[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OFFICIAL JUNK THREAD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: junk__article-hero-1130x430.jpg (237 KB, 1130x430) Image search: [Google]
junk__article-hero-1130x430.jpg
237 KB, 1130x430
M83 - Junk

This is not an LP. This is a make your own EP.

In 2005, I was lucky enough to hear the Superpitcher mix of Don't Save us From the Flames and fell in love. Before the Dawn Heals Us was amazing as was every M83 album before JUNK. I've been following M83 for over a decade and while some of the Non-proper albums like Digital Shades (and the several movie soundtracks) were not too strong, nothing was like JUNK.

I've seen them three times, two times before midnight city and one time after. I could tell that it was a different M83 when I last saw them. It was the same venue, the DC Black Cat, but the two times I saw him for two different tours supporting Saturdays=Youth, it was such great energy. The beginning of the hurry up, we're dreaming tour...the crowd was different. Not only was it easily sold out, it was right after Midnight City went big and the crowd seemed to only pop huge when that song played.

Since then, I'm sure Anthony is fucking sick of Midnight City and HUWD. Nothing since then has worked out how he wanted it to. The Black Hole soundtrack was "A shitty soundtrack to a shitty movie" and Hollywood raped the Oblivion soundtrack. You and the Night was actually really good, but everyone wanted a "REAL" m83 album. So Anthony said "fuck it, here you go!" though probably in french.

Junk is a terrible album. It has great songs on it but as an album it is awful. It does not flow at all and reminds me of when Aphex Twin released Drukqs and Richard said people should mix the tracks however they like since the order he put them in was mostly random.
>>
>continued

The first track Do It, Try It is a grower not a shower. It's an awesome track that seems goofy as fuck at first but it is really catchy and fun in a good way. GO! and Walkway Blues are also very strong and the first three tracks flow very well.

Everything goes to shit at Bibi the dog. Bibi the dog, Moon Crystal, and For the Kids are ear-gratingly awful. It's like terrible elevator music. It's just terrible. There is no M83 album where I have skipped large portions because I've HATED the tracks. The worst M83 tracks before JUNK were mediocre at worst, even the UP! song from Saturdays (which was the only track I didn't like from that album and it was really not too bad.)

We get back on track with Solitude. This is an amazing song and is right up there as a top M83 track. It's beautiful, vast, and just awesome.

The Wizard is fun. It's mixed very well and reminds me of some of the interludes on BTDHU and HUWD. Laser Gun follows and is also really fun and the only track that I like with the new vocalist. She does really well on this track.

That reminds me - why the hell did Morgan Kibby leave/get the boot? She was amazing on Saturdays=Youth and even though that is Anthony's most hated album, it is one of the best things he has ever been a part of. She was more subdued on HUWD but she just fit so much better with M83 than this new vocalist.

Road blaster is mediocre but not horrible. Tension is another amazing interlude type of song, one of the best on the album.

The rest is just mediocre. Atlantique sud is boring, as is Time Wind (Anthony seems to really be phoning it in by this point). Ludivine is too short to be worth anything and the finale Sunday Night 1987 just fizzles out with a hamonica. The ending of M83 albums is usually one of their best features and it just ends with a whimper.
>>
>continued

As I said in the beginning, I really think that Anthony was pissed people kept bitching about a new "REAL" M83 album and this is the result. It's a terrible album, but I don't think it is meant to be an album. It's a group of 15 songs that are meant to be filtered down into 6-8 tracks to make an M83 EP.

My Junk EP:

1. Do It, Try It
2. Go!
3. Walkway Blues
4. Solitude
5. The Wizard
6. Tension
7. Laser Gun
>>
Still too early to pick out my favs, but I think it's a 6/10 after two listens. And I used to consider myself a huge M83 fan. I think Anthony's just very burnt out right now.

I don't mind the style. Some tracks would fit in well on an old skool Jim Henson tv show. Just not many memorable melodies and one too many dull moments/low points on the album.
>>
>>63893268
If I had to score it I'd probably say 5/10 just because it feels like half an album. There is some really good stuff on here but so much awful shit too.
>>
There is only one track I can honesty listen to more than once on this album and it's Solitude. Everything else on it just got mumbled up together and I'm going to find it really hard to go through it all trying to find things to like about it. First track took a while to enjoy but it might take many more times to even try to enjoy the rest of these songs, if they are at all even enjoyable. I feel like I was trolled.
>>
link?
>>
>>63894053
One of these worked on this site - be careful though cause some of the links are bullshit. You should have ABP installed

http://icanleaking.com/indie/m83-junk-2016-2
>>
Also of note - while pitchfork talked about the album today they have yet to review it...

I'm calling a 5.7 for the REAL Pitchfork Score but I'm sure they will give it a 7.0 because they are sucking Anthony's dick.
>>
>>63894053
http://www7.zippyshare.com/v/OlbbUesI/file.html
>>
This album is super mediocre. I can't even say it's laughably bad because (outside of For The Kids) it's mostly just boring. It's like he was so successful at recreating that cheesy 80's sound that the album ended up sounding indistinguishable from mediocre cheesy 80's elevator music
>>
https://soundcloud.com/hell-hound-2/mooncrystaldelightflight-for

I think gonzalez just wanted moon crystal to be vaporwave so i did it for him
>>
I'm halfway through it and loving every song. I'll report back when I finish.
>>
I bet he stopped doing cocaine or something cause these songs are not good
>>
>>63895810
I'm trying really hard not to like this but it's just too awesome.
>>
The awful art and horrendous filler seem like he was more interested in making a statement than a good album. His explanation for the title proves this.

He was probably mad that Midnight City and, to an extent, Outro became massive and nobody card about anything else. After a double album that must suck. And then this comes out and people are saying "the singles are great but everything else is mediocre or bad". Perhaps he will have similar success with minimal effort.
>>
>>63892512
>shit talking up UP!

dropped
>>
But I mean... did someone hold him at gunpoint and tell him to put out an album before April 2016 was finished? Did he have a contract with someone?

>Hollywood raped the Oblivion soundtrack.
How so? That song with Susanne Sundfor was pretty great, especially the instrumental "outro"
>>
>>63892512
>The worst M83 tracks before JUNK were mediocre at worst,
>even the UP! song

nigga what are you doing that's the one of the best songs.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.