File: packshot.jpg (77 KB, 635x634) Image search: [Google]
packshot.jpg
77 KB, 635x634
Vampire Weekend is pretentious hipster trash.
Prove me wrong.
>protip: you can't.
>>
>>64323140
Theyre mostly an alt rock band with some noise edge. And they have goat openers. Listen to Schizophrenia; the incredible but simple drum fill that instantly sets the mood, perfect guitar tone, the subtle twists in vocal delivery (the way moore says "she's just a bitch with a golden chain", "the trouble I'm in"), how the song effortlessly goes through three movements. this song is a perfect representation of the band.
if you listened to goo or later stuff id say you don't have a good idea of the band. listen to sister, evol (100% classic opening trio: Tom violence, shadow of a doubt, star power, plus expressway to yr skull later on), and daydream nation. Bad moon rising if you like the real noisier stuff.
>>
>>64328753
No that's ol.
>>
>>64328753
They themselves are tools.
>>
>>64328859
Not liking what straightedge people like is kinda healthy, to be honest.

Let me try to classify Tool fans I've seen:

—People who unironically listen to grunge like Pearl Jam, Nirvana and so on. Often identify as stoners

—Edgy teens who listen to Tool because it's about weed and edgy, might also listen to some nu-metal

—Wrong generation people who like cult bands because they're cult

—people who like music about weed because it's about weed. See Snoop Dogg

AFAIK they don't intersect with the crowd that listens to stone rock, sludge and other genres which actually try to make music which has at least some musical merits.

So in essence Tool is cult without substance.
>>
File: blur-624-1366318758.jpg (204 KB, 624x420) Image search: [Google]
blur-624-1366318758.jpg
204 KB, 624x420
anything this dude does
>>
>>64329178
>So in essence Tool is cult without substance.
thats what i mean though like.. they listen to this kinda stuff in solitude, doesn't that mean they have some *honest* interest in it or is it really just to feel connected with some idea or group associated with it? that's so confusing and weird to me.
why not try to listen to some deeper stuff from that kind of genre like stoner/sludge stuff and not just that one band?
>>
Anyone who likes Weezer after Green album
>>
>>64328929
Snoozefest: the band
>>
>>64329283
Because it's not the music they're after. They're more into "cult" aspect, fitting in into certain group.

All of these people I mention might not even smoke marijuana or like it. They're in it because they think it make them better than "other" people. They're completely obnoxious and not into substance, they just want to put on airs.

Remember, there are people who unironically listen to Snoop Dogg today.
>>
>>64329278
Rude
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.