[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've never listened to a single album and have only ever
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: download.jpg (4 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
4 KB, 300x168
I've never listened to a single album and have only ever heard a handful of singles. I feel like he's an important musical icon for this generation (whether or not you think he's good), and that I should at least see what all the hubub is about.

What album should I start with?
>>
Start with MBDTF as it's considered his best, get into it then next try listed below depending on the genre you listen and like the most:
Hip-Hop: College Dropout
Industrial/Rock: Yeezus
Pop/Indie: 808s
After that you'll probably be hooked.
>>
just listen to them all in order
>>
>>63829852
Everyone will tell you to start with MBDTF, which is fine, but if you've never listened to hip-hop before that album won't do it for you.

I generally disagree with people who say you should listen to an artist chronologically, because there's almost always a better way, but with Kanye I would advise that you start with College Dropout, his first album, to get a feel for it. After that, listen to Late Registration (his second album). Once you like both of those, skip forward to MBDTF,

Once those three are done, flip a coin. Heads, listen to 808s. Tails, listen to Yeezus. Those two albums have some spiritual connections that I don't feel like explaining right now, but they're both very very different from Kanye's other work and from "traditional" hip-hop.

After you've listened to those five, you can move on to Gradutation (his poppiest/most "sellout" album and usually ranked as his worst) and then TLOP (which is just kinda weird). Watch the Throne is okay too. Avoid Cruel Summer, it sucks.
>>
>>63829852
don't feel bad, OP. I only know him as a twitter clownshow, a meme, and as an artist whose every every album has a poorly-designed cover. I feel he's more hype than legit icon and feel no pressing need to listen to his 'bleached-asshole' lyrics at all.

I'm not even gonns start.
>>
>>63830418
>every album has a poorly-designed cover
>'bleached-asshole' lyrics

Further proof that 95% of all Kanye haters know literally nothing about his music. Have you looked into anything that he's ever done outside of TLOP?
>>
>>63830418
this is probably bait, but if not /mu/ is in a worse state than I've thought
>>
>>63830317
This is the correct response imo
>>
>>63830418
If you aren't baiting then you're missing out.
He's one of those guys that really need to be disconnected from their internet persona at first, until you' get some perspective on him through his music. Dude's really fucking passionate about everything he does, and with the lack of filter on the internet he gets really misunderstood tons of time.
>>
>>63830418
>and as an artist whose every every album has a poorly-designed cove
MBDTF's cover art is amazing, and the alternative cover is even better.
>>
>>63830440
Good Idea, so all of Weezers music should be considered at the same level of Raditude!
>>
>>63830481
Can we go one fucking thread without someone bringing up Weezer? They suck, and I'll be happy when White Album hype dies down and people go back to understanding that they're just shitty.
>>
>>63829852
If you've never listened to Hip Hop then start with College Dropout or Late Registration, then move Chronological order.

If you've listened to plenty of Hip Hop, then start with MBDTF, move unto Graduation, then 808, then Yeezus, then his early, and finish with TLOP.
>>
Start with college dropout and just move up his collection chronologically from there. Don't start with TLOP. Maybe begin with MBDTF, but I would reccomened listening chronologically like they were meant to be heard. But I would avoid 808, I h8 that album
>>
>>63830733
808s is amazing but isn't a hip-hop album. Listen to it again after you've been broken up with, or after your mom dies, and it might click a little more.

I would avoid Graduation, it's boring.
>>
As most here seem to say, start with Late Registration or the College Dropout. If you're not really into hip-hop in general, MBDTF might be a better starting point (it's what got me into rap in the first place)
>>
>>63829852
I'd go with dropout trilogy, mbdtf, then 808s, yeezus, and tlop
If you've ever liked stuff similar to industrial music or death grips, I'd probably do yeezus earlier
If you're more of a pop guy, 808s should probably be earlier
TLOP should always be last
>>
every song simultaneously
>>
Listen in order. He starts off pretty normal but gets more experimental over time.
>>
>>63831667
This
>>
Wow another thread full of retards riding Kanye's dick. He's a dumbshit and has made it abundantly clear.

"Be careful what you pretend to be, because you are what you pretend to be"

He is the perfect example of this. It doesn't matter if he's *acting* like an egotistical dumbfuck that sucks at music; if that's what he acts like, that's what he is.
>>
>>63832563
>sucks at music

kys.
>>
File: 1323174351111.jpg (5 KB, 126x126) Image search: [Google]
1323174351111.jpg
5 KB, 126x126
>>63832595

Not even going to argue it. It's like telling Mormons that they're full of shit. There's more than enough evidence, but really, they don't care.
>>
I think chronological order is best with Kanye. Gives you an idea of his different phases.
>>
>>63830733
Trust me when I say you're missing out. I used to HATE 808s, didn't even bother to pay attention to much of it because of the over the top autotune and the beats in general weren't appealing to me, but like another anon said you've to listen to it on a certain sad mood and it will be AMAZING, once it clicks you're gonna love it.
>>
>>63832623
>most music critics, one of the largest fanbases and any rap/hip-hop board ever are wrong because I say so

>oh also I'm going to mention subjective evidence that is nothing more than an opinion which probably doesn't even exist in the first place. That will show him!
>>
>>63832736

>music critics
Oh you mean people that get paid money to ride pop artists' dicks?

>largest fanbase
>implying people liking it makes it good

>any rap/hip-hop board ever
lol
>>
>>63832810
>in the end the only opinion that matters is mine

fell for the meme, friend.
>>
File: 1359217893589.png (64 KB, 894x894) Image search: [Google]
1359217893589.png
64 KB, 894x894
>>63833056

>it couldn't be that i'm on a board that licks his asshole
>>
S T A R T W I T H L A T E R E G I S T R A T I O N

MBDTF IS NOT HIS BEST, ONLY PEOPLE WHO CANNOT THINK OUTSIDE OF PITCHFORK SCORES CONSIDER IT HIS BEST.

YEEZUS IS REALLY BAD TOO.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.