[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How the fuck do you learn songs by ear? Or even identify chords,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: 1442804266893.jpg (409 KB, 2304x1296) Image search: [Google]
1442804266893.jpg
409 KB, 2304x1296
How the fuck do you learn songs by ear? Or even identify chords, tuning etc.?

I have been playing guitar for about 3 or 4 years now and I'm still fucking awful at it.

I can barely see the guitarist playing the song I want to learn so that doesn't help either.
>>
>>66486366
git gud
>>
>>66486383
I am likely a fairly mediocre guitarist but after all this time I expected things to get easier, I'm just awful at it.
>>
>>66486409
Listen to simple songs. Try to guess chords.
Go slowly until each chord sounds right. Play along with the song using the chords you figured out and see if it sounds the same. Look up chords/tabs online. See how yours compare. Try yours and the online version and see which is closer. Do this many times until you are consistently as good or better than tab websites.
ITAOTS would be a good album to start with,
>>
File: 1929neverforget.jpg (90 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1929neverforget.jpg
90 KB, 640x640
>>66486510
I already know all the songs from ITAOTS by memory
>>
All I did was constantly play the piano until I figured out which keys sounded good together. You have to suck first and be terrible until you're even halfway decent. Just keep strumming, keep "writing," keep going.
>>
File: dually noted.jpg (2 KB, 120x117) Image search: [Google]
dually noted.jpg
2 KB, 120x117
>>66486366
I've been playing for about 8 years now, and I've found that I only really have relative pitch, so there are only a limited number of things I am familiar with enough to know without a reference point.

I also have played all kinds of music from simple folk chords to metal and jazz, so I have a pretty big library of sounds I recognize.

Just takes time. It sucks to deal with, but it's a matter of looking up those things you want to learn and creating your own associations. Best thing to do when you're not engaged in learning those songs specifically is to pick another song in the same key and bounce what you have learned from the first against what you hear in the second, separating any scalar differences.

good luck
>>
Learn music theory. Learn what makes up a scale. Learn what intervals are and memorize them. Learn to identify chord progressions by ear. There is no God-given gift. Just learn it. That's all there is to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71zPhkwrOq0

Great video for memorizing intervals.
>>
>>66486543
Try some Jonathan Richman songs then
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR6Ns3AcDco
>>
>>66486366
Getting songs down perfectly by ear is fucking hard, sometimes chord changes can get washed out in the mix, radioheads high and dry for example, or red hous painters grace cathedral park. You need to learn theory so you can identify chord and note changes in any of the instruments and transpose them to guitar. Pay for a few lessons with a guitar teacher who knows his theory.
>>
File: 1465254695484.png (136 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1465254695484.png
136 KB, 400x400
If you can figure out the root note, then just dick around with scales until you find the tune you're after.

Sorry if that's bad advice, but that's all I've got.
>>
>>66486672
G, D, C? Hard as hell for me to try and isolate the guitar
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x342oxPwEcA

here is what im trying to learn btw
>>
bumpin that qt boi pic
>>
>>66486366
>>66486383
honestly, this^

the more you work at it, the better you get, also broaden your horizons when it comes to playing music, and listen to instrumentals, trust me it helps
>>
>>66488109
>boi
>>
>>66486366

Learn Solfege, sight singing, and perhaps try to do some audiation. Otherwise just really listen and get a feel for a chord progression in many keys, and you'll be able to identify them in songs better
>>
Yeah get some music training.
>>
>>66486668
Hey that's pretty helpful
>>
>>66486366
Just be patient, it takes time and some trial and error but you'll get the hang of it eventually
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.