[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Radiohead - Let Down
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1
File: dL2B3BK.jpg (319 KB, 1449x1425) Image search: [Google]
dL2B3BK.jpg
319 KB, 1449x1425
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z_NvVMUcG8

What did they mean by this song? I don't really understand the lyrics. It reminds me of the book The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka, of a man who turns into a insect. He is a huge burden and dies.

However in this song, he's "crushed like a bug in the ground." However then they talk about growing wings, a chemical reaction, etc.

So what is it about? I feel like its being crushed down by life and stress, but instead of just taking it and dying like a bug, realizing you'll get throw it, you'll "grow wings."

What do you guys think?
>>
>>63798721
"I'm depressed and life is crushing me"
>>
>>63798735
So kinda what I thought? What is being said with the whole:

"Let down and hanging around,
Crushed like a bug in the ground.
Let down and hanging around.

Let down,
Let down,
Let down.

You know, you know where you are with,
You know where you are with,
Floor collapsing, falling, bouncing back
And one day, I am gonna grow wings,
A chemical reaction, (You know where you are)
Hysterical and useless (You know where you are)
Hysterical and (You know where you are)

Let down and hanging around,
Crushed like a bug in the ground.
Let down and hanging around."
>>
>>63798751
He's in a state of crushing depression. He feels like the world is collapsing. Everyone's disappointing and alcoholic.

Stop exerting energy examining it. It's just a dreary pop song and the worst track off OK Computer.
>>
Probably the most uplifting song I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. Existential Thom is vocalizing an emotional metamorphasis manifested with the overwhelming feeling of freedom one experiences when they find themselves with nothing left to lose. 'Let Down' picks up where Kafka's 'Metamorphosis' protagonist, a grotesque man-turned-insect, is giving up hope in his life's worth and contemplating whether society would be better off if he were dead. The insect creature, in great despair, eventually decides to die alone in his room. 'Let Down' is so inspiring because Yorke doesn't give up hope; he has faith he will endure the insect stage and the crushing societal torment it brings; one day he is going to develop into a butterfly and be free. Existence precedes essence. Thom isn't looking for anyone's pity as it only ends up drivel. It's useless anyways because he has to do it for himself -- he must break through the artificial identity society has defined for him which he knows will inevitably crumble. He must develop his authentic identity from within so that he may have something of substance to bounce back up off of after his fake world breaks down. Only when his existence is authentic to himself can he have freedom. These are some of the fundamental concepts of existential philosophy.
>>
>>63798789
>the worst track off OK Computer.
you meant the second best.

The third verse of this song is my favorite moment on the whole record.

Also the guitar plays in 5/4 most of the song. Last time around it moves to 3/4. It's cool because of how you don't notice the complex time at all until it's pointed out to you. Masterful songwriting.
>>
>>63798822
>>63798789
This is probably my favorite Radiohead song sooooooooooooooooo
>>
>>63798789
Let Down is the best song on OK Computer.
>>
I feel like it's about the tedium of life, constantly doing the same things that are slowly killing you, but always having the optimism that one day you'll get out of the monotonous pattern of everyday life, but ultimately reverting back to a mindset of being trapped in the perpetual routine.

>>63798789

m8 it's a bloody great crescendo-core song. One of my favorites from OKC
>>
>>63798942
How the fuck is Let Down crescendocore?
>>
>>63798958
not him, but it's literally a giant crescendo. Each verse layers on more and more. Then a false end, and then a giant swell through verse 3 and up to the outro. That swell is what makes the 2nd half so chilling and emotional.
>>
>>63798958

>what is the build up to the final chorus
>>
>>63798971
>>63798976
You do realize that crescendos =/= crescendocore right?
>>
This thread is like a highschool english class
>>
>>63798996
a lot of threads on this board are like that
>>
Isn't it about disappointment? Like whatever you achieve no matter how epic and awesome it is you will feel empty in the end.
>>
>>63798988
explain the difference
>>
>>63799005
Yea...so how about you provide us with some quality oc fool
>>
>>63799065
Crescendocore is a microgenre of post-rock that takes heavy influence from GYBE and Mogwai. It emphasises repetitive and building crescendos the textures and timbres of other post-rock.

