[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/BLINDFOLD TEST/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6
April Fool's Edition

Welcome to the weekly /mu/ jazz Blindfold Test thread. Every Friday and Saturday.

If you're new, the point of these threads is to have fun and encourage critical listening, discussion, and general enjoyment of jazz. All critical music listeners are welcome. The more participation we have, the more fun and successful these threads will be. In the interest of keeping the thread alive and bumped, any general jazz discussion is welcomed here as well.

For more information about how the threads work and listening suggestions, please refer to the pastebin: http://pastebin.com/ZaFe6HUA

THIS WEEK'S THEME: Bossa Nova
COMPILED BY: Meditation

NEXT WEEK: Wildcard
COMPILED BY: Clueless

If you missed last week's thread, DON'T WORRY. It's not too late. Here are the links for the mystery tracklist. Download the tracks, record your thoughts/guesses/evaluations for each one, and then come back and post them in the thread. Remember, people will be posting guesses and thoughts in this thread so don't read the thread until you have listened to the music and collected your thoughts in order to avoid spoilers. Track info for this week's tracks will be posted on Saturday, so if you see the thread is close to dying before then, give it a bump.

http://www97.zippyshare.com/v/6UpE2bAH/file.html
>>
Greetings
>>
>>63730936
Hey Beulah.

I guess we'll just have to guess who's who today unless people want to sign their posts with their normal posting names.
>>
1. Well I think bossa nova has a reputation as being elevator music and that’s what this sounds like to me. Yeah on this one nothing really stood out to me and I thought it was kind of boring. 1.5 stars.
2. This one sounds a little less like elevator music but it has a pretty cheesy and outdated sound too. 2 stars.
3. This one I think has to be from the Getz Gilberto album which is one of the few bossa nova albums I’ve heard. I do like Getz’s playing here. It’s very melodic and simple. 3 stars.
4. I think this might be Stan Getz again. This tune wasn’t very interesting but once again the sax solo is pretty decent. Very melodic. 3 stars.
5. This one is actually kind of catchy. It sounds like a bass clarinet in there too? Yeah I kind of like the cool melody and rhythm of this one but it’s coming close to that elevator music sound too. 3 stars.
>>
>>63730993
6. Back to the elevator sound. The guitar solo in the middle of this one is kind of cool though. I like the idea of using chords with rhythms like that rather than playing melodically. 2.5 stars.
7. This singing has kind of a cheesy quality to it like from a movie or something. I don’t have anything interesting to say about it. 1 star.
8. This one almost ends up sounding like trip hop or something. Maybe it’s a little bit more modern in that way. To me it doesn’t really seem like jazz or bossa nova but I actually kind of like it anyway. 3 stars.
9. This one has kind of a classical sound to it with the strings and all the horns together. It gives it a more interesting sound than just elevator music. I also like the interesting rhythms that the piano and flute do together. This one might actually be one of my favorites for the week. 3.5 stars.
10. I recognize this one too as The Girl from Ipanema. It’s also from that Stan Getz album. This one is kind of the definition of elevator music but it’s still catchy anyway. And pretty nice sax playing too. 3 stars.
>>
>>63731015
So as you can probably see, Bossa Nova week was not my favorite. I have a bias that Bossa Nova sounds like elevator music and these tracks didn't really help to change that perception very much.

I think that's good though. What's the point of critical listening if you like everything you listen to?
>>
Do the names not work at all?
Fucking Chinese moot.
Anyway, soz for not posting last week. I was without internet all Easter weekend but things have been pretty crazy in college, we're finishing lectures in like a week so there are so many assignments due...
>Track one
Well the obvious criticism I’m sure people will mention about this one is that it’s quite flat dynamically and the players are too restrained. Not to say they are bad, though that repetitive head turned me off the flute player a little. I think the pianist was the best thing about this. He was also pretty damn restrained but I liked his sense of rhythm. Some cool fermatas and generally good quality syncopating. Playing like his is what separates tracks like this from smooth jazz in my mind.

