[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Instruments
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
File: cello.png (125 KB, 445x355) Image search: [Google]
cello.png
125 KB, 445x355
ITT
Do any of you pla any instruments?
If yes,
1. which instrument?
2. how long have you played for?
3. are you any good?
4. how often/long do you practice?
5. do you play alone or in a group?

me:
1. >pic related
2. only 5 months
3. not really yet. i can play some simple songs like scarborough fair etc
4. I try to do 20-30 minutes every day, but I don't have the time quite often
5. still learning how to actually play, but I want to join a chamber music group as asoon as I#m competent enough and have the basics
>>
>>63855465
Violin for 14 years
>rarely pick it up anymore, used to be part of an orchestra but stopped because of work. Was semi-decent, not sure now
guitar for 5
> it's always by my desk. I don't play with others but when people hear me play they tell me I'm good. probably just to be polite desu
piano for 3
>only know 4 pieces but I know them really well so people think I'm very good at piano (I'm not, it's all muscle memory)
>>
Guitar for 5 years.
Pick it up a couple times a week and play for half an hour or so.
A little bit. I didn't take classes or anything, so I had to grind my way up understanding how the instrument works. The day I found out how scales were useful I was amazed.
Usually alone, people usually don't play anything.

Also, the bass for 4 years.
Same as the guitar
>>
Violin for 18 and piano for 4 month. Before that I played drums for 10 years and guitar for 5 years but quit because it got boring fast.
I guess I'm OK for the time being. I try to practice every day at least 1 hour. I usually do more than that.
Alone and every once in a while with a few violists and other violinists.
>>
>>63855465
Acoustic and electric guitar for 8 years
>I really don't know if I'm any good or not, i know more than the average player though
>I practice electric and acoustic for about 3 hours a day.
>Usually play by myself, but sometimes jam and perform with my sister

Ukulele for a year and a half
>not sure if "good" can describe anybody who picks up a ukulele, since anybody can be decent at it. i originally got it to mock faggot-ukulele-playing-snapback-wearing-cunts but then realized it sounds good in a mix
>i don't practice with it much, it's too easy to forget
>same as guitar in terms of who i play with

Bass guitar for 4 months
>I'm below average in skill and technique.
>I practice it about as much as guitar, just kinda switching inbetween instruments during a long-practice session every day
>same as guitar
>>
>>63855465
Drums

2 years. the first six months i had no teacher and the rest of the time i have

People tell me that im really good but thats because they havent seen drumming up close before so i think they get excited. But im really just okay at them.

i rarely practice and i only play like 1 a week f that. my garage is really messy so i hate going in there or else i would play more
>>
>>63855465

>1. which instrument?
Well, 1) marimba and other "classic" percussion, 2) guitar, 3) piano
>2. how long have you played for?
1) 7-8 years? I'm at university to study percussion; 2) ~8 years, haven't practiced at all in the past two do not counting those years, 3) at least 15 (since very young)
>3. are you any good?
1) fairly good 2) lol 3) kind of? Still need work
>4. how often/long do you practice?
1) supposed to do an hour a day at minimum, but more like three times a week, max; 2) lol 3) rarely
>5. do you play alone or in a group?
I play in several ensembles on campus as far as percussion goes. Used to play in guitar ensembles, and piano? Well, that's just piano, I suppose. Don't do gigs.
>>
> Alto Sax for 10 years, Tenor Sax for 7, Clarinet for 6, Baritone Sax for 4 and Piano for 10, though only for theory
>Was part of of NYJO until December so I guess so
>Practice my Alto every day for 1.5 hours min, other stuff varies, I don't own a Baritone
>At the moment alone, though I miss playing in a band
>>
File: sweating.jpg (197 KB, 752x918) Image search: [Google]
sweating.jpg
197 KB, 752x918
1. Guitar, singing, bass, drums
2. All of them for 8 years
3. Yeah, I'm best at singing, I'm told I'm great at guitar as well.
4. every day at least 15 minutes.
5. Both. Plenty of friends who play
>>
>Trumpet
I'm bad. I used to be ok at it when I was a kid, but I wanted to be an edgemaster and dropped it. I'm trying to reteach myself
>Guitar
3 years, I'm decent I think. Practice Every day
>Banjo
6 months. I'm getting better. I practice a few times a week and I use a cello bow sometimes
>Vocals
Seriously, for a few months. I'm just trying to get good enough to the point where I can sing on my own music