Obviously Let Down is anything but that
>>
>>63799097
>Obviously Let Down is anything but that
As someone who has listened to both of those bands, I don't understand the difference. Must the song not use a verse-chorus pop structure? If the song is one long crescendo, but it's not 10 minutes long, does it not qualify as crescendocore?
>>
>>63799111
>both bands
What?
Is Let Down post-rock?
No.
It doesn't even pass through the first barrier
That's why it's not crescendocore.
>>
>>63799124
why couldn't let down be post-rock? Explain what qualifier of one of the loosest defined genres in rock music that let down does not pass.
>>
>>63799134
Alright let's look at the three tenets that have basically defined any and every post-rock song so far.

Does it have an unusual song structure?
No. It's pretty standard for a pop song
Does it emphasize texture and timbre over riffs, melodies and power chords?
The whole thing is arpeggiated melodies. Not much texture to be found there.
Does it have any extended technique of any sort used, especially with the guitars?
Unless you consider polymeter to be extended technique (which would be a stupid thing to do) no, it lacks that too.

That's why it's not post-rock
>>
Guys I was just asking what the song meant.
>>
>>63799201

fuck off this is a discussion about the fundamentals of post-rock
>>
>>63799231
But it just ended
>>
>>63799231
Fuck off pussy, go to sleep and get ready to get up, you're working opening shift at Starbucks tomorrow.
>>
>>63799169
>No. It's pretty standard for a pop song
Sigur Ros has verses and choruses and is classed as post-rock.
>arpeggiated melodies
Not riffs or voice. The center of the song is on soft, layered arpeggios. The entire fucking song is texture.
>Unless you consider polymeter to be extended technique
Why the fuck wouldn't you?
>>
>>63799296
But Sigur Ros use a hell of a lot of extended technique and textural shit.
No it isn't you dense fuck. It's all arpeggios, standard chord progressions and Thom's vocals.
There is zero, yes, zero emphasis on either timbre or texture.
I dunno, because polymeter is a fucking compositional technique and not a playing technique?

You don't know jack shit about music do you?
>>
>>63799322
>There is zero, yes, zero emphasis on either timbre or texture.
This is objectively incorrect.
>compositional technique and not a playing technique
You said extended technique and didn't define it as being exclusively playing technique. Nice moving of the goalposts.
>>
>>63799374
Wow you fucking pulled the objectively card without reasoning why. Nice
Except, you know, extended technique refers exclusively to playing technique and not compositional technique.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_technique

Dense fuck
>>
>>63799394
>wikipedia
lol, silly post-rock nerd
>wikipedia didnt call it post rock so it's not post rock
>>
>>63799406
What? I never said I followed wikipedia's genre descriptions.

Oh wait this is just bait I'm falling for right
>>
>>63799394
avoid ad hominem pal
>>
>>63799394
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_technique#Guitar
>Jonny Greenwood
>>
>>63799488
I'd say a little bit at the very end of a major statement is good for drilling the point in.
If your entire argument is ad hominem then you have a problem
>>
>>63799124
now you're just shitposting. radiohead is literally electronic alternative post-rock
>>
>>63799499
He plays it with a cello bow Sigur Ros style. That's considered as extended technique if I'm not wrong.
But only in his solo orchestral works. He didn't even know about the technique during the OKC era, never mind employing it in Let Down
>>
>>63799501
>>63799521
Thanks for being reasonable and factual here
>>
>>63799515
You can stop trying now
>>63799528
I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not but I'll pretend it isn't and say "you're welcome"
>>
>>63799542
Not sarcastic, don't worry
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.