[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just listened to Red and while thematically I believe In the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: court.jpg (75 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
court.jpg
75 KB, 500x500
I just listened to Red and while thematically I believe In the Court of the Crimson King is superior, musically Red is more interesting.

My dad has all the King Crimson records, which should I check out next?
>>
Larks Tongue and Islands
>>
>>66505221
I asked my pops about both records cause I was digging through his collection recently. He's a fucking drunk now and he doesn't remember anything about Islands or Larks Tongue so I didn't know where to go after Red. All he really remembers is that Thela Hun Ginjeet song from their '81 album.

Thanks
>>
>>66505190
Lizard
>>
>>66505190
Discipline
>>
>>66505190

Discipline
In The Wake of Poseidon
Starless and Bible Black

>>66505221

Islands is the only KC album that I can actually say I dislike, it's kind of shit
Why do people like it so much?
>>
>>66505447
Islands is better than Starless and Bible Black for me....
>>
>>66505447
dat trumpet bro

admittedly i havent heard it in ages
>>
>>66505190
The next one you should listen to is Larks Tongue, after that, In the Wake of Poseidon, after that, Islands, after that, Lizard, after that, Starless and Bible Black, after that, Discipline, after that, Beat, after that, Three of Perfect Pair.
>>
>No THRAK or Happy with what you have to be happy with recommendations ITT

come on friends they're not that bad
>>
All of them, at your own time.

But right now, start with Larks and Discipline.
>>
File: robert fripp.jpg (25 KB, 240x280) Image search: [Google]
robert fripp.jpg
25 KB, 240x280
I have the opportunity to catch King Crimson in November in Belgium.

Should i do it? It's a set with three drummers.
>>
>>66505713
I've been dying to see them but they don't exactly tour the US often...so yes you definitely should
>>
Larks' Tongues in Aspic or Starless and Bible Black if you like Red
Discipline if you like Talking Heads
>>
>>66505713
Fucking do it. It's polyrhythms galore
>>
>>66505713
>band has three drummers
good, more textures for you
>>
>>66505746

I don't know, it's 50€ for the worst places and i don't know if Fripp is wealthy.
>>
Honestly, all King Crimson albums (save for maybe Construkction of Light) are worth a listen. But, after those two, definitely check out Larks' Tongues In Aspic and In The Wake of Poseidon. Larks' Tongues, in my opinion, is slightly superior to Red. It's a bit stranger and it's less guitar based, featuring a larger core group of musicians that are all in the forefront. Also Larks' Tongues In Aspic part 1 is the best thing King Crimson ever did. In The Wake of Poseidon is very similar to In The Court, but it does differ and all the material is good. So glad another person is getting into King Crimson. They're my favorite band and they're so fun to get into.
>>
>>66506333
I frequently see people mentioning construkction as one of their weaker albums, is it the lyrics that bug people?
>>
>>66507526
I just think the material is largely a bit weaker. I don't even think it's a bad album, just not great. Frakctured The Construkction of Light, Larks' Tongues In Aspic pt IV are all very nice, but the rest is a bit more forgettable.
>>
>>66505713
Who's the drummers? What's their line-up now days? I liked the last live album they recently put out, so i'd go for it.
>>
>>66507951
Drummers are Pat Mastelotto, Gavin Harrison, and Jeremy Stacey (who recently replaced Bill Rieflin). The current lineup also features Mel Collins on flute/sax, Tony Levin on bass, Jakko Jakszyk on guitar/vocals, and of course Fripp
>>
>>66505447
Islands is my favourite but asking why people like it so much is a bit weird, given that it is consistently rated on the low end in KCs discography on /mu/
>>
Lizard!
Their most underrated album by far, it explores the jazz realm of the first 2 much further and has some really excellent Mellotron work and very tight drumming.
>>
Put moonchild on repeat till you understand.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.