I don't want to overload myself, but I want to rent an accordion and try it out
>>
>>63858898
Why don't you just stick with guitar and vocals for now until you are confident that you're decent and good. Instruments take a long time to learn and spreading that out over multiple instruments is going to make this process unnecessarily long.
>>
>>63858898
>Banjo

I'm jealous. Recently bought a mandolin to learn for cheap (~$95 w/student discount) but I'd really like to have a go at a banjo.
>>
>>63855465
>1. which instrument?
double bass and guitar
11 and 1 year(s) respectively
>3. are you any good?
no
guitar: 2 hours a day, double bass: not at all, unless someone asks me to play with them
guitar: alone, double bass: almost exclusively with other people
>>
>>63858939
Thanks for the advice. I've always done rhythm or classical fingerstyle on the guitar. Literally never owned an electric until later this week. My vocals were dogshit until just recently

>>63858963
I took a chance with banjo and just bought the best one within my price range. If you have a background in guitar, especially fingerstyle, it isn't too hard to pick up
>>
>1. which instrument?
1. Banjolele
2. Guitar
3. Ukulele
4. Harmonica
5. Washboard
6. Jews Harp
1. 2 years
2. 6 months
3. 3 years
4. 1.5 years
5. 1 week
6. 6 months
>3. are you any good?
1. yes
2. no
3. yes
4. yes
5. no
6. no
everyday 1-2 hours all together
alone, no-one will play with me
>>
Lmao. All of you people trying to play five instruments, stick to one and master it. Why be shit at five instruments when you can be a master at one?
>>
>>63859671
>Lmao. All of you people trying to play five instruments, stick to one and master it. Why be shit at five instruments when you can be a master at one?
Ambition, mostly.
>>
File: keyboard.jpg (82 KB, 1024x703) Image search: [Google]
keyboard.jpg
82 KB, 1024x703
I play keyboard and my favourite tune is shitposting

honestly though I'd like to try cello, how hard is it if you've never touched an instrument before?
>>
>>63859671
No-one wants to be in band with me so I have to try and be a one man band
>>
Guitar for 9 years
Yes
Depends, sometimes I'll not touch it for days and other times I'll play for 5 hours every day
Only played with one band in my life, we did a middle school gig and that's it
>>
that's why you need to be good on your instrument
>>
>>63855465
1. Bass & Piano
2. 10y & 1y
3. Yes & no
4. 2h & 1h a day when I can make it, recently been busy so 30min/30min
5. Both
>>
lmao at all you people who have been playing guitar for almost a decade and practice 15-30 minutes a day, I bet all you play is 4/4 and chords while you sing some rock songs in a pop-voice
>>
drums
5 years
eh, no.
an hour every day or two at least.
mostly alone, but i'm in a band.
>>
>>63859671

Tom Waits once said something about learning a new instrument once he notices he doesn't have think when playing. Obv he is not a virtuoso at anything, but I doubt anybody would challenge his musicianship. Learning several instruments also support each other if the study is structured and you have a solid theory-base.

>>63859988

Just because somebody practices 30min a day right now doesn't mean they didn't practice 4h for 3 years and 8h for 4 years when getting their Bachelor's in Performance. Ron Carter commented on how little he actually practices, a couple of hours a week or smth, just because he's so busy.
>>
>>63858898
I have both a cello and Banjo but the thought of using the bow on the banjo is new to me, thx anon I got something cool to try
>>
>>63859988
someone who speaks the truth! They bring shame on the instrument. I don't personally play the guitar but it pisses me off when someone says they can and it turns out they play some shit rock music and play a little blues improv over it.
>>
>>63855465
>violin
>10 years
>I'm alright
>Used to practice more in high school but now I'm part of some all university orchestra where I don't
>mostly groups, have done 4 solos
>>
>>63860150
If you aren't thinking when playing your instrument then you aren't playing it.
>>
>>63860227
if you can't play without thinking you have no talent or skill.
>>
>>63858898
how do you train your vocals? Is there some online program you follow?
>>
>>63860345
you think about every note you play, you put your emotion into each note and choose them. I'm not talking about playing a shitty 4 chord progression.
>>
>>63860227

Ask any professional jazz musician what they played after a gig and they'll just go "dunno, stuff". Improvisation plays a big role in many different musics, and Waits is known to be quite erratic and spontaneous in his approach to studio work.

