[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/blues/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6
File: soul2soul300.jpg (45 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
soul2soul300.jpg
45 KB, 300x300
Jazz is for soulless neanderthals edition.

Why did they even bother putting any other instruments on this one? Just makes it harder for me to enjoy SRV's riffing.

Post favorite albums, artists, covers, stories, gear. Share, request, give constructed arguments.
>>
well this thread is off to a horrible start
>>
File: 12431412.jpg (827 KB, 1920x2044) Image search: [Google]
12431412.jpg
827 KB, 1920x2044
>>63804534
eh, you gotta try. sometimes theres a few people on /mu/ that actually know music and don't just spout memes.

blues is the most influential genre to modern music: rock, hip hop, edm all extend the use of pentatonic scales, groove-centric beats and introspective lyrics pioneered by the early blues greats. many of them being african american in the 30s-60s didn't quite get the credit they deserved even to today.

But it's never too late to celebrate them and spread the word. Pic related was stated by Janis Joplin as being a major influence for her wailing singing style after she first heard one of his records in the 60s. I'm sure /mu/ all know's Nirvana's unplugged cover of Where Did You Sleep Last Night.

Midnight Special, House of the Rising Sun, Mr. Hitler, Gallows Pole, Let It Shine On Me all great other tracks to check out.
>>
>I was too lazy to ever truly get good at an instrument so I call anything that's more technical than what I can comprehend "soulless"

Good thread
>>
File: django.jpg (446 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
django.jpg
446 KB, 1000x750
>>63805043
>I don't actually understand jazz or play music so I think it's more technical than it is
Jazz music peaked with pic related. They're just fiddling with scales that were passed down from musician to musician for generations. Yes a competent jazz musician has a mastery of many different modes and understands how to move between them which takes a great deal of practice. It does not necessarily mean that everything generated using that modal knowledge is pleasing to the ears or the soul.

All later jazz musicians did was copy the work of the early masters like Django and apply it to different instruments. Why do you think Coltrane was so depressed? He was a fraud and he knew it. It was very difficult for him to live with everyone thinking he was some creative genius, he just wanted to play his sax.
>>
>>63805245
Oh wow. This is embarrassing.

How about you pick a 32 bar jazz standard to solo over and post a recording. I'll do the same and we'll see who understands more about jazz.
>>
File: Muddy-Waters.jpg (26 KB, 948x532) Image search: [Google]
Muddy-Waters.jpg
26 KB, 948x532
>>63805305
>post yours first.

jazz takes knowledge. I'm not arguing against that. But Django beat the game. You listen to his work and you think:
>well fuck, either I
>a) don't play the guitar because I'll never be that good
>b) play a different way

people after him chose b. when brass music became very popular throughout the 40s the natural culminating result was to end up applying those results to the same music Django created. Coltrane is a saxophone legend, he was not a creative musical genius.

Blues is clearly simpler music. Penatonic scales only give you five notes, you only have twelve keys. The beauty of it is some artists were able to create music that was just as pleasing, or more, to the soul with the simpler toolset as the early jazz legends.
>>
>>63805493
Simplicity can be a beautiful thing but it can also be very limiting. Complexity doesn't automatically make for great music but it allows the possibility of greatness. Musical technique is just a tool for expressing emotion. The greater a musicians grasp of technique, the more easily he is able to express a complex range of emotions.
>>
Fuck yeah I love blues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-0UrhFAMb4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HAzhEEjMkY
>>
>>63805673
>posts rock and roll
>>
>>63805750
Rock N Roll is essentially just faster blues. If you like blues, you'd almost definitely like this.
>>
>>63805673
listening to the first one. solid. hendrix ripoff but hendrix is GOAT and this guy has talent.

why the fuck would even want to learn the guitar upside down tho

>>63805653
I guess this is where I disagree with jazzfags. I don't think humans really have that complex of a range of emotions, at some point it no longer represents anything human and just becomes noise and self-indulgence.
>>
>>63805901
Personal preference, he's a lefty and some people prefer it that way. Just string it upside down and you're all set. The top still has curvature in case you want to play sitting down.
>>
>>63805901
>I don't think humans really have that complex of a range of emotions
Try working on soloing over a jazz standard. Maybe you'll learn something about yourself.
>>
>>63804775
Great post. I love leadbelly.
>>
>>63805901
>I don't think humans really have that complex of a range of emotions

The human brain is literally the most complex object in the known universe.
>>
>>63806124
nothing really follows from that factoid though
>>
>>63806171
Except for the fact that human emotion is extremely complex, as in one of the most complex things in the universe. Anon this isn't up for debate, it's known fact.
>>
File: 1251251252.jpg (73 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
1251251252.jpg
73 KB, 650x650
>>63806089
I really do hope to get there one day. Right now I'm too blues obsessed though.

Why play that gypsy noise when you can swing, jive, and wail like a bird at dawn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua3s1W7XF-8
>>
>>63806209
the complexity of the brain is a different thing from the complexity of emotions as experience. the latter you can't really compare to any other thing in the universe because it is internal and of a different kind. the physical brain's complexity isn't the same thing, it's being overly literal with the definition, i guess.

i think it's the same for visual art too, the works that most successfully communicate something human aren't the most theoretically complex and experimental ones. and added complexity (of that kind) wouldn't necessarily improve them.

there is a kind of complexity in the experience that arises when you as a person encounter the work of art, ofc. simple musical ideas can express intricate emotions.

ugh, i don't really have the vocabulary for this conversation offhand, sorry.
>>
>>63806637
Anon you're trying to separate emotion from the brain and that doesn't make any sense. Emotion is a product of brain function.
>>
File: Stevie_Nicks_-_1977.jpg (21 KB, 220x315) Image search: [Google]
Stevie_Nicks_-_1977.jpg
21 KB, 220x315
>>63806637
going to have to agree with this anon >>63806637 , sorry >>63806739 .

>Emotion is a product of brain function
if it's a product then it it's separate. Can you not separate marshmallows from the factory they were created in?

My two cents: one time I get really high and entered a state of sleep paralysis. I saw my emotions in front of me just like colors on a canvas, but they were moving and interacting with one another. Some were more dominant than others. I suppose you could say theres an infinite amount then because the color wheel is infinite, but we're pretty good at distinguishing colors desu.

For BB King there's only two emotions: loss and sorrow. Such is the nature of Satan owning your soul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skJlyBVQmCQ&list=PLWCJOLJ9si2mfE2AYkO-T8xDBZDGwJsBM

Compare to Fleetwood Mac's creation 12 years later, it's good but damn does it sound familiar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHqSitlUrR8&index=1&list=PLHvuWGQWi_8OIM7OIH3wSvVOZg1ohcmsd
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.