>Track two
Cool arranging on this one. I’d say the lead singer here is probably at least moderately successful to have gotten this sort of arrangement but I know fuck all about bossa so I doubt I’ll be doing much identifying of players this week. He sounds a little like a Brazilian Sinatra, or at least there are echos of him in his phrasing and tone are similar.
It was pretty nice as a pop track, that little vocal ensemble sounded good and the chord progression was cool. The pianist was providing some pretty creative accompaniment but for the most part the track didn’t sound improvised. Which kind of calls into question whether you can still call this sort of a track jazz. There’s syncopation, blue notes, appropriate instrumentation, etc. but is that enough? Where do people usually draw the line before something with jazz elements isn’t jazz anymore? I tend to imagine this stuff as more a continuum which kind of puts this track in an odd place where it’s sort of jazz but in my head I'm not imagining it as such.

- Satch
>>
>>63731206
>we're finishing lectures in like a week so there are so many assignments due...

That sucks. Will you be freer once the semester is over?
>>
>>63731206
>Track three
Didn’t expect anything from this classic on here. This is Doralice (pitch shifted) from Getz/Gilberto. Getz' style and palette is similar to the likes of Lester Young and Coleman Hawkins. He’s got a wonderfully breathy timbre and a very lyrical approach to improvising. Gilberto and he sound fantastic together and João has a wonderful voice for this sort of cool arrangement. He sings the lines very straight without much playing around with vibrato or intonation but it just sounds perfect cause he’s got such a gentle delivery and tone to his voice.
It’s pretty impressive how consistent he is through, what doesn’t sound like an easy song to sing aswell. It’s quite wordy, and maybe it’s just my Anglican ears but the actual syllables sound like they’d be hard to wrap around the quite complex melody. I don’t speak Spanish/Portuguese so it’s hard to tell but it sounds like his diction is spotless too, or at least, there’s a hell of a lot going on with this phonetically and he just glides though the lines anyway.

>Track four
I liked this sax player. He’s just so clean sounding. No slips and the whole way through his solo, he articulates the notes really clearly, no swallowing notes in the middle of phrases or over-technical ideas where they aren’t needed. He actually reminds me a little of Getz but he’d hardly be on two tracks in a row would he?
It’s cool hearing an acoustic guitar on a jazz solo. Electric is far more common but I think acoustic sounds lovely. My band thinking of bringing on another guitarist to do acoustic and this is the sort of playing I have envisioned for the guy in my head.

-satch
>>
>>63731317
>He actually reminds me a little of Getz but he’d hardly be on two tracks in a row would he?
I thought it was him again but I could be wrong.
>>
>>63731289
I'll have three weeks off to study and then exams in May. I've done so little work though. I'm probably gonna spend the first two weeks smoking weed and then go into panic stations for the third week when it sinks in that I need to cover a year's worth of material. I'll be around after exams though!

>Track five
Is this João Gilberto again? Maybe that was Getz on track four… This reminds me a little of a studio Ghibli soundtrack for some reason. It’s very carefree sounding but I think I may have actually heard a studio Ghibli track with this chord progression at a similar tempo. Not sure though. I suppose it’s not worth repeating the reasons I love this guy’s voice, I’ll probably actually check out whatever album this is off cause I hadn’t realized how enjoyable João is to listen to before this blindfold.
I don’t have much to say about it in particular but I was thinking about it during Doralice too but he’s a pretty solid guitarist and a damn good multitasker. As someone who sings and plays guitar a little, it takes practice to be able to have such excellent sounding independent lines.

>track six
This guitarist is class. He clearly knows his stuff with regard to building inversions on the guitar and goes through some really nice voice leading with chordal playing in his solo and holds the track together when accompanying.
The singer reminds me of the singer from Girl from Ipanema with a little less Chet Baker in the mix. I may just be grafting the only Bossa album I actually know onto all these tracks. Not a healthy practice but very illustrative of how little I've listened to Bossa.