>>63860353

There are a lot of resources for vocals (Complete Vocal Technique, Youtube, Vaccaj and a lot of other classical stuff is completely free), but you really should get a teacher, especially during the first few months. This is because it is very easy to ruin your voice with wrong technique, and relearning is always a pain. A good teacher will immediately notice if you have a tendency to do something weird and potentially harmful. It doesn't even have to be weekly, just meet him/her once a month to check up on your progress. So travel is also not a problem unless you live in the Sahara. Skype lessons are a thing these days as well, but there might be some things that could go unnoticed on a stream.

>>63860451

The thinking is done while practising and preparing for the actual gig, at the gig you just let go. This is what separates "professional" trained players just rehashing old licks from the true musicians.
>>
>>63860451
maybe you do, but i'm just over here exploring sound without really thinking about it. you'll get it one day.
your subconscious mind has all the good ideas, and thinking about what you're doing leads to cliche and doing the same tired stuff you've been taught.
>>
>>63860451
>he doesn't understand how much of brain function is subconscious

Most of your brain function isn't at the conscious level man, this is psych 101.
>>
>>63855465
>guitar
>20 years off and on
>yes
>depends if i can find decent people to jam with
>group only. practicing alone does nothing for me.
>>
>>63855465
Saxophone (8 years)
>I play bari, alto, and tenor, though mostly the tenor. I'm in a marching, a concert, and a jazz band. I play tenor for the marching and the concert and bari for jazz. I'm pretty decent and I practice about every other day
Electric and acoustic guitar (1 year)
>Picked this up last year, have been practicing everyday since. It's a great stress relief. I'm not in any bands or music groups yet, but I plan to be in the near future.
Piano (4 months)
>Just started taking lessons. Enjoy it a lot
>>
>>63860160
Yeah, it's a pretty cool sound. If you play cello you'll probably be good at it
>>
File: 148131.jpg (57 KB, 600x360) Image search: [Google]
148131.jpg
57 KB, 600x360
1 Pic related
2 7 years
3 I'd like to think so
4 2 hours a day generally, though recently having a hard time getting motovated.
5 I play in my college's wind symphony, chamber winds, and I'm marching with Blue Devils B this summer. Though I still practice solo pieces.
>>
>>63855465
French Horn. Sing bass in choirs. Can play trumpet, but only middle range.
Played for around 6 years, sang for about 10.
I was pretty decent at horn. I definitely regret not practicing more in high school. I managed to get to state solo for voice, so I think I was pretty good at that.
I don't have good diligence, so I didn't practice much. I need to take my horn in for maintenance and I intend to pick it back up because I kind of neglected it since graduating high school.
I played in every group I could in high school, which was around 5-6 at a time, but haven't done anything since.
>>
>>63855465
Guitar, Tenor Sax, Drums, Violin
3 years, 2 years, 1 year, couple months
I'm okay at everything except violin which I'm shit at
about an hour or two a day on two of those instruments
alone
>>
>>63855465
I play the bassoon.
Played for the past 12 years.
Yes.
4 hours a day.
Play alone, with an accompanist and with a Symphony.
>>
I can play the clarinet poorly
>>
>Guitar
3 years, but I practice all day because I'm in ez mode college and have
I like to just jam while I watch movies all day, and I'm good enough to figure out riffs by ear, and I'm getting into lead
>Keyboard
1 year, not really serious about it
Dick around on cheap synth and drum machine making John Carpenterish type stuff, and can play some dadrock organ solos
>Bass
1 year, play easy bass lines for fun
>>
>>63862125
Oops
Forgot to finish the first part
*have most of the week off
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.