[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, I've never seen a thread quite like this and I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: 1431787458543.jpg (7 KB, 219x130) Image search: [Google]
1431787458543.jpg
7 KB, 219x130
Hey guys, I've never seen a thread quite like this and I was wondering if you all wouldn't mind starting one. I'm curious about the musicians that frequent this board. What instruments do you play? What music do you create?
I'm also interested in getting a discussion started about bands; more specifically, what method do you use to create music as a group? What works about it/ what does not?
Finally, I'm looking for songs to play on acoustic bass for a cover band that I'm starting, I was wondering if I could get some suggestions. I'm ear learning the album Fits of Reason right now.
>>
What
>>
>>63878485
There's no "musicians" on this board.
>>
>>63878485
>What instruments do you play?
Piano, Drums, Guitar, saying 30 different keyboards doesn't really count, just getting this one out of the way when somebody starts listing off a bunch of keyboards or says they play synth.

>What music do you create?
You mean what genre? Idk, I'd probably kill myself if I had to make music according to genres.

>What method do you use to create music as a group? What works about it/ what does not?
Usually somebody comes up with a couple of chord progressions, then the bassist will either mimic the melody or do the usual root-third-fifth type stuff, being on keys, I usually do something percussive with the chords, or play a counter-melody. It works pretty well, you just have to know your shit.
>>
>>63878485
I'm a classically trained musician with ten years of singing in professional church choirs and a university graduate diploma in piano performance. I also play violin to a high level and guitar.
I'm currently in a band that just plays covers of any old thing (we've done Weezer, a-ha, Ben Howard... literally anything!) but my dream is to form a band like mid-era AnCo except with even more of an emphasis on both irregular rhythm, vocal harmony and other stuff which really appeals to me.
For the moment, I have released a home-fashioned solo EP on Bandcamp which I'm pretty pleased with. It's folk/math rock/ambient/glitch/whatever. You can find it on Bandcamp threads occasionally if you're interested.
>>
>>63878485
>I was wondering if you all wouldn't mind starting one.

Of course we mind, go home
>>
>>63878485
hey... i play the guitar... and the sampler... i make chill music
>>
>>63879401
If I play like guitar and bass, should I just start making some music with my shit ty mic in audacity before I get stuff like samplers or synths?
>>
I've played piano for 11 years but I'm probably only as good as a student who's played for like 3 years because I never practice lmao
>>
>>63878485
Thanks for the thread.Since 4 months I`m playing with a band,before I was just composing on my own and jaming with friends.Can someone recc me some covers that are relatively easy and known in general?Band setup is classic:Drums,2 guitars,1 bass
>>
>>63879300
Link?
>>
>>63881896
seconding, this sounds pretty interesting
>>
>>63880362
Say it Ain't So by Weezer is a good one to practice starting as a band, so is Are You Gonna be my Girl if your singer is good.
>>
I've been playing guitar for 9 years 4 hours a day and never been in a band.
>>
>>63882331
Fuck man, do you play live?
>>
>>63880362
These are staples I use when I'm working with new bands:

Captain Fantasy - Ween
Du Hast - Rammstein
Hey - Pixies (really killer if you have a decent bassist)
Mother Freedom - Bread
Uprising - Muse
War Pigs - Black Sabbath
North American Scum - LCD Soundsystem
>>
>>63882374
I've never played live either
>>
I have been playing as a proffesional musician for 8 years, and just playing for 18. Now I'm thinking about to quit.

>What instruments do you play?
Really good at piano/hammond (is not the same technique) but I can play guitar, harmonica (just easy chords and dumb solos but enought to impress plebs) Learning sax.

>What music do you create?
Many, mostly jazz, rock, funk and fusion, but I composed many other genres, pop, reggue, soul, hip hop, blues, classical, new age, ska.

>What method do you use to create music as a group? What works about it/ what does not?
One member of the band comes with some ideas, melodies, harmonies, rithms, and we build together.

When i'm composing by my one I use to imagine things or improvise on an instrument and save what I like, then I develop it.

One good technique I use is to leave the compositions recorded or writed for a time and then I listen to it again, sometimes I realised that are shit, sometimes I like and I came with better ideas to work on it after a time.

proof of no bullshiting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBpoO8vTNkM
>>
>>63884523
*own sorry for shitty english
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.