[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is the general public becoming increasingly closed-minded
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
Why is the general public becoming increasingly closed-minded about music as time goes on? People on fucking St Vincent videos saying "This is sooo weeeird. She has no talent." She would've been massive in the 80's. Is consumerism to blame here?
>>
>>66487282
Because the general public has shit taste

Although St Vincent is pretty shitty as well
>>
>>66487298
St Vincent maybe wasn't the best example. I can see why any music fanatic finds her uninteresting, but your average person who hates St Vincent complains about how "weeeird" they are and would probably shit on Bjork for the same reason.
>>
>>66487282
I think the internet has allowed people to consume increasingly unchallenging media. You'll find people listening to niche genres your mom hasn't heard of like electro-swing, but anything more substantial that isn't instantly gratifying can be tossed away. I'm talking out my ass btw, I wasn't alive in the 80s and I don't remember not having internet.
>>
Pop music is less and less diverse and 'alternative' stagnated. People are just generally not exposed to a wide variety of music, to the point where something like Twenty One Pilots is seen as daring.
>>
I wish I were alive in the 80s. todays music just plain sucks
>>
Literally the opposite. Teenage girls will always be the same tho and they are the biggest demographic. also they are the ones commenting on youtube videos.
>>
>>66487282
Experimentation in music is less and less desirable by record companies and radio dj's since the late 60's. people who aren't really interested in music (aka the majority) don't really search farther than that. I personally blame the internet that made music much more of a cheaper commodity and any sort of deviation from the norm as a unnecessary risk.
>>
File: 1231551.jpg (80 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1231551.jpg
80 KB, 720x960
Because the "Cringe" meme phenomenon is encouraging people to conform to the norm and any slightly odd behavior is considered to be socially unacceptable. Internet social acceptance is at the root of it all.

Could you imagine an artist like J Mascis of Dinosaur Jr making it big today? They had significant mainstream airplay in the 90s but today he would be considered an untouchable autistic.

Look at this interview for example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLebfV0n6Ak
>>
>>66489132
Will is worse
>>
>>66488211
>lewronggeneration
weeew
>>
>>66487282
This isn't true, the general public has always been closed-minded. Jazz was seen as the work of the devil at its peak, my Uncle was a punk in the 70s and said he received tons of abuse, it's not like everyone was listening to Pixies and Talk Talk in the 80s, and when I was growing up in the 90s people were listening to fucking Spice Girls and Take That. There are a few great bands that manage to break through (e.g. The Beatles and Radiohead), but its a myth that people used to generally listen to difficult, or good, music.
>>
I do believe that mainstream music has become shittier in recent time. My guess for why, is that the internet has created so many mini-sub-cultures that all of the kids who'd be "alt-kids" are now deep into their unknown own subcultures instead of one semi-mainstream subculture. Since the alt-kids of today don't agree on music they're left with zero radio space. Instead, the mainstream is only left with music that fits most comformist, uniterested consumers.

To think that everything post 2000 sucks is just ridiculous. This will probably be remembered as one of the most important movements in music - the rise of the internet. There's tons of new, really good music for anyone to enjoy at anytime. The abbility to create hit music is even taken out of the hands of the record companies, and independent artists can for the first time ever be truly independant and successful. It's gonna be hard to agree on what specific records define these decades, but the importance of them won't be forgotten.
>>
>>66488211

Here's the good news mate - because you were born when you were, you can actually now listen to 100% of the music that was ever released in the 80s! That's even more than if you actually time travelled back to the 80s! And you can choose not to listen to any of the music that's being released currently if you want! Surely your life is a fucking dream!
>>
>>66487282

This isn't even true, you literally read 3 comments on a single youtube video and made a fucking massive sweeping comment about music and culture in the public eye in 2016 lol
>>
>>66488211
>>66489503

lol'd
>>
>>66489464
>>66489132
Internet has both good and bad effect. It kinda creates both the chance to be exposed to a tonn of genres and a tonn of useless opinions about those genres, and no matter what you say i beleive you'd gonna be effected with those opinions even if in slightest way, imo.
>>
>>66487282
>She would've been massive in the 80's.

Does she have an insanely catchy, well crafted single? Then probably not. The thing about a lot of 80's musicians, and this goes for the 60's, 70's, and 90's too, is that they're grown more popular now than they ever were when they were releasing music. Same thing will happen with today's artists.
>>
>>66487282
what are you high?
stop reading yt comments. everybody at college doesn't think shes weird
leave your house and talk to people
>>
>>66489684
meh
while partially true, if you look at the billboard hits for those times it looks helluva' lot better than today. this could be only because I'm over exposed to modern pop music, and dislike it irrationally becaus of that.
>>
lmao st.vincent would have been a nobody in the 80's
she's a lesbian who depends on her producer John Congleton
maybe if he was alive back then maybe. but no

I like her music but shes vastly overrated.
>>
People aren't pretending to be deep anymore
>>
>reading yt comments
hehe
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.