[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson, Blackfield discussion thread in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 400x347) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 400x347
Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson, Blackfield discussion thread in here.

Best songs? Personal favorite album? What does mew think of this/these musician(s)?
>>
>>64034363
Porcupine Tree is my favorite band.

Best songs:
Arriving somewhere but not here
Lips of ashes
Russia on ice
Don't hate me
The sky moves sideways
Sleep of no dreaming
The Watchmaker (SW track)

Best album:
In Absentia
>>
>>64034485
As poppy as it is, 'Trains' is my go to for down days.

As far as albums, Blackfield I is my favorite. I saw Steven and Aviv in seattle like 4 years ago, really intimate chill crowd. I probably ruined it because I was underageb&... Great time though.
>>
PT was my favourite band for years. I mean, they still are probably, it's just I don't listen to them so much because no new material.

Fav songs: TSMS 1, Arriving Somewhere, Anesthetize, Russia on Ice, Hatesong, Even Less, Buying New Soul, Drown with Me, Chloroform, Trains, Stop Swimming, Lightbulb Sun, What Happens Now, Don't Hate Me...

I like SW's solo stuff but not quite in the obsessive way I loved PT back in the day. Probably the most important band getting me into music, I can trace my taste for pop rock, prog, ambient and psychedlia all back to this band.

Stupid Dream is probably my favourite PT album. I like Blackfield's debut and Bass Communion II a lot. Storm Corrosion was aight. Insurgentes is my fav SW solo, Raven is really good too. I've seen him live the last couple of tours, I'm really sad I never got to see PT live tho.
>>
>>64034485
>>64034651
What did you guys think about 'The Incident'? I was stupidly underwhelmed. Just didn't feel like them. I don't know.
>>
>>64034363
You forgot Storm Corrosion

I think Steve Wilson is a pretty good artist as cocky as he may seem. I disagree with his opinions (he said vidyas were a waste of time and is a vegan) but his live shows are as good as they can get.

My favorite song is Anesthetize for PT and Luminol for SW, haven't really listened to Blackfield beside one song (Jupiter, I think)
>>
>>64034745
It feels kinda phoned in. I think you can tell he was already losing interest and didn't know where to take their sound by that point. Time Flies is a really nice song though and I like Remember Me Lover too... probably a few others. But yeah, easily their worst album (well, besides OTSOL)
>>
>>64034363
I'm really just now getting into metal. I found out about Porcupine Tree and Opeth through Storm Corrosion and I really like all three. I've heard In Absentia from PT and Damnation from Opeth but nothing else quite like it. Where do I go from here?
>>
File: how2stevenwilson.jpg (410 KB, 1600x1066) Image search: [Google]
how2stevenwilson.jpg
410 KB, 1600x1066
>>64034955
>>
>>64035020
thanks anon
>>
>>64034955
PT, check out Deadwing and FOABP. They pretty much develop the sound of In Absentia

No other Opeth album sounds like Damnation unfortunately, although they are worth getting into. I think Ghost Reveries is the most accessible of Opeth's metal albums, then work backwards from there.

Wilson and Akerfeldt were heavily influenced by Comus when making Storm Corrosion, check out First Utterance.
>>
>>64034886
My impression of SW is that he's a nihilist wannabe. He cares about not caring about things. Not a bad person but just a bit of a cock.

>>64034908
That's what I was thinking. There was potential there to really push for a new sound, maybe go a little nuts and make it an edgy reboot, but it just didn't do anything.

>>64034955
Porcupine tree and blackfield are pretty far from metal, but in terms of exploring metal there are a few trillion bands to go in to.

I really like ERRA, they're a djent/metalcore band and could be considered memey but I just can't get over the lead singer's range. Blows me away.
>>
>>64034908
Why is OTSOL considered so bad? It's the only PT album I haven't listened to yet, so I'm a bit curious.
>>
>>64035042
>>64035068
appreciate it dudes, i'll check em out
>>
>>64035072
It's not awful, but it's not really a proper album, more of a compilation of early stuff from before PT was a serious project. So it's a mixed bag. It's his most eclectic release though, and it's certainly interesting to see how he started out. Plus, Radioactive Toy is of course fantastic.
>>
>>64035042
>>64034955

The closest to Damnation there is would be Pale Communion (vocal-wise) and I think Blackwater Park should be the first album for a first time listener since Ghost Reveries is a big turn-off for people who are barely starting to get into metal (It literally starts with a brutal growling track). BWP is a bit more ''rain-friendly'' and is basically Damnation with growls and heavy distortion. I would avoid Watershed, My Arms, Your Hearse and Orchid for this guy until he gets a grasp of the Opeth sound. Morningrise is completely different to anything Opeth has made and Deliverance is just plain brutal. And if you are a prog-rock listener then I'd recommend Heritage despite all the hate that it gets.
>>
File: image.jpg (132 KB, 745x747) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
132 KB, 745x747
Listening to Bass Communion I right now; anyone big into that area of Steven's work?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.