[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've had Bowie on the back burner for quite a while now.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: 18-1977-Heroes.jpg (188 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
18-1977-Heroes.jpg
188 KB, 1500x1500
I've had Bowie on the back burner for quite a while now.

But I've seen lots of negativity surrounding him lately on /mu/, and was wondering if I should even bother anymore.

What merit do these accusations have and how much does it take away from the music?
>>
>>63580575
i would mention that his music sounds nice and is entertaining but the music theory meme cucks would reply
>>
>>63580575
Just listen to an album and judge for yourself you cuck.
>>
>>63580575
Negative discussion about Bowie on /mu/? This is news to me. /mu/ loves bowie, especially the Berlin Trilogy.

I am a huge fan of Low, Heroes is pretty good as well. I enjoy Young Americans and Diamond Dogs as well, but Low is just really something else for me. Lodger is an interesting album, not my favorite by him, but it's pretty out there as far as Bowie goes.

I'd start with something like Heroes, Young Americans or Lets Dance. Then go from there. Even his 69(?) self-titled debut album was really nice, more of a 60's style rock sound, that solid gold oldies type sound. I think it's the one that has Changes on it as well.
>>
>>63580575
>influential artist dies
>many people are reminded of their work
>/mu/tants get sick of hearing about it
>dead artist being a "talentless hack" gets meme status for a while

same shit happened when Lou reed died

go listen to LOW my man, that album is sacred
>>
>>63581082
Pretty much this. Not to mention people tried to sully his legacy by calling him a Nazi rapist when he died. Fuck those people.

God dammit I still can't believe he's gone. So weird. Supposedly his label is going to be releasing the album he was working on after Black Star in 2017. He didn't get to finish it obviously, but I think they're going to release what he had finished.
>>
>>63580575
>Memewie
>>
>>63581112
Shut the fuck up
>>
>>63581112
Go choke on a cock you teenage fag bag.
>>
>>63580722
his debut album is his worst imo, youre thinking of hunky dory
>>
>>63581145
i think they meant the 2nd S/T album, which got retitled to Space Oddity in the states
>>
>>63580722
I think the negativity here started after he died

See >>63581112
>>
>>63581145
Ah, Changes is on Hunky Dory. Nah, I was thinking of his debut album honestly. I enjoy it, but it's certainly not his best by any means. It was him playing it safe to break into the industry I feel, before he wanted to get all theatrical and artsy. So he made base line rock music. It's not bad by any means, just by comparison to the rest of his discography it doesn't compare.

But yeah OP start with something from the Berlin Trilogy, Low is really fucking good. That trilogy is generally accepted as some of his best work.
Berlin Trilogy

>Low
>Heroes
>Lodger

These are albums he wrote after he left the LA, CA, US scene to get away from his coke habits and went to Berlin to explore new territory and ideas. Pretty sure he either relapsed or was going through some serious withdraws in those new few years. Cause some of the music is pretty out there, but it's great stuff. If I remember correctly, that's the story behind it anyway.
>>
>>63581112
Kill yourself
>>
>>63580575
His a nice artist with some diverse discog.
>Want to listen to some 60's folk-rock?
Try Hunky Dory
>Want to listen something more mature with diversity and a touch of electronic music?
Try Low or Heroes
>Want 80's pop?
Try Let's Dance
>>
>>63581172
No, I mean this one. The one that sounds like good old solid gold oldies rock music from the 50's and 60's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bztXXKln1Y

Came out in 67, actually. Again, not his best stuff but certainly not bad by any means. Reminds me of stuff like Herman's Hermits and early Beatles music. But yes, by comparison to stuff like Heroes, Young Americans, Low and others, it's not as good.
>>
>>63581217
Nevermind I don't know where I got solid gold oldies from. Not really sure how to describe the sound of this album. Late 60's Brit-pop maybe? lol. It's different from his other stuff but you can hear that Bowie flare to it.
>>
OP here, thanks for the recs and clearing things up about Bowie in general.

I'll definitely be checking out Low and depending on how I like that I'll either listen to Blackstar or Heroes next.
>>
>>63581380
Don't forget Ziggy
>>
>I want folk-rock
Hunky Dory
>I want glam (that's actually good)
Ziggy Stardust
>I want soul
Young Americans
>I want Krautrock
Station to Station
>I want art-rock
Low
>I want new wave
Scary Monsters
>I want 80s pop
Let's Dance

Also, Outside, Earthling, Buddha of Suburbia, Heathen, The Next Day and Blackstar are probably the best of his post-80s stuff.

And shame on you OP for being put off a classic artist by a bunch of memers.
>>
>>63582674
You should also try and listen to Blackstar last, it his epitaph and means much more if you appreciate where it comes from.
>>
>>63580575
shut up mate almost all bowie hate is posted as a joke get a sense of humour and stop being such an /mu/ drone
>>
Bowie is a brilliant, super important musician. what the fuck.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.