[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
can someone explain his significance to me? i've started
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: fza.jpg (281 KB, 854x1200) Image search: [Google]
fza.jpg
281 KB, 854x1200
can someone explain his significance to me?
i've started listening to his stuff recently and i'm definitely enjoying it, but besides the immense discography and self-awareness i feel like i'm missing something
>>
File: wiggle.jpg (37 KB, 400x393) Image search: [Google]
wiggle.jpg
37 KB, 400x393
>>
>>63648853
Frontrunner of jazz fusion, talented guitarist, fantastic composer, burned through several genres of music throughout his career, made one of the most significant rock albums of 1966 and one of the most significant social commentaries of 1967, spoke out for his beliefs thereby gaining the attention of the libertarian party which resulted in them asking him to be their nominee for president, made movies, wrote stage productions for Broadway, worked with esteemed modern classical composers like Pierre Boulez, etcetcetc

the dude was fucking everywhere and did so much in so little time, and not just in music. he's one of the most prolific songwriter in rock history and few if any artists ever worked as hard as him.
>>
He makes weird music for normal people and normal music for weird people.
>>
He bridged rock, classical, and jazz in a unique and innovative way. He was possibly the first experimental rock artist. A lot of the stuff he did in his early days acted as a precursor to many cutting edge experimental bands, and those bands were also very influential. He is so impressive, its overwhelming. He was a literal genius that made innovative music that no one else could have made.
>>
>>63650020
>>63650132
thanks mates, i'm sure it'll give me some context and further appreciation when listening to his music
>>
Zappa made some great songs, but just as important is what he did FOR music and freedom of speech, not to mention freedom of an artist's creativity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ5W897em5Y

He was essential in the fight to stop corporations from fucking over their musicians
>>
>>63650020
Pretty much this but also keep in mind the times. He was a well spoken, well dressed man who deplored drug use (outside the goatee/ long hair); at the same time, he stood against censorship and made albums far outside the mainstream and advocated unrestrained creativity.
>>
>>63650518
Whoops that link isn't really relevant but 2bh I'm a little drunk so bear with me, I thought that link was the interview where he was debating against some Christian Concerned Mother For Children re: his explicit lyrics or something

One of these should be more related to whatever the fuck I was talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ISil7IHzxc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxB-ZePpS7E
>>
Literally the most gifted composer of the 20th century. "Gifted" being the operative word.

Frank is THE Rock genius of the 1900's. His sheer musical ambition was something to be reckoned with, honestly. He was nothing short of a miracle.
>>
Inventor/co-inventor of:
Progressive Rock
The Concept Album
The Rock Opera
The Double Album (planned it before Dylan, Dylan released his first)
First artist to use the studio as an instrument

Read Scaruffi's page on him. It's amazing: http://www.scaruffi.com/vol1/zappa.html

>a 9
>SIX 8s
>NINE 7s

If you look at Scaruffi with math in mind, he's the best artist ever.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.