[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New Kayo Dot Album announced for June 24th. All aboard the hype
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: KayoDotPlastcHouseOnBaseOfSky.jpg (154 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
KayoDotPlastcHouseOnBaseOfSky.jpg
154 KB, 600x600
New Kayo Dot Album announced for June 24th.
All aboard the hype train!
>>
Kayo Dot has never made the same record twice. From chamber music to progressive black metal, from goth to jazz and avant-garde classical, Kayo Dot is undeniably experimental and utterly unclassifiable. Since its inception in 2003, the band has released seven full-length albums, including their debut Choirs of the Eye (2003), the conceptual double-album Hubardo (2013) and most recently Coffins on Io (2014, The Flenser). Kayo Dot have toured the globe numerous times over and have played the stages of Roadburn, SXSW, and many other international music festivals. In 2015, frontman Toby Driver organized and played a 12-concert retrospective at The Stone in NYC. Now, Kayo Dot is gearing up for the release of a new LP: Plastic House on Base of Sky, due out June 24th, 2016 from The Flenser.

On Plastic House on Base of Sky, Kayo Dot fully embraces Coffins on Io’s electronic allusions, incorporating a variety of synthesizers (many of them vintage analog) to create another work of ambition and magnitude that fuses the explosive musical imagination of a band like Magma with the forward-thinking experimentalism of Conrad Schnitzler or Morton Subotnick. This 40 minute-long, 5-song LP goes beyond the future-noir theme of Coffins on Io and is an innovative and biomechanical work of art. Think seemingly impossible architecture, dead satellites, trashed space stations, wasted old lady heroin addicts hanging out by cheap motel pools, broken people, and a hopeless dead and polluted world transitioning into artifice and mechanism and reacting by being self-destructive, either to the point of utter obliteration or a glorious transhuman condition.
>>
Toby Driver, the primary composer and bandleader of Kayo Dot, has been fiercely productive over the years, and while that usually refers to how many songs or albums an artist has made, with Driver the productivity is in the realm of ideas as much as music itself. In the course of a single Kayo Dot song, the amount of risks and liberties taken with form and convention usually outnumbers what other artists cover in a full album. For as much ground as they cover, it’s always in the service of a carefully curated mood and this is apparent on Plastic House on Base of Sky’s exploration of our mechanical post-human future-present.

The core of Kayo Dot might be that mood– one that lies at the crossroads of darkness and mystery. In film, music that accompanies mystery is often nocturnal, playing on a primal relation in our brains between the unknown and the night. It’s this intersection that is the essence of Kayo Dot. Driver, who recorded Plastic House on Base of Sky in various locations from August 2014 to December 2015, again collaborates with lyricist Jason Byron. Byron, a lifelong student of the occult, gives the listener a feast of words to unpack that are as elusively satisfying as the labyrinths of sound they travel through. Whether by way of menacing guitars, ethereal woodwinds, or aggressive electronics, there’s always a sense that a new passage could open, that around the next corner could be anything.

http://theflenser.com/
>>
fucking sweet, new KD and Swans on the same day

i enjoyed the last one, looking forward to this.
>>
i'll wait for the next liturgy record
>>
bump
come on you fucking assholes, are there so few kayo dot fans here?
>>
HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE
>>
>>63830065
I love Kayo Dot and Coffins was a seriously good record. But for real what's up with this cover art lmao. It's like some discount CLAMP art or something.
>>
>>63830777
Kayo Dot = weird
I really love their new way of style, seems like they've dropped pretentiousness for a even higher regard, perhaps
>>
>>63830777
this is definitely their worst art yet
also the logo doesn't fit at all
>>
>>63830847
well seems like I'm the only one that think this shit rules
>>
>>63830065
Man the Flenser is really slow on releases this year... I wonder if they have too much money tied up in the GC box set..
>>
>>63830864
i just think it's their worst (actually that might be dowsing anemione now that i think about it) but i still like it, it might grow on me too
>>
>>63830777
I agree, coffins was an underrated record. Honestly I don't think they'll ever top Choir Of The Eye at this point but I'm excited to see what direction they go in on this new release
>>
>>63830919
when I spoke with Toby at his solo tour he said it will be like very synth-based weird anime-soundtrack like shit and no one will like it
>>
>>63830847
i like the painting. but i don't like their current font.
>>
>>63830967
what anime does he like?
>>
>>63830919
Choirs Of The Eye is probably my favourite record ever. Hubardo was really good too though.
>>
File: Mononoke-Hulu-Header.jpg (63 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
Mononoke-Hulu-Header.jpg
63 KB, 600x338
>>63830988
idk but probably something like pic related
>>
File: 1400265056353.jpg (3 KB, 125x126) Image search: [Google]
1400265056353.jpg
3 KB, 125x126
Not sure what am I hyped for more, this or Swans
>>
File: 1447196684490.gif (973 KB, 350x260) Image search: [Google]
1447196684490.gif
973 KB, 350x260
I HAVEN'T EVEN LISTENED TO MUCH KAYO DOT BUT FUCK YES
>>
>>63830065
I think the cover is qt desu
>>
>>63831026
I want to hang out with him and discuss xxxholic, katanagatari, utena and SHAFT shows desu
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 250x250
>>63830967
meh challenge accepted. Toby's one of those dudes who tries his hardest to eschew fans for the sake of reaching higher levels of avant-garde, so him telling you that really doesn't surprise me, but usually what he makes ends up brilliantly listenable anyway.
>>63831007

>mfw the chaos at the end of Manifold Curiosity

I really just couldn't stand the opening track on Hubardo. The vocals made me want to stab myself in the ears. The rest of the record is wonderful though, yeah
>>
Everything they've made since their debut is garbage
will this be any different ?
>>
>>63831227
>the first climax in manifold
I kinda like the opening track actually, but it's probably my least favourite on Hubardo.
>>
>>63831227
agreed on first part
don't agree on Hubardo, love that track too, the thing is Jason Byron lost a bit of his abilities
>>
>>63831289
>the first climax in manifold
this is my favorite moment in music
>>
how different are motW and KayoDot?
>>
I'll listen to it but I haven't really enjoyed a KD album since Dowsing Anemone
>>
>>63831317
same. it's fucking stunning. i hope i can see it live sometime.

>>63831323
pretty different. choirs is pretty much the third motW record but it's still really different from motW stuff. choirs and hubardo are probably the most similar ones
>>
>>63831323
Motw are closer to avant-garde metal and use more orchestral strings and such. Kayo Dot is a lot more experimental and use more synths and noise and the like. Both great in their own regard
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.