[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT dumb shit from way back when >panning drums 100% to one ear
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
ITT dumb shit from way back when

>panning drums 100% to one ear
>>
>>64131901
>to one ear
stereo wasn't thought of like that at the time. it was more thought of as two channels to mix into, so you could organize the mix into different groups of instruments or just have two different locations for stuff. it wasn't exactly dedicated to making a continuous stereosonic soundstage between "left" and "right". that's how it ended-up as its natural conclusion, but early on it was more of a playground, having two separate channels, or "dual mono" to make things more interesting.

it works great in a room where you just have the speakers randomly or haphazardly placed, like for a party or hangout, but terrible in headphones or other strictly stereo settings
>>
>>64132052
thanks for the input I did not know that
>>
>>64131901
>not using a panned phaser to oscillate drums from right to left throughout record
>>
>>64132085
people did (and to some extent are still doing) the same retarded shit with surround sound. nobody wants to hear random shit thrown around in random places. it's like a nightmare after a few minutes. people want a soundfield they can be immersed in that feels natural and lively. not a bizarre artifical assault. yes, it's fun to have the drums thrown way off to one side or random shit in different places, but at the end of the day it's not what people want. stereo had to go through this evolution and surround has had to as well

i think mono should make a comeback for a number of good reasons
>>
>>64132230
most digital players can mix stereo files to mono, i got a friend who's deaf in one ear and i think he does this
>>
File: 1428958152261.png (140 KB, 348x330) Image search: [Google]
1428958152261.png
140 KB, 348x330
>>64131901
>listening to an album for samples
>everything is panned
>>
>>64132323
that's pretty cool actually. mixes are done differently from the beginning though if they're intended to be mono at the outset, but it's quite handy to listen to stuff in mono just to hear how it all melds and translates. it's not as simple as just panning L and R together either, you'll end-up with all the "center" elements being way too loud that way. you gotta combine L and R while attenuating the mid channel by 3dB. also some configurations rotate the phase 90ยบ of one channel which prevents a whole host of problems with phase cancellation and such.

i love the whole theory and practice of using and creating space with audio
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.