[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/Classical/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 134
Thread images: 21
File: 0028944729320_medium.jpg (148 KB, 380x380) Image search: [Google]
0028944729320_medium.jpg
148 KB, 380x380
Discuss art music, BTFO popular musicians, learn a thing or two. Tell OP he posted an excellent interpretation of an organ work, and reflect on how Mozart and Haydn studied Bach fugues on string quartet.

Massive link dump:
>General folder. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical
https://mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes Bach and Mozart subfolders
https://mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
https://mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>Debussy Folder: Recordings of Debussy's most important/famous works
https://mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera folder: Construction in progress. Features recorded productions of various operas
https://mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw
>Renaissance Folder: Paired with a chart.
https://mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>>
Lets start by addressing a few things from last thread

>>63855726
>You're implying there's a limit on what popular musicians can produce, and that there is no limit on what composers with degrees can produce. This is bullshit. You can do literally anything with a DAW and internet access.
Wouldn't it be more limiting not to learn as much as possible about your chosen art form? Giving someone a DAW and internet access doesn't really give them the knowledge needed to make anything outside popular music.
To do "anything" you need know learn about "everything". Only then will you be ready. An untrained musician can write whatever sounds good to them, and while this might be enough for plebs to appreciate, some of us need something more interesting. 4 part polyphony or applied chords or interesting modulations. Writing what "sounds good" is only the first part of writing music. From there you need to learn about the various techniques and expand what you can do.

I would also argue that writing a timeless composition that people can appreciate in 100+ years takes more skill than playing an improv set. While being a performer is its own set of skills, its nothing without composition. Improv is simply regurgitating the scales, shapes and chords you already know, but in stream of consciousness, instead of a carefully planned out composition. Why not carefully plan out a composition that sounds like an improvisation, but can be replicated over and over by different performers? Many great modern composers do this. They start with an improvisation, and form it into a masterpiece.
>>
>>63869274
Aspiring composer here. Is there a particular way you recommend to learn these things?

What would be the next best way to study these things if my college doesn't have a music major? It has something like a minor that I'm going to start this august, but I'd appreciate all tools that someone with experience would suggest I use, be them online or books or whatever.

And thanks; I think you're post is very insightful.
>>
>>63869715
The best way is to take a music degree, you're surrounded by people who know what they're talking about, and are happy to answer questions. They carefully guide you through learning the various elements of music, from composition to music history, and you work through the course with your peers so you can get together and discuss things you might be having trouble with.

The other option is to learn what you can from sites like these:
https://www.musictheory.net/lessons
http://tobyrush.com/theorypages/

But you'll have to force yourself to go through them very thoroughly and try out each technique. Writing classical is also largely about writing for real performers, which is something the internet can't really teach you how to do. you need experience getting your pieces played by real performers. this is another thing that most [good] music degrees should include, especially if you're majoring in composition, you expect to have workshops where your pieces are played by real players and dissected constructively.
>>
File: 1459410819383.png (77 KB, 752x612) Image search: [Google]
1459410819383.png
77 KB, 752x612
>>
File: Roomful of Teeth.jpg (525 KB, 1400x1400) Image search: [Google]
Roomful of Teeth.jpg
525 KB, 1400x1400
Can any of you recommend me some avant-garde contemporary choral in the same vein as this? I'm already familiar with Meredith Monk.
>>
>>63871526
kind of a unique album. google contemporary choral, you're sure to find some avant garde choral music.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePdic5HLb-U

Listening to Dido and Aeneas right now. Queintessential 'rejected by a borderline'-core
>>
>>63869098
cheers for the links bud, gonna get stuck in today