>Track Seven
I thought I recognised this one. Took me a while but I figure I was hearing “Be my Life’s Companion” over it, the chord progression is kinda similar.
I like how the arrangement builds very smoothly over the track. I think I would have mixed the strings higher and the voice a bit lower though.
-satch
>>
>>63731356
He's a lovely player whoever he is. One of the tracks I think I'd be more inclined to look into.

>Track Eight
Kinda feeling pretty indifferent about this one. There’s some delay effects and stuff in the vibes and sax which I didn’t really care for but it’s not offensive. Just kinda bland.

>Track nine
This isn’t a bad arrangement. The light strings in the background are a nice touch but the flutes are on the wrong end of cheesy for me. They make the track feel like "on hold music".
I liked when the piano got around to actually soloing in the latter half of the track, the phrasing got a bit more jazzy and it didn’t feel as stilted as the rest of the piece which was pretty tightly composed. The vibe I’m getting off it is like when you have non-jazz musicians interpreting “jazz music”. It just doesn’t really sound right.

>Track 10 (my fave of the bunch)
Didn’t expect this here! Welp, I’ve already mentioned what I think about Gilberto, the female singer and Getz but this is my favourite track on the album. Getz’ solo in particular is brilliant. He solos a bit like how Louis Armstrong would in his later years: he sticks quite close to the melody with some variations but plays it like he’d sing it.
Getz’s solo under the female vocal for the coda is my solo of the week. It’s melodically inventive, the counterpoint works very well under the vocals and it’s done intermittently with Getz picking up the ends of phrases from the vocal in a pretty Armstrongesque fashion too. Keeps the two lines feeling quite intimately related.

-Satch
>>
>>63731459
Well it's good to have you back this week. If you get a break in studying you should put together a tracklist. I think it's been a while since you did one. And Bossa was not my favorite!
>>
>Overall impressions
I mentioned it in one of the posts up there but it was something that was on my mind through a lot of the tracks: Bossa Nova is more like Brazilian pop music than it is jazz.

Which, isn't to say I didn't like a lot of the tracks that weren't very jazz-like but if this is a good sample of how the rest of the sub-genre sounds, I'm not sure I'd even call it a jazz subgenre. They're certainly related and there's no arguing that people like Stan Getz aren't jazz musicians but, for those of you more familiar with this music, do you think that's statement to make?

>>63731548
There's a bunch of tracks I have in mind to put on some future blindfold but I haven't a theme in mind to get them on there. I am thinking about it though and probably will get one together in the next few weeks.
-Satch
>>
>>63731865
>Bossa Nova is more like Brazilian pop music than it is jazz.
agreed
>>
Posting mine early today because I've got more lessons than usual this afternoon.

>Track 1
Well this is Agua de Beber, a great AC Jobim tune. This is Jobim’s version with him on the piano and I’d guess it’s one of the Claus Ogerman arrangements. It’s very nice and chilled out and I like how the melody passes between the three lead instruments with the other two often switching to countermelodies.

>Track 2
This reminds me a little bit of Sergio Mendes but I’m pretty sure it’s not once the lead singer comes in. I’m not sure of the tune or who that lead singer is. Those Brazilians do write nice melodies. I especially like the “shout chorus” the combination of flute, cello, and piano is nice. At the beginning I wasn’t expecting to like this one as much as I did.

>Track 3
This one’s unmistakable. Doralice from the Getz/Gilberto record. One thing I like about bossa nova is the minimalism. I haven’t really been as interested in Brazilian music ever since I started playing Afro-Cuban music because I think A-C music is much more rhythmically interesting but the two do have a lot in common in some ways where the instruments each have a set role that they mostly stick to and the roles are pattern based. So you notice even the slightest variations in these patterns. The focus is on laying down a groove that feels good rather than playing imaginatively. Different than jazz in a lot of ways but still good music.

