[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
learning to play guitar
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: guitar.png (811 KB, 799x1308) Image search: [Google]
guitar.png
811 KB, 799x1308
I have this guitar laying around that I've been wanting to learn to play for awhile. Currently my musical knowledge starts and ends with the doo whop progression. (in the aeroplane over the sea)

Where the fuck do I start? Any good free websites for learning guitar? Can I do fine just with online stuff or should I go to classes?
>>
I'm a year and a half in, and I've made pretty good progress.

Step 1: find out what works for you, look on YouTube for basic chord tutorials, very basic theory and do the same but in a text format.

Step 2: Learn basic open chord shapes, and continue practicing switching between them, if you practice for a good hour a day, in just a couple of weeks they'll feel like old pals.

Step 3: start putting these chords (as early as possible) together to play (and this is important) songs you really like, it is much more rewarding when you're playing something you recognise as it feels like real, visible progress,

Step 4: keep doing it, and keep doing it, you might feel lost, but you'll learn more than you realise as you play, learn more open chords, begin to contemplate barre chords.

Step 5: KEEP GOING, at this point you'll be driving yourself, you don't need this step anymore
>>
It's worth getting some money together for an actual tutor for the first few weeks. Progress will be a lot faster and he can tell you the essentials that you can then practice on your own.

What helped me learn chords was just playing along with songs; most pop and rock songs just have 4 or 5 simple chords to learn, and you'll eventually be able to instinctively play them all.
>>
I've tried to learn guitar for 11 years and I've come to the conclusion that you need to stop over thinking it. Just pick it up and play. The problem some kids have is they think all the books and all the lessons will make them a pro but they don't play enough.
>>
justinguitar.com
Everithyng you will need to get started is on this site it's pretty legit. All you need to do now is to push yourself.
>>
>>64078901
This is correct.

Been playing for 10+ years. Best thing you can do is just play guitar. Don't even worry about learning songs.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.