[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can I get into classical music? I'm a complete pleb
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (85 KB, 640x912) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85 KB, 640x912
How can I get into classical music? I'm a complete pleb about it and want to take some first steps. Give me some advice, /mu/.
>>
I see most people recommend Gustav Holst - The Planets.
More specifically the performance by Berliner Philharmoniker / Herbert von Karajan (on Spotify if you have it)
then maybe the more well known composers - Bach, Mozart, Beethoven. Just find the style you enjoy then visit /classical/ whenever it's up. (they know far more than me)
One of the only half decent generals still going on this board. Also there are a few good lists on Rate your Music for classical, especially getting into it.

Hope this helped.
>>
I would not recommend looking for particular RECORDED music. Find your local philharmony and go there for some event. Classical music is much, much better live, in fact I cannot listen to recorded performances.
>>
File: Essential Bach.png (911 KB, 1811x1706) Image search: [Google]
Essential Bach.png
911 KB, 1811x1706
>easy way
Listen to youtube videos, live or recordings
Read about composers on wikipedia
Lurk /classical/ threads, or hell even start /classical/ threads if none are up

>Slightly more effort
Get some books on classical music, read them. Read biographies of famous composers, or composers you're interested in
>Go to performances in your area. Look out for posters, find local symphonies and string quartets, follow them on facebook to stay in the loop about performances
>Listen to classical radio, especially channels that offer biographical info on composers, and inform you to local concerts going on.

>Quite a bit more work
take a music history paper at university / college. take a whole music degree while you're at it. You'll learn a shit ton about every aspect of music.

If you dont want to do any of that, just listen to some Bach
>>
File: 1458546354176.jpg (73 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1458546354176.jpg
73 KB, 1280x720
Obviously the answer is the piano as it is the best instrument. More specifically solo piano works moving to other chamber works and then orchestra pieces and opera. Reading up on specific pieces and composers or performers if information is available can also help. It's as simple as finding what you like and listening.
>>
>>63725028
>anyone but Casals or Queyras in the cello suites
>Gilbert instead of Richter or Feinberg
>Herreweghe instead of Suzuki
>chamber performance of a chamber work instead of Koroliov or Nikolayeva
>not Harnoncourt's Matthew Passion
>Schiff at all
Shit chart.
>>
>>63725330
>chamber performance of a chamber work
*chamber performance of a keyboard work
>>
>>63725032
Explosion a best
>>
>>63725330
feel free to make a better one
>>
>>63725330
why dont people like Schiff?
>>
>>63725330
>Koroliov or Nikolayeva
>modern piano performance of a baroque organ work
>>
>>63725404
https://rbt.asia/mu/thread/S55494009#p55519317
>>
>>63725449
>trusting SDF
>his "case in point" is 40 minute WTC extract. From 1985
>Clearly doesn't know what he's talking about
>SDF goes on to get BFTO in the rest of the thread
>"We dont need SDF, we need Schiff defense force"

kek. great example m8. I see now its just a few stagnant individuals who dont like schiff.
>>
>>63725535
>SDF goes on to get BFTO in the rest of the thread
That doesn't seem to happen if you read the thread
https://rbt.asia/mu/thread/S55494009#p55520940
>Clearly doesn't know what he's talking about
Poly you're projecting.
>>
>>63724789
Just listen to a few oldfags noodling on a piano and you're already a "patrician". Lel
>>
>>63725546
saying "Schiff's Bach is why he's disliked" seems to be completely wrong.

"Schiff is one of the most renowned interpreters of Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert and Schumann. In the 21st century, he has renounced the use of the sustain pedal when playing Bach"

He's considered an authority on Bach keyboard works. He gives masterclasses on them iirc.

I'd like to see some real criticism instead of "his forte is too bangy" or "poor legato" which simply isn't the case. Even without sustain pedal he makes notes seamlessly blend into each other.
>>
>>63725546
Taxes also argues well enough against your non-arguments in the same thread.
Poly it's embarrassing you try so hard to seem intellectual and fail on such a constant basis,
>>
>>63725610
>pointing out his inability to play Bach's music
>not real criticism
It's like you didn't read anything he said.
>>
>>63725610
>Schiff is one of the most renowned interpreters of Bach
KEK

>>63724789
classical music doesn't mean nothing. Many person here suggest you Bach. In my opinion Bach is not the best very first choice. His music required some very high hearing skill. Is a sort of music for musician...

Then what you prefer? Synphonic music, chamber music, soloist?

Beethoven, Bartok, Sibelius, Strauss (Richard), Chopin, Debussy...i thinnk this can provide to you some solid ground....
>>
>>63725404
beacuse is an overrated average piano guy...
>>
Just become a legit music theorist.
Also, start small, listen to some rondo forms so you can keep up with what they're doing.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.