>>63871526
not in the same vein really, but for some other late 20th century choral music there is Schnittke's Requiem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9UiT_KOE-s&gl=BE
>>
File: Arvo Pärt.jpg (24 KB, 680x484) Image search: [Google]
Arvo Pärt.jpg
24 KB, 680x484
I'm trying to compile a relatively comprehensive list of contemporary choral composers and thus far, I'm familiar with: Adams, Tavener, Jenkins, Whitacre, Williams, Brissoto, Shaw, Schnittke, Monk, Zorn, Williamson, Golijov, Durufle, Musgrave, Rutter, Esenvalds, Mealor, Gjeilo, Panufnik, Dove, MacMillan, Xenakis, MacMillan, Lauridsen, Muhly, Tormis, Einhorn and of course Pärt. Am I missing anyone?
>>
>>63872841
this is good stuff anon. you should make a chart once you find some great recordings. a good 20th century choral music chart never hurt anyone
>>
I like art music, Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, the list goes on!
>>
>>63872841
is that arvo part?
>>
>>63873285
fptmiu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkwcgGQz66U
>>
>>63873310
>Arvo Pärt.jpg
>>
>>63873310
>I just found this site because of Reddit. Can someone explain reverse image search to me?
>>
>>63873310
no its anthony hopkins
>>
>>63873324
That was quite the interesting performance.
>>
File: Arvo-Full-Piano.jpg (44 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
Arvo-Full-Piano.jpg
44 KB, 600x400
Posting rare arvo full
>>
How's Janowski's Bruckner?
>>
>>63874117
Meh, routine, try Skrowaczewski instead
>>
>>63874099
When piano and man become one.
>>
File: part and schnittke 2.jpg (33 KB, 500x291) Image search: [Google]
part and schnittke 2.jpg
33 KB, 500x291
>>63874099
early rare arvo with schnittke
>>
File: 1416691068966.png (127 KB, 917x612) Image search: [Google]
1416691068966.png
127 KB, 917x612
Bump
>>
>>63875715
And another.
>>
Bumping with DJ Hummel's remix of Mozart's 40th
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyB1dUouCq8
>>
File: bach_face.jpg (75 KB, 439x475) Image search: [Google]
bach_face.jpg
75 KB, 439x475
If you listen to any pop music then you're a fucking idiot

A stupid retarded idiot who deserves to be made fun of

If there's any pop music on your computer right now then please GET THE THE FUCK OUT

You're ruining our beloved general and music as a whole

/rant
>>
>>63869274
>Wouldn't it be more limiting not to learn as much as possible about your chosen art form?
Of course. I would recommend everyone to learn as much music theory. If you've got the time I'd recommend to learn Byzantine, Turkish and Indian theory too but saying that not knowing these things render someone incapable is just retarded.

>An untrained musician can write whatever sounds good to them
Protip: this is all anyone with talent is doing, trained or otherwise. Knowing theory can make you more fluent and help your workflow instead of fumbling around but it won't give someone without talent talent. You can write music using formulae but it won't be good unless you've got talent. Machines can probably do it better than you.

>4 part polyphony or applied chords or interesting modulations.
Nigger this isn't even that esoteric. You can learn all of this shit online, many people can hear this shit in their heads. If it's easier for you to translate this with a pen and paper, great, if it's easier to make it on a DAW, great. If it's easier to play it on a Piano, great.

The average music major has probably got more knowledge of theory than Bach did but they're mostly shit.

>Improv is simply regurgitating the scales, shapes and chords you already know
If you think everything is so banal and formulaic then you don't understand improv. Bach improvised all the time. Chopin's improv was better than his compositions by many accounts. In modern times Boulez and Stockhausen used improv. It's a completely different process and the results are often better.
>>
>>63877917
Improv is still based on the things you know anon. either that or just putting your hands on random notes, which isn't very skillful. A good improv set has the musicians listening to each other and playing complementary parts. Usually this involves "what key is he playing in" and "what scales can I play that will work". I know plenty about improv, I've been doing it for 16+ years. People get to the point of learning pitch axis so they can play scales that sound wrong, but are actually theoretically correct.

