[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did Japan never give up on '80s-style cock rock and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: nvgizjptnkc1kn1j.jpg (61 KB, 400x500) Image search: [Google]
nvgizjptnkc1kn1j.jpg
61 KB, 400x500
Why did Japan never give up on '80s-style cock rock and shred metal when grunge and alternative rolled along like America and most of Europe did?
>>
>>63597804
I once read an explanation of this.

Apparently (I don't know this, I only remember what was in what I read), Japan has a history with stringed instruments that are/were much more similar in tone and approach to shred than western classical music (or basically any music up to the late 70s). Yngwie might've been playing classical music with tacky rock shit throughout and bombast, but it was exactly that same rock shit and bombast that people began to dislike after the 80s. Japan had a much longer history and tradition of that type of stringed music, and the bombast and extravagance associated with shred and such are much more accepted there, so the music was not and is not seen as as silly as it is in the west.
>>
I don't know, but thank god they didn't. I honestly can't stand most modern rock. Most of the western music I listen to nowadays is rap and EDM because rock is so toothless and simpleton.

Japan was better at 80s rock than the west anyway, while the west was all about power ballads Japan did all sorts of cool pop blending shit and introducing classical bits. Japan is just good at rock.
>>
It's hard to get heroin in Japan
>>
>>63597989
That said, the Japs love a good power ballad as much as whiteys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF622LgJofo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRgrjgghICk
>>
Grunge and alt rock is too gloomy for the Japs.

They like upbeat music.
>>
japan operates on another level
>>
Japan was still listening to funk and aor smooth jazz in the 80s so hair metal became a cool thing in the 90s.

They're usually 5 years or so behind the western music trends and put their own weird spin on it.
>>
File: exp_4.jpg (168 KB, 598x336) Image search: [Google]
exp_4.jpg
168 KB, 598x336
I think it might all be just Western music to them. Like it's all mentally filed into the same group.

I was listening to a Japanese radio station on tunein once and they were playing a Blur song, "Advert" I think, and it was followed by a Bobby Brown song. Like there's no differentiation, it's all just *English music*.

Nirvana were pretty popular in Japan btw. Cobain's just as much of an icon there as anywhere else.
>>
>>63598011
Keked heartily hahaha
>>
I don't know. Japan has a bit of everything when it comes to music. But as for Grunge. Grunge was just a lame fad shoved down our throats by the media trying to create the next big thing.
>>
>>63598532
>Blur is popular in Japan
wtf i hate japan now
>>
File: mfw.jpg (25 KB, 300x256) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
25 KB, 300x256
>>63598612
good meme
>>
>>63598587
That too. Grunge had no staying power anywhere.
>>
>>63597804

Grunge doesn't even fucking exist. No "Grunge" band sounds like any other grunge band. It's just some variant of alt rock. True "Grunge" is shit like The Melvins' sludge-y albums that are not even what is commonly known as grunge.
>>
'CAUSE I FEEEEEEEL
>>
>>63599841
Power chords, mid tempo, downtuned guitars, no leads, riff driven, sludgy tone, angsty lyrics.
Why do people keep pushing the "grunge bands don't sound alike" meme?
>>
>>63597989
>simpleton
I like that word.

>>63598367
Uptempo you simpleton.
>>
>>63599942
Sounds like Nu Metal
>>
>>63600009
yeah, because you just add rap to grunge and you have nu metal
>>
>>63599942
dont forget the slow soft verse and the big angry CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUS

also: all grunge bands STARTED sounding different because they belonged to different genres, by 1993/4 grunge as totally a thing and they sounded completely alike
>>
Based Japan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnqHs4wNFQo
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.