[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is M83 vaporwave now? A quote from Gonzalez about the album
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3
File: M83-Junk-full-size-compressed.jpg (93 KB, 620x620) Image search: [Google]
M83-Junk-full-size-compressed.jpg
93 KB, 620x620
Is M83 vaporwave now?

A quote from Gonzalez about the album title:
>Anything we create today is going to end up being space junk at one point anyway, and I find it really fascinating and scary at the same time - beautiful too in a way. I have this image of pieces of humanity floating in space, lost forever. It also means that nowadays everything goes so fast and everybody is kind of throwing away art in a certain manner. People will listen to an album for instance and just pick a track they like to put on a playlist. They're not going to take the time to listen to an album anymore because they have to jump on the next thing.
>>
>nowadays everything goes so fast and everybody is kind of throwing away art in a certain manner. People will listen to an album for instance and just pick a track they like to put on a playlist.

>implying people haven't been making mixtapes for decades now
>implying that before mixtapes albums were even a popular medium
>implying people haven't always been jumping onto new art hype trains ever since the dawn of recorded history
just because no one remembers your music doesn't mean that all modern art will be forgotten
cry more Gonzo
>>
Really, so people can't have favorite tracks, people can't make playlists to listen to some variety in a short period of time, everyone should only ever listen to full albums? Fuck, that's gay.
>>
>>63820230
Where did he imply any of that
>>
>>63820230
yeah you're stupid, in the age of the internet and the generation of ADHD the only art that can catch the attention of the masses for long enough for them to open their minds to it is music that has been composed as a literal skinner box, i.e. dubstep and other electronic garbage that some loser spends 10 minutes making in Logic Pro then posts on soundcloud
>>
>>63820273
>nowadays everything goes so fast and everybody is kind of throwing away art in a certain manner. People will listen to an album for instance and just pick a track they like to put on a playlist.They're not going to take the time to listen to an album anymore because they have to jump on the next thing.

>>63820286
what does this have to do with any of my points?
>>
>>63820264
people consume art without deliberately contriving meaning or a true understanding of the music, its true, every song ever made is a click away why spend time getting intimate with music when its more easier and more rewarding to just binge listen to whatever makes you feel good right now

its just junk to listen to and make time rest a little bit easier on your soul on the way to work or whatever the fuck keeps modern man from engaging his soul
>>
>>63820314
none of your "points" address OP's thesis so get fucked in the ass with an aids infested bum cock
>>
VAPORWAVE IS DEAD
so if they are vaporwave now, they are probably too much late
>>
>>63820314
And where did he imply any of the things you said he implied?
>>
>>63820321
People can make and listen to music for any purpose they like. Not all music is made to be meaningful and not everyone wants to find meaning in music. What's wrong with that?
>>
>63820341
>nowadays everything goes so fast and everybody is kind of throwing away art in a certain manner. People will listen to an album for instance and just pick a track they like to put on a playlist.They're not going to take the time to listen to an album anymore because they have to jump on the next thing.
is your monitor broken? can you not see this?
>>
>>63820337
>Not-totally-obscure indie artist promotes some vapor themes
>"vaporwave is deed'
>>
He is in a way right, but I don't think that means he's being vapor
>>
>>63820371
You STILL haven't pointed out where he implies all the things you say he is. Saying that people do something now doesn't mean that can't have also done it in the past

Good job with the link
>>
>>63820350
that's not the point

its that even when the music is meaningful, it will not get the same recognition that meaningful music of the past will get simply because this generation is spoiled by the internet
>>
>>63820413
> It also means that nowadays everything goes so fast and everybody is kind of throwing away art in a certain manner.
>nowadays
nowadays implies that he thinks that it hasn't happened in the past.
if someone says, "all the kids nowadays only listen to Death Grips" you would assume that they didn't only listen to Death Grips in the past.
it isn't explicitly saying it, but it heavily implies it and you must be incredibly pedantic not to see this.
>>
>>63820476
Sounds like you're the pedantic one
>>
>>63820476
>>63820503
shallow and pedantic
>>
>>63820432
That's a generalization and exaggeration. Everyone's different, meaningful music will always have an audience, as will meaningless fun music, and that's nothing new either.
>>
>>63820557
wrong, its very new, and it because of the internet

all music is immediately accessible with the internet, which was not before possible

we have a greater demand for here and now, and time is less of a commodity

things are very different, people spent alot more time with the music of the past because music was less saturated (the internet; the occupation and oppurtunity to make music was in a different place)

the state of music today and its worth is comparable to inflation and the American dollar
>>
File: ebin.jpg (74 KB, 1000x960) Image search: [Google]
ebin.jpg
74 KB, 1000x960
>>63820286
>m-muh real physical instrument that I will then record and turn them into data anyways
the irony is so tasty
>>
>>63820797
not my point, i said dubstep (and various subgenres, trap, hybrid, etc.)