>... learn Byzantine, Turkish and Indian theory too but saying that not knowing these things render someone incapable is just retarded.
someone who didn't know turkish maqams would be incapable of writing a piece in the traditional turkish style. You need to know how to detune your scale. I've used a few of these maqams/modes in pieces, very interesting and easy to work with.

As for talent, thats not what we're discussing. I'm sure we agree that theory only improves your skill set. Knowledge and talent are two separate entities
>>
poly get out
>>
>>63878164
>someone who didn't know turkish maqams would be incapable of writing a piece in the traditional turkish style
You can know them without formal training. There are hundreds of Turks and Arabs who probably never finished high school who can still compose music in that style.

>Improv is still based on the things you know anon. either that or just putting your hands on random notes, which isn't very skillful.
Sure but a good instrumentalist knows his instrument intimately and can play a melody as well or better than he could sing it or speak the language he was born with. Saying they're just "regurgitating scales, shapes and chords" is simply wrong.
>>
>>63877527
I know you're baiting but if you're not capable of also enjoying contemporary music along with classical, you're a fool
>>
>>63878353
>There are hundreds of Turks and Arabs who probably never finished high school who can still compose music in that style.
They were brought up with that style though. an average western composer or musician would still have little chance to create something genuine in that style, unless they knew something about turkish scales at the very least.

>play a melody
that melody is based on the scales and modes they know. regurgitation is the act of bringing something up without conscious thought. I think it applies perfectly to improvisation. You have digested many types of music over your life either by listening or learning, and these musical ideas are regurgitated when you improv.

Why would jazz players obsess so much about chord voicings and inversions? so they can use them when they jam. Same with modes etc. You learn modes so you can do cool solos that sound outside normal major and minor keys. You learn pitch axis etc. The best improvisers are the ones that seamlessly blend tasteful playing with theory (ie. hitting the right notes).
>>
>>63872841

What counts as contemporary? I mean, I'm not sure that Durufle is that contemporary.

And if you're subjecting yourself to Rutter and Jenkins, you should probably listen to Chilcott too.

And for Mealor, listen to his Crucifixus. It's not purely choral but in my opinion, it's the best thing he's written. He's turned into a bit of a hack these days since he's coasting on his success, but he buys me drinks when I see him so I can't complain.

And I was also going to suggest Tormis, but you've already got him there.
>>
>>63878531
if an improviser just hit the right notes all of the time, that would get boring as fuck, that's why people do crazy ornamental shit when they are playing.

>musical ideas are regurgitated when you improv
I'm not sure this is the case. sure sometimes, if you're playing in a certain scale or mode, you have certain tendencies, but free-form jamming is all about the possibilities of sounds. you can get completely new ideas spontaneously while improvising. just like you can writing notes down on paper. a musical idea can form itself in new ways in the moments when you're jamming and you can always analyze it later to discover what exact sound makes it new.
>>
>>63878531
>They were brought up with that style though.
Just as westerners are brought up with western styles.

I think using the word regurgitate is dismissive, whether you're doing it deliberately I don't know.

> blend tasteful playing with theory
To a large extent, yes. I think talent comes into play more here than formal theory. Formal training is one way to learn music but not the only one.

As for the rest of what you're saying, I more or less agree with you. I don't know if you're the same guy from yesterday.
>>
File: 1450737167726.jpg (325 KB, 1076x1137) Image search: [Google]
1450737167726.jpg
325 KB, 1076x1137
>>
File: 351.jpg (63 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
351.jpg
63 KB, 500x500
Worth picking up that Witold Malcuzynski set on Pippo?
>>
>>63880413
Schumann best girl
>>
Recommended classical guitar records?
>>
I'm looking for some fucking hardcore, dark, badass opera shit. I'm just looking for something intense and dark. I'm relatively new to classical music, but I usually like stuff that's really intense, like early swans, whitehouse, crust punk, old school death metal, slowcore like carissa's wierd. So when I say I want something with a razor edge, I'm not fucking around. I wanna music that I could smoke a fucking huge cigar and wear combat boots and listen to.
>>
>>63880413
Tfw no mozart bf.
>>
>>63883250
B L U E B E A R D S C A S T L E
>>
>>63883250

