[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do i into The Ex?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: the ex.jpg (259 KB, 1051x1051) Image search: [Google]
the ex.jpg
259 KB, 1051x1051
i've only heard Catch My Shoe but im aware of their incredibly large and varied discography. I've downloaded Joggers & Smoggers as well as Scrabbling At The Lock to cover the bases, but i want one more that emphasizes the longer experimental rock tracks, the louder and noisier the better.

Double Order, Tree Float, Life Whining, and especially Bicycle Illusion were my favorite songs off Catch My Shoe. I need more dynamic/experimental guitar music.
>>
1991 - 2006 is their best period.

Turn has quite a few long tracks on it and is probably what you want. It's a double album too.

They just release a live album covering performances from 1991 to last year which is also very good and covers a lot of ground in their sound from free improv, to the noise rock stuff, to their Ex Orkest stuff which is essentially "experimental big band", to the stuff they did with Brass Unbound.

Honestly they're one of my favorite bands and I think all of their stuff is worth listening to but they started as an anarcho punk band without really that much of the experimentation that they had earlier.

Also keep in mind that Catch My Shoe is the first album with the new vocalist after the original one left a few years earlier.
>>
>>63795748
>without really that much of the experimentation that they had earlier
Rather "that they had later".

You should also check out a few of the members' solo stuff. Terrie and Andy have collaborations with other people, mostly being free improv, especially with Terrie, but Andy has some instrumental rock stuff too and also some Electroacoustic Improvisation stuff which is pretty cool. GW Sok also went on to sing on a few things after leaving the band too and some of them are worth listening to.

Cannibales & Vahinés - N.O.W.H.E.R.E. is similar noise rock I think and has Sok as the vocalist.
>>
>>63795748
Cool, thanks. i think i might listen to Turn next, or maybe Scrabbling at the Lock and eventually that live album too.
>>
Bump

Anyone else want to talk about the Ex or stuff related to them? I don't see them brought up very often.
>>
>>63796930
What's your favorite release by them? What do you think of the new vocalist on Catch My Shoe? I've heard people say they missed GW Sok but i thought the vocals were pretty good on CMS.
>>
Have you guys ever heard this band? I feel like fans of The Ex would be into it; they're really eclectic experimental rock/psychedelic garage rock from Poland. It's mostly instrumental so don't let the vocals put you off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLTcm6Yg638
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/scianka/statek_kosmiczny/
>>
>>63797164
Turn is great, and I also really like Dizzy Spells. Those are probably my two favorite albums by them.

Arnold de Boer is pretty good I think. His voice is less monotone than Sok's I think and he plays an instrument too so they can feel better doing instrumental stuff I imagine. Sok seemed like he was left out a lot during live shows during extended instrumentals. Took me a bit to get used to the new vocalist though but I think ultimately he's a better fit for the band now than Sok is and I love how they didn't miss a beat at all and just continue releasing great shit, and de Boer doesn't seem to stick out at all as not fitting in with the band.

The way he moves live is kind of cringy at points I think though but whatever works for him I guess.

Wish they'd release a new studio album since they have a lot of songs they've been playing live that aren't on an album yet.

>>63797244
Was just looking for something to listen to. Thanks for the recommendation. If you haven't yet too you should listen to Dog Faced Hermans. The Ex toured with them a bit and Andy Moore actually jumped ship from that band when they broke up to join the Ex.
>>
File: folder.jpg (173 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
173 KB, 600x600
I've only listened to a few of their albums, Disturbing Domestic Peace is great, definitely a must listen for fans of Wire, Crass, The Fall and other shouty art punk
>>
>>63797425
Which ones have you listened to? Because Disturbing Domestic Peace is very different than their later stuff. If you've only listened to their first few albums you're in for a (hopefully pleasant) surprise when you listen to the rest.

That's one of the my favorite album covers though.
>>
just smoked a joint and about to marathon Turn for the first time.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.