>Track 4
It’s Stan Getz again right? Oh definitely. He’s doing even more vibrato here than normal though. I don’t think I know this tune. Oh interesting, there are two bassists. I was wondering about that when I could still hear the bassline going when the bass solo started. They’re trading. This was good but really pretty similar to the last track without vocals.

-jtg
>>
>>63732116
>Track 5
O Pato. The duck. This is Joao Gilberto singing and it sounds like another Claus Ogerman arrangement. I like the bass clarinet. A nice quick one.

>Track 6
I’m not sure I know this tune. Is it Astrud on vocals? I can’t tell. It doesn’t really sound like her but I think she recorded quite a bit of stuff later that I don’t know about. Well, what to say about this one? It’s a decent bossa. Vocalist sounded a bit out of breath.

>Track 7
It’s Otra Vez, I’m not sure who this singer is. The singing is a bit odd here. It doesn’t sound very “Brazilian”. Actually it sounds like an Italian singer singing in Portuguese or something. Not my favorite.

>Track 8
At first I thought this was a track from “Wave” that starts out very similar. It’s obviously not though. I like the very slow tempo. I don’t know the song. Sounds like something a bit more modern with the way the saxophone has a ton of reverb on it. This one actually I’m not sure if I’d call it Bossa Nova. Not my favorite track but not bad.

>Track 9
I like this type of orchestration. This track is Tide from the Jobim album. This album is not as good as Wave but it’s still very good. It’s been a while since I’ve listened to the whole album but I think this track is one of the best.

>Track 10
And this one is of course Garota de Ipanema. A classic. Maybe my favorite part about this track is the light little piano melodies thrown into the background. One of my old teachers used to say that Jobim was one of the “tastiest” piano players. He doesn’t play a lot but he makes it count.

-jtg
>>
>>63732142
Hey jtg, did you ever get around to listening to that Micheal Formanek record? I got it like a week ago and I'm already pretty happy to say it's my AOTYSF.

-Satch
>>
>>63731317
>>63731356
I'm pretty sure it's Getz again
>>
>>63731865
>>63731985
>Bossa Nova is more like Brazilian pop music than it is jazz.
To some extent yeah... obviously some bossa nova has more jazz influence and content than others. A lot of it is really kind of fusion- of the traditional samba style with jazz. Jobim was a big fan of jazz (big band in particular supposedly) and that comes across in a lot of his music.
>>
>>63732285
Yeah it's pretty easily the best jazz album I've heard yet this year. There are some upcoming albums that I'm looking forward to quite a bit though. I just heard Dan Weiss's new album last week and it was really disappointing unfortunately.
>>
>>63732304
It just seems like a strange choice to put two Getz tracks right in a row
>>
>>63733019
APRIL FOOLS!??
>>
>>63733019
yeah, who is meditation anyway? I don't remember anyone posting with that name in the threads
>>
>>63733416
He only posted in one thread a couple weeks ago
>>
>>63733372
>>63733416
If this was really an April Fools, the playlist would be entirely covers of Caravan and would close on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLOlMnNVkwA&ab_channel=koast1
>>
>>63734536
lol
>>
I hardly know any bossa nova so without much to compare it to I'm going to struggle to say anything at all about some of these.

>Track 1
Lovely instrumentation here, the flute and trombone melodies complement each other well, and the way the piano decorates odd phrases here and there is dreamy. There's not an awful lot to say about it, since they each stick pretty closely to the very simple melody, but it was nice anyway.

>Track 2
This is a very poppy piece, but the opening melody by the male singer is really wistful. There's some nice touches added to it by the female chorus too. After that it goes a bit too far into the realms of sentimentality for me. The track didn't hold my interest - the instrumental sections are pretty boring, and I would have liked to have heard more of the male voice at the start. I might just have been okay with it if it was a little bit shorter.