just listen to Wagner until you 'get' it
>>
>>63883250
Wozzeck, Lulu, and Elektra come to mind. The guy who suggested Wagner would have you listen to Tristan und Isolde, which is not in the modern style and isn't completely energetic, but which spurred a lot of innovation since it refused to resolve its dissonances.
>>
What is /classical/s thoughts on Jordi Savall?
>>
Can somebody recommend me a simple but insightful piece music criticism on a popular and well-known work of music?

I want to work on recognizing elements of music that I'm probably overlooking. Right now I'm blindly grasping onto pieces on the basis of visceral emotional reaction, but I know if I knew more about the thought and theory behind the music I would probably appreciate it in a more in-depth way
>>
>>63878531
>(ie. hitting the right notes).

there are no right notes. It's art. It's literally just different frequencies kiddo.

People extract meaning and enjoyment from those frequencies. Humans are different, and so are our tastes. There is no right and wrong just as equally as there is no right eye color or some other human characteristic.
>>
>>63884097
Learn to play an instrument and play some classical pieces, then you'll get it.
>>
what is some essential Ars Nova? I'm trying to get into medieval music.
>>
>>63883250
Give this a shot
https://youtu.be/FSFFR9lSVJc

already subtitled. well directed and decent acting. it's not in the original language though but it's still good for a starter.
>>63883861
tristan is quite energetic though, especially if you have a conductor that doesn't plod his way through the score. unlike some other Wagnerian operas (like, say, Die Walkure, which has some pretty boring parts) i think Tristan is probably his most immediately engaging opera and also the one that probably holds your attention for longest amount of time (except Gotterdammerung, perhaps). it doesn't have the concise nature of Wozzeck, Elektra, or Otello, but it is otherwise very succesful in regards to the immediacy in which it draws you into it's sound world, just like those other three aforementioned operas.

i would argue though that Gotterdammerung is probably overall more 'dark' than Tristan and also more involving, but it requires listening to the three previous operas in the Ring set.

and Parsifal is a bit more of a slow burn at first, but it is immensely rewarding as well.
>>
Anyone could help me find this song?
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1REMHSX0Nn6
The notes are supposed to be a choir. They are not the actual notes but the melody goest something like that. There's a Harp or maybe an actual piano in the background.
It was kind of folky, too. And the composer was maybe Hungarian. I reaaally don't remember and I need to remember. Someone posted it here before.
>>
>>63883250
Billy Budd by Benjamin Britten. Anything by Benjamin Britten really.
>>
>>63884291
Parsifal is my favorite. I actually like how slow the intro is.
>>
>>63883905

he's a bit of a memer but I do quite like some of his stuff
>>
>>63884322
Liszt
>>
>>63885580
It's definitely not liszt. Also, I believe it is a 20th century composer
>>
>>63871774

