[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whats your typical process for writing songs, /mu/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: jandek-ready_for_the_house.jpg (299 KB, 1181x1181) Image search: [Google]
jandek-ready_for_the_house.jpg
299 KB, 1181x1181
Whats your typical process for writing songs, /mu/?
>>
fuck around on guitar until I come up with a chord progression. fuck around with my voice until I come up with a melody. fuck around with words until I come up with lyrics.

Pretty simple stuff.
>>
File: 1468269603208.jpg (55 KB, 640x319) Image search: [Google]
1468269603208.jpg
55 KB, 640x319
>>
usually pick a key and riff around on the scale until I figure out a decent melodic thing I like. Or if I already have a melody in my head, I'll figure it out on the scale and decide what key I want it to be in. usually i hear it in my head first though throughout the day and work it out later. Then I'll decide whether I want it to be chorus or verse, and work out the other parts. Bridge/solo is usually my downfall. I'm shit at transitioning to a bridge. I can play lead fine but cleanly creating a transition chord progression fucks me up
>>
For me, I normally stumble up one of two parts of what could be a song that I like. I'll record shittily as a scratch track and expand onto drums or bass to start giving it some layout. From here the song completely changes, so I re-record the guitars and make them more defined and complementing to the rhythm section.. From here, the song completely changes. So I re-record the bass and tweak the drums a little bit, slowly playing into what might be the next part. This changes the song completely, so I start working on that transition and how I can build into it more appropriately. By now, I typically have a solid idea of the feel of the song, and just have to finish the next half. Around here I'll experiment with motifs that can tie together parts A B and C. This typically changes the song completely, so I add more expression to the other instruments by rerecording them again. Now the song has a completely different feel to it and I'm excited to find ways to close it or tie it all together. One thing I like doing is adding a moment of contrast in, or find ways to crescendo it all at the end. This typically changes the song completely, so I rework most parts into something more appropriate. A bit unorthodox, but I typically add vocals in at the very end. I may have ideas while working throughout, but I usually play around with throughout writing and wait to record them last. This usually changes the song completely. At this point I'll mix it, change the song completely, mix it again, re-record, master mix it, change the song completely, re-work some instruments parts, master mix it again, change the drums up one last time, final mix it and then its ready to be put on my soundcloud as a demo.
>>
determine a sort of 'feel' or 'atmosphere' for a song, and then find chords that best evoke it. i'll then figure out a vocal melody and write relevant lyrics from that (which relate to the 'feel' of the song), I then just kind of flesh it out from there
>>
>>66489115
>tfw when something changes the song completely
>>
>>66488923
I usually write lyrics first.
>>
i usually scour soundcloud for profiles with <10 followers and just steal their music.
it's worked out really well for me so far t b h senpai
>>
I come up with a simple basic melody, then gradually elaborate it and add more detail, try out different keys and rhythms etc. Usually after an hour or two it has completely changed from what I started with.

I also unashamedly copycat songs, I just change melodies and rhythm around a bit, basically with the idea of "if I had come up with this song, this is how I would've played it". Usually people won't notice.
>>
it usually starts with me slightly varying another songs chord progression.
(for example The King of Carrot Flowers pt 1 goes F C Bflat and a song that i'm currently working on goes F G Bflat F)
i usually mess around with this until i get something i like and then i wing the lyrics, usually while recording myself. i do this until i like what i come up with and then i write down what i sung for future reference.
>>
>>66490482
No shame my friend

Its amazing how you can take a black metal progression and turn it into bluegrass.

The feels are the same but the song is different
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.