[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mastodon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
What's /mu/'s opinion on Mastodon? I just realized what a dope ass song Blood and Thunder is and now I want to listen to all their stuff. Where should I start? Best album?
>>
Good band, I even like the last 2 sellout albums
>>
>>63965319
The hunter and Once more ´round the sun? In what way did they sell out?
>>
>>63965319

this. mastodon are one of the greatest bands to grace this earth.

in my opinion, and most other peoples, crack the skye is their greatest.

for raw mastodon sound check out blood mountain or remission, or leviathan if you havnt (levi is best of those 3 IMO)

if you want the more poppy cleaned up mastodon then definitely check the hunter, that shit rips

for the physcadelic trippy proggier stuff 100% crack the skye and then once more round the sun.

lifesblood EP and call of the mastodon are pretty rad too but i consider it their weakest points in their discography
>>
Love Leviathan, it got me into them. Although I think I prefer Crack the Skye now. Those are generally regarded as their best anyway AFAIK. They're quite different tho, CtS is less heavy but more proggy. Then check out Remission, it's pretty awesome too, altho by far their least accessible. Just really heavy sludge.

They've gone way downhill on their last 2 but they still put out some okay songs here and there.
>>
>>63965264
Crack The Skye and everything that came after it is absolute shit.

They traded their sense of dynamism for plodding, aimless prog and radio friendly hooks.
>>
the best thing about mastodon albums is that scott kelly will always show up at some point

wish they'd do a full album together
>>
File: 1453084963531.png (137 KB, 453x668) Image search: [Google]
1453084963531.png
137 KB, 453x668
>>63965421
>>63965449
Thanks for the helpfull guides. But every album seems to be great so I'll just go chronologically I think.

>His sister, Skye, committed suicide at age 14.
>Her death served as an inspiration for Mastodon's fourth studio album, Crack the Skye.
>Dailor told Metal Hammer that many of the songs are fantasy narratives involving him saving his sister from death
>>
>>63965548
>Crack The Skye is absolute shit.

ur mum's absolute shit
>>
>>63965548
This
>>
haven't listened to much of once more round the sun, but the rest is great.

Overall, I think Blood Mountain is probably their best album. Doesn't necessarily have their best songs, but ALL the songs on it are good, where I didn't like some songs on other albums.

I could listen to Blood and Thunder all day.
>>
File: purple.jpg (163 KB, 620x620) Image search: [Google]
purple.jpg
163 KB, 620x620
>tfw baroness started out as a vastly inferior mastodon and is now doing what mastodon is trying to do 10x better

music for this feel?
>>
>>63965724
Baronoss I guess??
>>
>>63965724

>implying you can only be a fan of 1 band per genre

guess i better stop listening to the god tier kylesa as well
>>
>>63966065
I'm not really implying that, I just don't think current mastodon is very good

never checked out kylesa tho, will give em a listen
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.