I like the one with Emma Kirkby the most desu
>>
File: 1443254627229.jpg (33 KB, 400x388) Image search: [Google]
1443254627229.jpg
33 KB, 400x388
>so many ideas for my piano concerto lost because I forgot it or couldn't get what's in my head onto paper
>modulations and melodies, glorious horn solos
>it's been months and it's still just sketches
How did they do it bros?
>>
>>63887091
they didn't waste their time shitposting on the internet
>>
What piano piece is this?
https://clyp.it/mvjnrp25
>>
>>63887175
I'm at a bus stop what do you want from me
>>
Any other works that deal with the same themes as Tristan und Isolde?
>>
>>63887300
Mein Kampf
>>
>>63887368
xD
>>
>>63880413
you know mozart had a scat fetish? I bet he was a total twink too. him and I could be like, cute little abdl buddies and we could dress up in cute submissive femboy outfits and smell each other's hot shits inside of our pants.
>>
>>63887442
Thanks, Lori.
>>
File: 1342740147520.png (537 KB, 646x759) Image search: [Google]
1342740147520.png
537 KB, 646x759
>>63887474
>>
>>63883250
Le Nozze di Figaro
>>
>>63887474
Absolutely not. He was a gross and sociopathic. genius. Probably would've laughed at you.
>>
>>63887474
Mozart was more like the autistic boy in Elementary school who yelled bizzare things and hoped around.
>>
>>63888814
This.
>>
>>63869098
Downloading absolutely everything.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnlaCenlNHk
>that amazing first chord
Man Rebel was a fucking memer how was this written in 1737
>>
>>63888604
and you know this how?
>>63888814
and you know this how?
>>
Can you guys rec me some underrated organ pieces?
>>
>>63889171
It's called first hand accounts. A simple type of the word Mozart into Google will show you first hand accounts of his behaviour. Google is nice! ; -)
>>
Which conductor did Beethoven's 6th symphony best?
>>
File: 1437085863644.jpg (183 KB, 1492x1172) Image search: [Google]
1437085863644.jpg
183 KB, 1492x1172
>>63869098
der kunts der fug
>>
>>63889257
toccata and fugue
>>
went to see Bruckner 4 live

at a uni

none of my colleagues knew Bruckner or the piece

there was even a panel thing where the conductor asked the players questions

and none of them knew shit about bruckner either

should I just drop out I feel like classical music is for idiots
>>
>>63889917
Don't fucking respond to me unless you have something relevant to post.
>>
do you all enjoy stuff like john tavener? im looking for recs related to this style of music (chorals/canticles)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcL4J0pzlAg
>>
>>63890712
ugh same with my uni too. Nobody but the music professors give a shit about classical music while the rest can't even name a symphony by Mozart.
>>
>>63883250
It's an oratorio which is kinda like an unstated opera, but Bach's passion settings. Most people say St. Matthew Passion is better but I think St. John is more accessible as it's an hour shorter (still 2 hours) and the opening (Herr, Unser Herrscherr) is pure drama. If you don't have time for the whole things I also recommend the opening of St. Matthew.
>>
>>63892513
>unstated
I mean unstaged
>>
>>63890712
>>63892450
Why would someone major in classical music if they didn't even enjoy it.
>>
>>63892450
thing is though that my Uni is supposedly one of the best in the country. so if this is what the top tier musicians of classical music are like, maybe I don't want anything to do with them or their music.

gone are the days of Pablo Cansals and Charles Draper.
>>
>>63890712
>>63892450
In my (intro) music theory we used the 2nd movement of Beethoven's 5th concerto as an example of a deceptive cadence and when the professor asked if anyone's heard the piece before, I was the only one to raise my hand. I mean I don't mean to sound pretentious but I thought the Emperor was more famous than that.
>>
>>63892576
they "enjoy" it in the sense that they spend hours every day practicing, but without any care about the context or how the damn piece sounds or its musical implications

sigh
>>
>>63892613
>I mean I don't mean to sound pretentious but I thought the Emperor was more famous than that.
you're not pretentious, it's incredibly popular.
it's not pretentious for a musician to know their genre
>>
>>63892625
That sounds awful. I am hoping to go into Opera but I don't want to be surrounded by idiots that don't even care about it.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lzh-f_mIFjQ
How can Orthocucks even compete?
>>
>>63883250
Shostakovich - Symphony 5 Movement 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1h1NJMKtnc

Shostakovich - Symphony 10 Movement 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZbJOE9zNjw

Verdi - Dies Irae
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO1pn6D-t4M

Mozart - Requiem (the first three parts - Requiem aeternam, Kyrie eleison, Dies Irae - are wonderful but the Dies Irae is right up your alley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5Y2B55nKZY
>>
>>63892856
>opera
>>
>>63892890
>I'm just looking for something intense and dark.
>>
>>63889257
som1 plz
>>
>>63893314
have you heard brahms organ works
>>
>>63893336
n bb
>>
File: Cory.jpg (198 KB, 800x463) Image search: [Google]
Cory.jpg
198 KB, 800x463
I like Mahler and Dvorak what next?