dubstep follows a universal song structure
specifically the part where- buildup....DROP

thats the skinner box part, and can be predicted in every dubstep song, yet no matter how predictable, the kids lose their shit at the drop like clockwork because nothing else in the song matters, as long as the drop is filthy people will want to dance
also go on soundcloud and just browse #dubstep

never has there ever been a more saturated and watered down genre in the history of all music and all of mankind

>inb4 hip hop

go on soundcloud and surf for 10 minutes and you'll be impressed

surf for 10 more minutes and you'll begin to realize that all these random basement artists are making the SAME FUCKING MUSIC

more than that
>>
>>63820768
So because of the internet, people are able to download any music they want. So they choose to download stuff from the 20th century before checking out new music, so new music is having trouble competing with the music of the past because no one's listening to it? The solution is to make music that can actually compete with older music. I feel like artists nowadays aren't even trying to become the next big thing, not even aspiring for their name to be listed among the Beatles, Pink Floyd, David Bowie, etc. Music has to adapt to the modern age in order for it to thrive.
>>
>>63820975
new music is not having trouble competing with music of the past i never said this, each of your posts you've put words in my mouth and begun to argue with yourself so goodbye please lurk on this board until you learn how to read
>>
>>63821137
Please learn how to communicate clearly, because I can read yet I've struggled to comprehend a word of the gibberish you've been saying this entire time.
>>
>>63821178
thats because you're stupid
>>
>>63821704
Oh, ok. Not because English is your second language and you still have trouble communicating with a native English speaker.
>>
>>63821734
no, english is not my second language, as you have dictated in your post

did you mean to say that english is YOUR second language? because it is apparent

this is an example of your tenuous grasp of communication over the internet
>>
>>63821837
No, I speak perfect English. I genuinely got the impression you were not a native speaker of my language.
>>
>>63820152
Oh no, the eternal struggle is once again discovered by a deep and sensitive artist. Oh, why can't we all live forever and know all things? Why must we be forced to move on from things before we grind them to dust and expose things for what they mean and imply? Woe is me, this beautiful space monkey, floating through this endless void, yearning for purpose, because some fucking plebs want to listen to something else.

Fuck.
>>
>>63821919
music in this day in age is worth less then music from the past due to inflation/saturation, methods of making music have become easier for the common man to acheive, and the internet

therefore, the time and effort an artist puts into making an album today yields LESS worth than that same time and effort put into an album in the 1970's
>>
>>63822009
The only thing making music cheaper is the listener. Pop music is a reflection of the lowest common denominator. A catchy beat and an inoffensive singer spewing shit about positivity and/or love. Music sucks only because the people consuming it suck.
>>
>>63822075
good job, now go back and read the OP and you finally figured it out!
>>
>this one literal fedora who thinks he's a genius who's got the world all figured out and has to use big words to make that very clear

>>63820876
You're talking about shitty electro house though, dubstep is something completely different. Also let me guess, you're somewhat of a jazz man yourself, and an occasional fan of the great classical composers?
>>
>>63822163
I am confidently referring to dubstep
>>
>>63822126
What? So if an artist turns into a self-fellating fedora-lord, the music genre suddenly shifts to vaporwave? That's fucking stupid.
>>
>>63822214
okay now, be honest

did you read it?
what did it say?
>>
>>63822251
I'm not saying it isn't, friend.
>>
never was able to get into m83 before, but i've loved both of the songs off this album so far.
>>
>>63820341
>>
File: geese.jpg (20 KB, 220x242) Image search: [Google]
geese.jpg
20 KB, 220x242
>>63820337
>VAPORWAVE IS DEAD
>thanks for the laugh, you fucking faggot...
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.