[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do i become a great musician and what does it mean to be one?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: squier.jpg (101 KB, 800x1027) Image search: [Google]
squier.jpg
101 KB, 800x1027
how do i become a great musician and what does it mean to be one?
>>
pic related is my current bass btw
>>
Practice.
>>
>>66486467
thanks hadn't thought of that............ what do you recommend i practice
>>
>>66485725
ask the question after you've had at least 10,000 hours of dedicated practice
>>
just be yourself
>>
>>66485725
How long have you been playing?
>>
just be confident
>>
>>66486517
Okay you smug fuck, learn all of Jaco's songs, play them 100% through, never miss a note.
>>
>>66486724
And remove the pickguard, and frets.
>>
>>66486585
ive been playing 7 months
>>
>>66486724 ok i will
>>
>>66486567
what exactly makes the practice dedicated
>>
>>66487081
Well, shit.

Practice songs you like until you can play them all the way through. As you progress, it just becomes muscle memory. Once you build your confidence, you'll be able to learn more.
>>
>>66487196
yeah i mean i can play a few songs and im definitely way better than i started. i just feel like im missing something
>>
are there any specific songs or artists i should check out that would be good to practice besides "all of jacos songs" of course
>>
>>66485725
Play alot. Alot. Alot. Practice. Make songs, hate them, make them anyway. Learn other peoples songs. All of them. Devote yourself. Get in a band, a band that practices 3-5 days a week. Practice for hours. Write songs, hate them, write them anyway again.

Write songs. get to the point where you kind of like them. Learn more songs. Realize your songs where actually shit keep going.

Write more. Write more. Hate your music. Write more. Finally produce your first moderately decent piece of music. Still hate it. Write more. Write more. Finally produce something that a few people can definitely enjoy. hate it. write more. write more. play more. practice more. more band. Write one decent song, finally, one decent song. WRite a bunch of them, 4 or 5. Get them recorded. Get signed. You are still shit but your signed and your songs are decent 5/10's.

Do this for two years. Tour. Write more. Learn from bands that are better than you when you tour. Start writing good songs. Hate them. Writ more good songs. Write more good songs. Record them, a lot of them, 10 of them. Debut album.

Collaborate with Jay-Z

Die

Fin
>>
>>66487311
I typod alot of You're but Idfc
>>
>>66487311
if only my devoted practicing would save me from my inevitable death. thanks for the advice tho
>>
>>66487344
How old are you? how close to dying are you?

If you are gonna die relatively soon then fuck the bass nigga go take out a massive business loan and spend it on drugs and hookers go to cambodia and contract all the HIV in the world and then base jump off the Christ the Redeemer in Brazil while shitting and playing bass

the end?
>>
>>66487393
haha i turned 18 today so i have some time to kill
>>
>>66487438
Wow. Happy Birthday.

Great musicians are a dime a dozen, incredible musicians are out there by the numbers too. You can walk into any studio in any major city and find studio musicians that make $50,000 or $100,000 just being studio musicians and they completely dedicate their lives to their instrument(s).

You can go see your local symphony, if you live in a small place maybe not but if you see a large symphony, wind ensemble, orchestra. There are professional musicians in every seat that have devoted their lives being great musicians and they get paid fairly well.

You can walk down to your nearest urban center, wait until night on a friday, and maybe see a group of 60 year old guys jammin american jazz standards. No one knows them and they don't get paid, but they are masters.

Great musicians are everywhere. Some get paid, some don't, some get famous, some don't, some are assholes, some are nice, is how it goes.

Wana get famous? Devote the major majority of your life to that goal, if you loose everything, you can probably atleast make $50,000 a year as a studio musician in a big city.

Also Victor Wooten is better than Flea
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.