Plz no Wagner.
>>
>>63893557
http://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2201741
Get to it then.
>>
>>63893560
bruckner bitch
>>
>>63869098
Why did Bach call this collectiong of work the Fudge Cunt? Was he into black women?
>>
>>63882855
Anything related to José Antonio López and anything played by him.
>>
>>63884563
>The Water is Wide is dark and intense

O waly o waly ishygddt
>>
>>63884117
So ill take a shit on your piano and Call it music cus I feel those are the right notes.

Get that shit outta here, faggot, and take you 4'33 with you.
>>
>>63892582
>Pablo Casals
Curious, what uni you from, man?
>>
>>63892625
This is why a music appreciation class in the first year maybe coupled with history of music is so essential.
>>
>>63887091
sing that shit into a recording device or something. capture the inspiration.

A real composer would be working on that shit all day every day until it was finished. done and dusted in 4 weeks.

>>63889257
Froberger.

>>63893560
Janacek, Franck, Bartok?

>>63893702
heh top kek
>>
>>63894095
No, but the beginning definitely is.
>>
Ah, classical. I did not know we had a thread for intellectual minds such as myself.

What have you guys been listening to lately? Favorite time signature?

>bach
>5/16
>>
>>63895338
>Reicha Fugues
>6/8 (dont go all scientific on me, mercenary)
>>
File: beethovencake.jpg (283 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
beethovencake.jpg
283 KB, 960x1280
>>63894648
But it's hard
>>
>>63895338
>What have you guys been listening to lately?

Bach, Beethoven, Mozart.
>>
>>63896284
The list goes on...
>>
>>63889257

Here's a list I made a while back. Not all underrated, but you might find some stuff there to chew on. Got some stuff to add as well:

>Fantasia Chromatica - Sweelinck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtNaKNZqc5s
>Prelude in E Minor - Buxtehude
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMOSsUklqQY
>Prelude and fugue in C Minor BWV 546
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLtjwOnY7Xs
>Fantasia and Fugue in G Minor 'The Great' BWV 542
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg50ozbZcqM
>Prelude and Fugue in D Major BWV 532
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUBYjdMfE24
>Prelude and Fugue in G Minor - Brahms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzYHxXWSg7I
>Organ Sonata no. 3 - Mendelssohn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8AARo-mrsw
>Organ fantasy on 'Ein feste burg ist unser Gott' - Reger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqHCtxiK8Q8
>Messe a l'usage des Paroisses - F. Couperin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcQgxpHb4Zc
>Grand piece symphonique - Franck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAMz_R1faQ0
>Organ Symphony no. 1 - Vierne
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckLjodoI1PA
>Messe Solenelle - Vierne
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zjlRHP0tjk
>Organ symphony no. 5 - Widor (all of his organ symphonies are worth a listen, 5 is the most famous)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckLjodoI1PA
>Litanies - Alain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrH-zCJMb7s
>Prelude et Fugue sur le nom d'Alain - Durufle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9pf6mecbv8
>L'Ascension - Messiaen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1Qxixombe0
>Fantasy and Fugue on the chorale Ad nos, ad salutarem undam - Liszt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF8TAiIHLpk
>Messa della Domenica - Frescobaldi (the other two organ masses from Fiori Musicali are worth a listen too)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pezsnSNBNH4
>>
>>63896319
To say the list goes on implies other composers are at the same rank as these three, which with the exception of Haydn is blatantly not true. Therefore imust be said that Mozart is still woefully underrated.
>>
>>63896325

Additions:

>Mulet - Carillion Sortie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcRyXfs0K7U
>Sweelinck - Mein junges Leben hat ein End
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSxoD_aDQpE&nohtml5
>Schmidt - Fuga Solemnis (9 minutes of dense Teutonic counterpoint, then a bit of brass band memery before a delicious ending featuring one of the best modulations in the repertoire)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfgxRNt4c0A&nohtml5
>Bruhns - 'Great' Prelude in E Minor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u5nrV1IRdo

Also go through the Bach chorale preludes, preferably listening to Bach's harmonisation of each chorale that the prelude is based on so you can appreciate them a bit more.