>Track 3
Well here's the one track I'll recognise today - Doralice from Getz/Gilberto. Weird though, it sounds pitch shifted up from my version, despite obviously being the same recording. I wonder which is right... This is a fantastic piece - Gilberto's voice and Getz's sax are so perfectly matched to carry the mood together - it's impossible to imagine any other saxophonist's tone fitting so well with the guitar here - and the melody on this one is probably my favourite on the album. Although I don't speak Portuguese, Gilberto always sings like he's trying to hypnotize me into sleeping with him, and it's working. Both halves of Getz's solo (the part that sticks close to the melody and the part that stretches off) are perfect. I can't say much about this album in general without gushing...

-clueless
>>
>Track 4
I like the way the guitarist voices these chords at the start. Is this Getz again? If not it's someone trying to imitate him? This piece sounds more like a jazz piece that happens to use bossa nova instrumentation and rhythms than the previous tracks, which had more poppy structures and melodies. I like all the solos, and there's some nice interplay between the guitar and sax during that first solo. Guitarist knows when to add little melodic touches. I just realised there's two bassists - that's odd. The bass which solos first is my favourite, he gets some nice reverberation out of his instrument the way Ron Carter often does. There's what sounds like some dual soloing with the sax and guitar towards the end, they complement each other really well there.

I really liked this track - the rest of the playlist is going to have trouble beating this as my favourite.

>Track 5
There's something about this one that makes it sounds like some sort of electronic remix, but I'm not sure it if it is or not. Obviously Gilberto again, anyway. I have that one album he did with Wendy Carlos that has a sort of electronic music feel to it - maybe they did another together? Not much to say as it's so short but it was cool.

>Track 6
Don't know what to say about this one either. It's a nice little arrangement with a cool chordy guitar solo, and her voice was pleasant.

>Track 7
Or this. I feel like maybe the lyrics are more important in some of these than they are in most jazz, and since I still don't know any Portuguese... I like the wavery thing she does with her voice part way through this though.
>>
>>63736087
>Track 8
This one sounds almost psychedelic. Not just the airy flutey mysticism about it, some of the cross rhythms between the vocals and guitars/drums. I like the different ranges of sound in this one, especially some of the electronic sounding effects - presumably borrowed from trip-hop. But aside from the interesting production, nothing makes this track stand out. It's way too static, and I'm bored long before the end.

>Track 9
Sounds like this will be the densest track yet in terms of orchestration. Shame it's mixed so poorly - all the instruments sitting on top of each other and not flowing neatly. I listened through Black Saint the other day and the way this clunks from one instrument to the next is pretty much the opposite of that. I guess the arrangement is partly to blame too, but I'm sure it could have been pulled off better. The only instrument to get much room to show off was the piano, and whilst there were some nice touches to some of the chords, it was nowhere near good enough to salvage such a flawed piece.

>Track 10
Oh, another G/G. Pitch shifted again? Of all the songs I end up singing in the shower, this is one I keep coming back to most often. The lyrics are beatiful too, way more touching than some of the heartless sentimental shit that was apparently acceptable for old musicals - I guess that maybe supports my earlier point about lyrics being more important. Getz's playing on the "oh but he watches so sadly" section of his solo is haunting.
>>
>>63736110
So in conclusion, not my favourite week - more variety would have been appreciated, and I share Satch's apprehension about the jazz credentials of some of these tracks - but track four more than made up for it and I'll take any opportunity to listen to Getz/Gilberto.

The experience has definitely inspired me to chase up more bossa nova, even though it hasn't offered many leads.

>>63733416
Do we actually know if he's coming back? Did he leave the answers with anyone?
>>
>>63736110
Glad you could make it today. We'll be doing your wildcard playlist for next week.
>>
>>63736830
>Do we actually know if he's coming back?
no idea. Maybe I will email him to let him know.
>Did he leave the answers with anyone?
I think he sent all the track names at least.
>>
bump

As usual if the thread dies today I'll just start a new one tomorrow
>>
Jesus god, where is the reply button on this new stylish layout! Here are my first impressions from a listen earlier today.

