[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any /mu/ tants here play in band? I used to be the drummer of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5
File: sd.jpg (44 KB, 600x557) Image search: [Google]
sd.jpg
44 KB, 600x557
Any /mu/ tants here play in band?

I used to be the drummer of an alt-metal group in College. Had some fun times but realized it was going nowhere so now I'm working as a programmer
>>
>drumming
>"musician"

lol
>>
Any /mu/ tants here work as a prostitute?

I used to suck the dick of a millionaire asian man in College. Had some fun times but realized it was very fattening to swallow that much protein so now I'm working as a receptionist in a sperm bank
>>
>>66499759
I'm actually the second drummer
>>
>>66499495
I played drums for 4-5 bands during all my life, the last one lasted several years, some EPs, mini-tours, some radio performances... We separated last year and now I'm depressed about music, I'm study web design instead...
>>
>>66499495
Good drummers can heavily influence the sound of a band, but it can't shape it.

I'm considering creating a band, but I only know one other guy who's tastes line up with mine, and I doubt I'll find anyone else. Both of us mainly play guitar, and have only dabbled in music creation before.
>>
>>66499927
Do it yourself
Having 4 people in a band stifles creativity. Just have a 2 person band and learn drum programming.
>>
File: 1454149076162.jpg (6 KB, 227x225) Image search: [Google]
1454149076162.jpg
6 KB, 227x225
i play in 2 bands. guitar and sing in one and drums in the other. shit's fun.
might gig abroad this september with the guitar/singing one so that's gonna be interesting, only played about 15 gigs in 3 cities before.

i know it wont work out in the end but i always figured i'd kill myself at a relatively early age so i just try to have fun while i can. this way i dont have to think about further education and whatnot and can enjoy life.
>>
I'm in a touring punk band

>>66499495
>realized it was going nowhere

you were doing it for the wrong reasons retard
>>
>>66499927
There are plenty of acts that only use a guitar and a drumkit. In fact don't get into that drum programming thing; drum machine albums all sound terrible.
>>
have been in a few touring punk bands but i played bass in all of them so it barely counts
>>
>>66499927
A good drummer can totally shape the sound of a band. Look at Brian Chippendale in Lightning Bolt, Zach Hill in Hella, or Chris Dave in the Drumheadz
>>
>>66500437
chris is that u
>>
>>66500358
lol
>>
>>66500358
Where are you out of?
>>
>>66499495
I used to play drums, got together with different friends at different times, but never went anywhere. I can't drum anymore because I have a disorder that makes me super sensitive to pain and drumming makes everything hurt from palm to chest. I really miss drumming. System Of A Down songs were really fun to play
>>
>>66499495
Funny, I'm a drummer for a hardcore punk band and also studying to be a programmer.

Do you still play, OP?
>>
>>66499495
Been looking for bandmates for 5 years. I don't know where to find ones that don't like this indie bullshit. Vocalist/bassist starting new genre based on rock, metal, electronica, and in particular an emphasis on bass&drum grooves. It's something danceable but I can't name it yet. Not indie!!!! Where do I go to find a style like that; Cali? New york?
>>
>>66500358
>touring punk band
either you're the spoiled child of wealthy parents that therefore doesn't need to much in his life or you done goofed (if you want to raise a family that is, if not, carry on)
>>
i'm guitarist, drummer and bassist in my one-man band

i'm also a programmer
>>
>>66500623
if you had the option to go to those places wouldn't you already be there friendo
>>
File: 1460520027498.png (441 KB, 1097x1080) Image search: [Google]
1460520027498.png
441 KB, 1097x1080
>>66499900
>>
>>66500542
From time to time but only for fun
Kinda expected that it would never really work out especially since rock is deader now than its ever been
>>
>>66500398
>drum machine albums all sound terrible.
holy pleb
>>66500448
this
>>
>>66500747
Like another anon said, if you were wanting it to "work out" or to "make it" you were probably playing for the wrong reasons.
>>
>>66500623
Probably Boston
>>
I played with guitar one sort of emo/post-hardcore band with dudes who could barely handle their instruments. I ended up writing 90% of the music (including lyrics and proudction) but the singer insisted on being the frontman and pretending he wrote everything, I got sick of it and quit.

I've had a DSBM project going for a while but haven't done an official release yet.

I was close to being in a tech-death band but lost the spot to a guy who was better than me.

So to answer your question, not really. Playing in a band is only really fun if the other members have the same vision as you.
>>
>>66500769
who are you calling pleb, person who actually likes drum machines?
>>
>>66499927
Though gene hoglan was the main compositor of dark angel
>>
>>66500812
Seconded wtf
>>
>>66500793
>Playing in a band is only really fun if the other members have the same vision as you
Holy this

Conflicting ideas is what causes bands to totally shut down.
Sure some compromises could be made but other than that, it's just a disaster waiting to happen
>>
>>66500812
A drum machine will usually sound better than a low/medium-skilled real drummer. You've got to be really good at drumming to outshine how convenient and easy to control some drum software is. A lot of metal albums use drums that you'd never know were programmed until you looked it up.
>>
>>66500793
>but the singer insisted on being the frontman and pretending he wrote everything,
what a fag
>>
>>66500398
>drum machine albums all sound terrible
idk HANL is p good
>>
>>66500784
I just played for fun mainly because I didn't do much else in College
When I first joined I aspired that we could be moderately successful since we got a positive reaction from the crowd but we were barely playing any venues and was only making like $200 a month.
I heard recently that they broke up but even if I continued as a drummer I would probably be playing as a touring member for some folk act since the music scene in my city sucks
>>
>>66500398
>disliking streetcleaner
i get your point though
>>
File: cover.jpg (238 KB, 800x812) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
238 KB, 800x812
>>66500812
>he can't appreciate the beauty of a TR-808 or 909
it is still you who are the pleb
>>
>>66500893
>You've got to be really good at drumming to outshine how convenient and easy to control some drum software is

a good ear too
>>
>>66501005
atr is trash though
>>
>>66501035
w e w
alec empire's solo stuff is better though imo
>>
>>66501094
from what i've heard yes it is
>>
File: Oh shit.jpg (39 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
Oh shit.jpg
39 KB, 960x540
>>66499495
>be me
>be in last year of engineering school, already found an employer for next year
>play in punk band
>other band mates all study music in college
>they all refuse to get payed for gigs
>they all say they have no future and will go nowhere and never live of music
>mfw
>>
>>66500784
>>66500358
this mentality in so juvenile and must come from a place with such a lack of responsibility. This is coming from someone who has been making art and music for years and finally bit the bullet at 22 to go to school for it and pursue it professionally. Its not a stable life, and I would never blame anyone for choosing to get out of it, and heaven forbid I get sick or get my partner pregnant or wind up in another relationship with someone with a psychotic disorder where the medication costs $400 a month. Life will kick yr ass and if you dont have to capital to kick back yr screwed.
>>
>>66501475
There can be no women if one must do these things this proper way im afraid my friend
>>
play guitar and do vocals for my band where i write all the music, and have played guitar and drums for my friends' bands a few times filling in. got to go on tour through the east coast and midwest once with my friend's folk punk band which was really really fun. hoping to step it up with shows in my band and play a lot more since we just finished our album.
>>
>>66501176
Have a similar situation except the guitarist doesn't believe in the band and refuses to play small shows and build up to bigger audiences. And the drummer is a retard who will do shit like turn down free studio time if we already have some.

We play hard/progressive rock, but I make sure the song writing leans away from rush. (I play bass.)

I also play with a friend who plays drums and guitar and I play guitar and bass. It's a lot less serious, but we play whatever and have more fun.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.