[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reading lyrics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 1467700301032.jpg (17 KB, 204x190) Image search: [Google]
1467700301032.jpg
17 KB, 204x190
When you're listening to an album for the first time, do you read the lyrics if you can't understand them while the songs playing or do you just sit back and don't worry about hearing the lyrics perfectly?

Which way is better?
>>
>>66505124
i never pay too much attention to an album on my first listen i just put it on in the background to see if i would actually like it by the sound of it

then afterwards i actively listen to it
>>
>>66505124
For a first listen I'm pretty much just feeling it out. I do pay attention to the lyrics but if I don't understand something, I look it up later
>>
>>66505124
First listen I might accidentally pick up some of the lyircs (I tend to pick them out really easily, not necessarily on purpose), but care more about the overall "feels"/tone of the lyrics.

Second time or if something caught my ear I'll pay attention to them. Almost never look them up, unless I'm really struggling for some reason.
>>
99.9% of the time, lyrics don't affect my feelings toward the music. I can name some bands where they've helped (Animal Collective, Arab Strap, of Montreal, Mew), but most of the time they're more or less filler and kind of meant to be ignored. If I feel a need to listen along, though, or if I already like the music, it does tend to help.
>>
Who even reads lyrics I just like the chorus :p
>>
>>66505124
I try to hear the words as best as I can and make a conscious effort to resist the urge to look up the lyrics online, because I'll often mishear something in a certain way and get used to hearing it as that. Then I'll come across the lyrics online and realize what's actually being said, and that it's totally different from what I thought, and then I have to accept that the song isn't about what I thought it was about.
>>
I don't listen for the lyrics. I just tend to think of the voice as another instrument in the mix.
>>
>>66505193
yeah same
>>
>>66506859
same here. Lyrics aren't really important for me when it comes to enjoying music. They can add the cherry on the top if I'm going through something and I can relate to the lyrics in some way but if the voice(s) sounds good with the rest of the music I don't pay much mind what they're saying.
>>
I make a distinction between lyrically driven albums and musically driven albums. The first time listening to something, I never read the lyrics, but if I determine that it's lyrically driven I usually will the second time. Otherwise, with a few exceptions, I generally don't pay attention to lyrics.
>>
i'm surprised to hear how many of you don't pay attention to lyrics. i feel like a song wherein the lyrics matter is crafted such that the they are highlighted. good lyrics make a world of difference to me desu
>>
>>66507205
Same here. Not paying attention to the lyrics is something I'd expect normies to do. Good/Meaningful lyrics will make or break a song/album for me.
>>
File: nawkid.png (444 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
nawkid.png
444 KB, 800x600
>>66506659
>>66506659
>>66506709
>>66506859
>>66506898
>>66507078
Didn't know there were THIS many plebs on /mu/.
>>
>>66505124
I love reading lyrics along with the music!

How feeble thy man hast come forth unto us.
To thine blessed land.
Provoking his crucifixion...
Thus to endure the reality of everlasting damnation...
So as said...
Thy feeble savious...
Is to return...
Thou only suffer evermore.
Suffer!
How feeble thy man hast come forth unto Golgotha.
>>
>>66506859
I get what you are saying, but the thing that makes the voice such a special instrument is the ability to add words to it. I feel like you are missing the bigger picture if you ignore it altogether. Although, I'm kind of a hypocrite because I kind of do the same thing until I've heard the album about 2 or 3 times already because its hard to take in the whole album if you are just focusing on the lyrics.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.