>Track 1

Alright, I can hear Astrud Gilberto singing this in my head, I think is something that's also on The Astrud Gilberto Album. Agua de Beber, I think is the tune.

Pretty similar sound to the US Astrud/Jobim recordings, so is this a Jobim recording then?

Bossa Nova is probably my favorite type of "easy listening" music - some of it is too loungey, but I find a lot of this type of music very enjoyable to listen to. There's nothing really special about this track, but I like it.

>Track 2

Hmm. This tune seems familiar as well. Oh it's Chega de Saudade of course.

Joao Gilberto's album by the same name is often credited of as the first bossa nova album and essential out for anyone interested in bossa. I don't think this is Gilberto, though, but I suspect we'll probably get some of him later this week...

Pretty similar to track 1 in that there's nothing that really stands out here in the playing or singing - that's not to say that playing bossa well does not take musical skill since it does, but there's less to comment here than would be in some soloing oriented jazz.

I think I prefer the Gilberto version as the lone male voice has a nice melancholy quality that I think is kind of lost with that female choir, but this is OK.

>Track 3

The sax immediately signals that we might have an obligatory Stan Getz bossa track in our hands.

This is from the Getz/Gilberto album, isn't it?

It's pleasant, alright. The soft sax fits well in the bossa context, no wonder this style became a hit, although I think that Getz' bossa stuff overshadows his other music too much.
>>
>>63738305
hmh. does my name really just completely disappear now in posts without a trip - Jazzpossu here

>Track 5

This is nice and playful.

Surprising instruments, based on the start I wasn't expecting a string section and is that a bass clarinet?

I like how this feels intimate while featuring a wide variety of sounds. Very cool track for being just 2 minutes, I think.

>Track 6

I'm not too familiar with many female bossa vocalists. I don't think this is Astrud Gilberto, so maybe Elis Regina - she generally has a stronger voice with more vibrato than Astrud, so maybe.

Compositions and memorable melodies are pretty important in bossa since it's so low key by nature - this one doesn't really do it for me in that sense.

>Track 7

Well this is maybe more likely to be Elis Regina than the one before, but I'm basically just throwing out the only possible name I'm familiar with here.

Here in Finland a lot of foreign hit songs were translated to Finnish for the local singers, this has a nice old time feel that reminds of that music - more of a 50's popular music feel.
>>
>>63738336
Final Jazzpossu comments, can't parse and fix this 4chan update right now

>Track 8

This seems like something fairly recent compared to the others so far.

I'm not sure I like how this is just dripping with an exotic feel - doesn't feel honest, you know.

Is this from early this century? Bossa influences were pretty popular in nu/club jazz at that time. Those electronic beats and effects are not really doing this track any favors.

>Track 9

This appears to be a version of some bossa track I'm familiar with, although some liberties are taken with the melody here. I'm not sure it's an improvement, but there's been fairly little improvisation and reinterpretation this week for a jazz thread, so it's welcome.

It's really bugging me that I can't think of the name of this tune, there's a version on one of the US Jobim albums, I'm pretty sure.

Claus Ogerman did a lot of the arrangements, so I'll just fish for extra points by randomly guessing he is involved in this evolution as well.

>Track 10

Oh, the obligatory bossa track actually makes an appearance. The Girl from Ipanema with Joao and Astrud Gilberto on vocals and Getz on sax.

The /blindfold/s often avoid the most obvious choices, but no reason why the most iconic ones couldn't make an appearance now and again.

The Girl From Ipanema is one of those tracks that's so iconic that everyone knows them and most serious jazz musicians don't bother playing it so there are way less recordings of it than one might expect. Archie Shepp did an interesting version on Fire Music.