>>63892513

The opening of the St Matthew is incredible. I still have a soft spot for the St John but I'm coming around to realise how incredible the Matthew is.

>Double-choir with choir 1 calling for all to lament
>Choir II entering with declamatory block chords in response
>then the trebles emerge out of the textures with the cantus firmus of O Lamm Gottes

It's astoundingly beautiful.

>>63894095

>implying Claggart's aria isn't one of the most powerful moments in opera

THE LIGHT SHINES IN THE DARKNESS AND THE DARKNESS COMPREHENDS IT AND SUFFERS.

>>63884563

But yeah, not everything Britten wrote is dark and gloomy, just a fair bit of it.
>>
>>63880413
dvorak and brahms are so cute
>>
How do I into Mozart? Where to start
>>
File: 1452226498096.jpg (519 KB, 838x557) Image search: [Google]
1452226498096.jpg
519 KB, 838x557
>>63897005
>>
File: cover.jpg (83 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
83 KB, 500x500
What're some good recordings of Mozart's string quintets?
>>
File: front.jpg (114 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
front.jpg
114 KB, 350x350
>>63897107
Not sure if they've done the D major and E flat major quintets, but who cares since the C major one is clearly the best right.
>>
>>63897107
The one with Primrose. Griller, I think?
>>
>>63897125
>not the G minor quintet
>>
>>63897806
>underrating Mozart's grandest conception in sonata form, featuring his most massive exposition (longer than both that of the Prague Symphony and the Eroica Symphony)
Further Proof
>>
>>63890712
>I feel like classical music is for idiots

I feel like killing myself every time I talk to classical majors.

>What kind of music do you like?
Oh idk, stuff like Dream theatre, Regina Spektor, you know

>....okay. I suppose you mostly like classical then?
I love classical! Mozart, Tchaikovsky, the list goes on! I even found this new guy you might like. His name's Chopin!

They're mostly children of pushy parents who just practice for hours on end. They can learn to play a piece perfectly well but actually ask them to sit down and play their instrument and it's like asking them to speak Greek.
>>
>>63877527
>not having enough brain power to enjoy both
>>
>>63899377

>tfw being a singer is this but 10x worse because singers don't really have to practice for 8 hours per day to 'make it' unlike instrumentalists.

Although shitposting aside, I've actually learnt a fair bit from /classical/ since I started browsing in 2012ish.
>>
>>63899377
Christ, my friend who only has a passing interest in classical sounds like he knows more than them.

How hopeless.
>>
>>63900008

Yeah most singers are absolutely hopeless when it comes to anything that is outside their repertoire/not for voice

The story that I always get out is that one day, a choir that I sing with had Gardiner visiting to do a 2 hour conducting masterclass of sorts. Of the ~30 people in the choir (and this isn't some community choir that just does arrangements of pop songs, but a chapel choir which sings 3 services per week at minimum), about 5 people knew who he was.
>>
File: classical-music-2.jpg (44 KB, 1050x788) Image search: [Google]
classical-music-2.jpg
44 KB, 1050x788
Hey guys ! If you need a non-Classical anon to prove that classical music is the best, which albums/symphonies would you recommend him ?
>>
>>63869098
Guys, does anyone have a mega link to Monteverdi's works? Would highly appreciate it if you could provide me with such a link, torrents aren't doing it for me, too few seeders.
>>
Should I get into Machaut if I enjoyed Perotin?
Thread replies: 134
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.