[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/country/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: TOWNES-VAN-ZANDT.jpg (28 KB, 600x467) Image search: [Google]
TOWNES-VAN-ZANDT.jpg
28 KB, 600x467
Hey you. Give me your top 10 country records/musicians.
>>
>>66479332
I wish I had a top 10
>>
File: emmylouharrisemmylou1.png (95 KB, 468x460) Image search: [Google]
emmylouharrisemmylou1.png
95 KB, 468x460
(in no particular order)

Emmylou Harris
Townes Van Zandt
Johnny Cash
Hank Williams
Gram Parsons
Kris Kristofferson
Steve Earle
Chet Atkins
Loretta Lynn
Bonnie Raitt

does /mu/ like country to any extent whatsoever?
>>
1. canada
2. england
3. germany
>>
File: NelsonHarrisBaez95583273.jpg (262 KB, 1024x679) Image search: [Google]
NelsonHarrisBaez95583273.jpg
262 KB, 1024x679
>top 10 country records/musicians
>in no particular order
Willie Nelson
Rodney Crowell
Dolly Parton
Lucinda Williams
Johnny Cash
Emmylou Harris
Merle Haggard
Kris Kristofferson
Hank Williams
Townes Van Zandt

>>66479378
if you don't have a list by your 30's then you have failed at music

>>66479663
A+ list and older /mu/tants are secret Country fags.

>>66480038
technically, canada isn't a country
>>
>>66481624
>>66479663
>all these entry level rymcore

hello redit!
>>
I like the country-rock or folk. Traditional country not really that big on.
>>
>>66481701
I've never lurked Country reddits so i'll just have to take your word on that
>>
>>66481624
>>66479663
>no guthrie
>>
>>66481784
Woody's more Folk than Country but i'll give you that one sure. I listened to alot of Dust Bowl Ballads when i was trying to make sense of the Hurricane Katrina fiasco. If you replace the dust with water it's spot on commentary.
>>
>>66482006
How would you differentiate folk from country? Always troubled me
>>
>>66482006
Actually, Woody was of the era when there still wasn't enough of a difference between folk and country for him to be put squarely in one or the other, or to put what I'm saying another way, Hank Williams called himself a folk musician about just as often as he called himself a country and western/honky tonk/hillbilly, etc musician.
>>66481701
My dad's been a country fan since the early 70s and his taste is pretty similar to rym's general taste for country music. He probably doesn't even know what reddit is.
>>
I saw a video of Jason Isbell playing live and it was p good. any of his other stuff good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaUCDqWzy1k
>>
>>66482123
There's been major stylistic changes over the decades, but when folk and country branched off from each other it was really mostly a matter of politics. Folk is a liberal man's country music and country is a conservative's folk music. This statement was a lot more true half a century ago though.
>>
>>66482151
whoops wrong video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaWkvqah9W8
>>
>>66482151
His whole discography is worth exploring including his time playing with the Drive By Truckers

>>66482123
>>66482146
It's a matter of perspective. Non-Americans will label everything here Americana including rootsier Springsteen stuff. The Chinese think of Bob Dylan as a Country & Western artist. It has to do with the subject matter, the instruments, how they're being played, what notes, the chord progressions, the tunings. The activist streak and the confrontational protest style is what made me put guys like Guthrie and Seeger in the Folk category but yeah you can find that stuff in straight up Country albums like Cash's Bitter Tears album.
>>
Most of these are more folk/rock than country, but it's as close as I get to the genre.

Bob Dylan - Nashville Skyline
Gram Parsons - Grievous Angel
Lee Hazzlewood - Cowboy in Sweden
Marty Robbins - Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs
Johnny Cash - Live at Folsom Prison
The Byrds - Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Dilliard and Clarke - The Fantastic Expedition Of Dillard & Clark
Flying Burritto Brothers - The Gilded Palace of Sin
Merle Haggard- I'm a Lonesome Fugitive
Willie Nelson - Shotgun Willie
>>
>>66482430
Have you listened to Tallest Man On Earth's stuff?
>>
>>66482588
I've tried. That's the thing about this stuff. If you don't care about the artist then it's going to be that much harder to appreciate their art. I have the same issue The Mountain Goats and Joe Henry. If i can't establish an emotional connection then I just move on. If you have any suggestions for getting into TTMOE i'm listening.
>>
>>66482710
Listen to King of Spain
Listen to the Wild Hunt (album)
Appreciate that all that he's writing about stems from his experience with the Scandanavian countryside.
He's also really great live
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.