What can I say, this is a classic track.
>>
>>63732116

Good comment in the particular nature of bossa, I'm just an amateur musician myself, but I've always felt like bossa is deceptively simple and it's always nice to see acknowledgement that it's a rich style to play even though it appears deceptively simple.
>>
>>63738442
>>
>>63738359
>Archie Shepp did an interesting version on Fire Music.
That sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out.
>>
Jesus fuck, what is going on with 4chan today - name field appears to be completely ignored and same posts from same IP are just labeled with another name.

These were Jazzpossu:
>>63738305
>>63738336
>>63738359

Regards:
Jazzpossu
>>
>>63738500
definitely my favorite jazz subversion of a bossa classic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HzUvcJFFLI

- JP
>>
>>63738523
April Fool's day in America

I'm guessing (hoping) it will be done by tomorrow
>>
Overall comments:

Yeah, this selection was too strong on the classics and Getz was on sax more than anyone should be in one /blindfold/ if I wasn't completely bamboozled, although on the other hand I do support putting the obvious classics sometimes on these lists.

That said, I thoroughly enjoy the canonical bossa material, so in general this was a pleasant listen and for me I'm interested in learning about the ones I was unfamiliar with.

- JP
>>
>>63738500
I'll try it out maybe
>>
>>63732116
What are the musical differences between Brazilian jazz and Afro-Cuban jazz? I realize that they come from different places but I hear it all as just Latin jazz.
>>
File: orquesta_bossa.jpg (9 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
orquesta_bossa.jpg
9 KB, 200x200
>>63738570
ah, yes

here's a tasty local recent bossa morsel for the thread as a bump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VUVxVcopQc

this is Finnish trumpeter Jukka Eskola who rose into prominence during the nu jazz period in the seminal Finnish outfit of the time - Five Corners Quartet

a few years ago, he put together a larger ensemble featuring a string quartet to play "nordic bossa" combining samba rhythms with a northern european sensibility of melody - here's that band playing their take on Milton Nascimento's From A Hot Afternoon, first recorded by Paul Desmond

I certainly recommend the Jukka Eskola Orquesta Bossa for anyone looking into melody driven modern takes on bossa rhythms
>>
>>63738838
as far as I've heard Brazilian jazz specifically builds on samba rhythms, like the canonical bossa rhythm and latin jazz is a wider nomenclature

jtg professionally plays latin jazz I believe, so I'm sure he will chime in with good input

I was definitely personally thinking about what makes bossa bossa before listening to this weeks list with tracks like this in mind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5ALPzS0QfQ

- JP
>>
File: milton.jpg (76 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
milton.jpg
76 KB, 600x600
Here's a good character in bossa to look into that may have not featured here on this list as a quick bump: Milton Banana on drums, The Rhythm and Sound of Bossa Nova is pretty breat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr4UC0atLCs
>>
>>63739220
pretty nice
>>
>>63738838
The main difference is in the clave. Brazilian and Cuban claves are different. A lot of the time in Brazilian music you can hear the drummer clicking the clave on the rim of the snare.

Cuban music is also usually more syncopated, with the bassline playing a tumbao where they play on count 4 and the and of 2. In bossa the bass will usually land on one and 3.
>>
Bump for posterity
>>
sorry i didn't post earlier but here is the the track listing. oh and by the way i'm a female so yeah, she would be more appropriate
Track one was Agua De Beber by Antonio Carlos Jobim from the album "The Composer of Desafinado Plays" which was released in 1963. "The Composer of Desafinado Plays" was one of Jobim's debut albums.
>>
File: download.jpg (5 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5 KB, 160x160
Track 2 is the 1987 version of Chega de Saudade by Jobim once again off the album "Chega de Saudade" released in 1959. I think this was his first album and the first bossa nova album although i'd need someone to confirm this.
>>
Track 3 is "Doralice" with Stan Getz (saxophone) and Joao Gilberto (guitar) from the 1964 Getz/Gilberto album which is quite well-known.
>>
>>63743052
Oh usually we wait until Saturday to post the reveal but that's ok since I'm pretty busy tonight and there's all this April fools shit anyway
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.