[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Brian Wilson vs Sir Paul McCartney
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2
File: Brian Wilson & Sir Paul.png (1 MB, 1754x624) Image search: [Google]
Brian Wilson & Sir Paul.png
1 MB, 1754x624
Which is the better songwriter?

Which is the better performer?

Which is the most talented overall?
>>
Both are amazing, Pet Sounds and SMiLE are two of the greatest things ever though, so Brian wins.
>>
>songwriter
Paul. Brian is famed for his complex pop song writing, but i think paul has the same mastery of the craft. On top of this, he wrote more different " kinds" of songs. From 'yesterday' to 'hey jude' to 'helter skelter' to 'the Abbey Road medley', Paul has skill in multiple genres and tones. and Paul is no great lyricist, but his lyrics are better.
>performer
Paul. Paul has toured hundreds of dates through his career and continues to with energy or sharpness
>over-all
Paul. (Forgive me /mu/) he has a larger sonic diversity and more iconic breadth of work to begin with. Objectively, His songs are simpler than brian's, but they are as effective
>>
Brian Wilson is much more talented.
Had he not suffered his mental issues I think Brian's solo work would have blown out Paul's.
>>
Beatles are boring elevator music

SMiLE Surf's Up Sunflower And parts of pet sounds are the closest pop has gotten to baroque chamber classical

I don't care if memetles influenced him on rubber soul they sound so sonically and lyrically DULL like a soulless corporate Kinks
>>
Paul was more consistent, but Pet Sounds and SMiLE, along with songs like Break Away and 'til I Die - there's no touching that.
>>
>Songwriter
Brian
>Performer
Paul
>Over-all
Shit this one is hard, i like Brian more but i have a huge respect for Paul.
>>
>>63940635
Paul McCartney was better than the other Beatles, Beach Boys, The Who, The Rolling Stones, the Kinks, and the Doors combined.
>>
>>63941278
>browses /mu/ once
>>
Brian's music hits me on a deep emotional level that Paul is incapable of reaching with me.

So there is no contest.
>>
They aren't comparable, because Paul McCartney died in a car accident in 1967. After that incident, all of "his" songs were ghost-written by the Kennedy administration. Also, the earth is flat. Do some fucking research you ignorant piece of shit.
>>
first, both are absolutely amazing

>better songwriter
paul has a more consistent catalog of work, and he's made more great songs than brian, but i think brian at his peak (today/pet sounds/smile) is better

>better performer
paul, no question

>most talented overall
"talent" is a weird term, i'm not really sure. prefer brian but totally understand people who would pick paul

>>63941432
aand now as i post i realize i just reiterated this
>>
>>63941445
But the doors is just Jim Morrison

I should know, I've met Robbie and he's literally just some guy
>>
paul
>>
Paul + George Martin = Brian Wilson

so, you do the math.
>>
>beatles are boring elevator music
>smile surfs up sunflower and pet sounds are close to baroque chamber classical
Implying the Beatles are the boring of the two, when their catalog reaches far louder, harsher, faster, experimental, and psychedelic territory than the beach boys. There are plenty of arguments to make against the Beatles, but they aren't more boring than the beach boys.
>>
>>63940635
>Which is the better songwriter?
McCartney. They're both brilliant but McCartney just outdoes Wilson in versatility and longevity at their peaks. He wrote more masterpieces and was more versatile as a songwriter.

>Which is the better performer?
This is the one that really isn't even a contest. Paul was born to be on stage. For reasons abound, Brian Wilson has always seemed sheepish and subdued onstage. That may not have been that way when they were young, but Paul McCartney is as sharp as ever and still puts on stellar shows in his 70s. I've also seen Paul McCartney and the Beach Boys live multiple times and Paul is just a showman through and through. Brian could never compete with him there.

>Which is the most talented overall?
It has to be Paul McCartney. His main band was better, his solo career is better, and he's just sharper. He matched Wilson in many ways but also bettered him in some.

