[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
All memes aside, what does /mu/ think of this album? Is it essential
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
All memes aside, what does /mu/ think of this album? Is it essential prog?
>>
There's no such thing as essential prog, because it's all garbage.
>>
>>66507876
Close to the Edge is better.
>>
>>66507876
yes
>>66507903
wew
>>
Yes is one of the few prog artists I would say is actually worth listening to. so there's that.

roundabout is a fucking masterpiece of a song, regardless of genre.
>>
To be honest, I never found Yes to be really great like people make it out to be and some of my favorite albums are what's usually considered garbage tier.
That album is similar, I can see it's pretty solid, but I just can't get my head around why some people revere it as the highest point of Yes and maybe all progressive music ever.
>>
>>66507998
it's very impressive for the time it was released.
>>
better than close to the edge

>>66507903
fuck off

>>66507998
they're overrated compared to most of the classic prog bands
>>
>>66507935
roundabout is fucking great, autistic memes aside
>>
>>66507876
Yes
>>66507903
wew
>>
>>66508031
That would explain the 40+ yo guys that were around when it was released, but I also see a lot of people no older than 30 shilling heavy for that album.
>>
>>66508175
you don't have to have been around at the time to recognize what it brought to the table, though. some people like it *because* of it's historical importance. it's the same reason people still play old NES games even though they never grew up on them.
>>
>>66507903
Go home Christgau
>>
parts of it are gold, but there's a lot of filler and weak shit on it

I heard the entire album was made to raise money for new synthesizers and I don't doubt it.
>>
>>66509560
>a lot of filler and weak shit on it
Agreed. Roundabout and Heart of the Sunrise are fantastic, but a lot of those short interlude are pretty lame after the novelty wears off. It's a great album but Close to the Edge is pretty much flawless.
>>
>>66507921
>>66508077
>>66508149
>>66508270
>people actually like prog
isn't it your bedtime, grandpa?
>>
1. CttE
2. Fragile
3. The Yes Album

Post-Bruford they turned to shit and became a parody of themselves, i.e. everything that's embarrassing about prog past 1973 or so.

And if not for the awful Wakeman filler it'd be better than CttE imo.
>>
>>66509793
What don't you like about Relayer?
I think it sounds very refreshing compared to their other stuff, perhaps the most experimental they ever got.

Tales and GFTO have some salvageable material too.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.