Solo careers aside, when comparing the Beatles and the Beach Boys, I don't see how it's that competitive. It's worth mentioning that Paul McCartney was surrounded by other musical geniuses who were constantly pushing each other forward whereas Brian Wilson was practically dragging a band of people who didn't share a similar vision kicking and screaming behind his back, but the Beatles were just pushing a pace that the Beach Boys couldn't keep up with. Couple that with Brian Wilson's unfortunate issues and he just wasn't going to win that race. What he could have or should have done if this or that is fun to speculate about, but facts are facts, he didn't.
>>
i love when ppl try to comment on the beach boys and clearly haven't listened to anything other than pet sounds or learned about the band outside of brian wilson

good job guys
>>
File: 1457839944886.jpg (8 KB, 250x194) Image search: [Google]
1457839944886.jpg
8 KB, 250x194
>63942298

are u fucking kidding lmao listen to yourself
"whos the most talented?
paul mccartney."
listen to surfs up then listen to honey pie. listen to wouldnt it be nice then listen to back in the ussr. listen to heroes and villains then listen to blackbird. literally lmfao how can u say this when brian made fucking pet sounds and smile
2 records already beats anything paul has ever fucking done to this day
>>
>Paul
>Paul
>Paul
out of fucking question
>>
Brian Wilson mops the floor with Paul. Let's be fucking honest here, RAM, Band on the Run, Mccartney II have good songs here and there but they are mediocre.

Compare that to Pet Sounds and SMiLE.
>>
^^^^
>>
>>63942457
is this a joke?
>>
>>63942582
can't handle the truth?
>>
>>63942457
>Let's be fucking honest here
Then we'd be comparing those Paul albums to Brian Wilson's solo albums.
>>
>>63942595
Pet Sounds and Smile are Brian's solo albums and I'm obviously comparing their best material.
>>
>>63942621
You're pretty funny.
>>
>>63942582
no i prefer brian, but why not compare pauls best songs with the beatles and brians best songs with the beach boys
>>
>>63942681
Thanks bb 8^)

>>63942696
Heroes and Villains is superior to anything Paul has ever done.
>>
>>63942755
ok, doesn't really relate to my post but nice statement
>>
avey tare
>>
>>63942696
>but why not compare pauls best songs with the beatles and brians best songs with the beach boys
because Paul has about a thousand more
>>
>>63942995
so? that's the point of the comparison. pick pauls absolute best and compare it to brians absolute best. i still think brian comes out on top but at least make it fair. comparing fucking ram and mccartney ii to pet sounds and smile is retarded
>>
>>63943066
>comparing fucking ram and mccartney ii to pet sounds and smile is retarded
Yeah that's kind of what I've been saying.
>>
>people in this thread forgetting that bwilson didn't even write the lyrics to pet sounds
>>
>>63943255
It's just convenient to think Brain Wilson made Pet Sounds all by himself.
>>
>>63943255
>lyrics
kek. this is a music board. nobody gets on mozart's ass for not writing the lyrics to his requiem
>>
>>63943419
plus the beatles lyrics sucked
>>
>>63943440
nah.

nah nah nah nah nah naaaaaaaaaaaah.

HEY JOOD
>>
>>63943487
SHE WAS ONLY 17
>>
>>63943440
I WANNA GO HOME
>>
why compare plebs
>>
>>63942445
>2 records already beats anything paul has ever fucking done to this day
not even close
>>
Macca for sure
>>
Paul has a greater volume of god-tier material

But Brian's best beats Paul's best, imo
>>
They both have a handful of stinkers but I think theyre both great. Paul's solo shit sounds better than Brians but The Beach boys were better than the beatles to me.
>>
Did Wilson write Temporary Secretary? McCartney wins.
>>
>>63941278
Eleanor RIgby >>> every Wilson song, lyrically and musically
>>
i look at it like this...

brian wilson is vince carter, paul mccartney is kobe bryant.

translation:

brian wilson's creative peak was higher than paul mccartney's, but his was so so short and quick that in the history books, it looks like a mere glimpse into another world of creativity...van dyke parks essentially peaked around the same time, and the same could be said about vdp but /mu/ doesn't really like him.

paul mccartney on the other hand is mr. consistency, and without a doubt was the better performer. mccartney had some insane peaks as well, but not on wilson's level, but those peaks of mccartney's lasted for long periods of time which allowed him to build a legacy of making some of the greatest albums of all time with and without the beatles.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.