[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Animal Collective General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25
File: Animal-Collective.jpg (219 KB, 1000x799) Image search: [Google]
Animal-Collective.jpg
219 KB, 1000x799
Ok, /mu/, let's have a thread to talk about them.

>favorite album
>rank the albums
>favorite member
>favorite sideprojects
>>
>Hollinndagain
>Everything before CHz > CHz > PW
>Geo tbqh
>Down There

I think everything they put out until very recently was all amazing. Even their new stuff is still good though.
>>
Campfire Songs

>Campfire Songs
>Feels
>Sung Tongs
>Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished
>Prospect Hummer
>MPP
>Strawberry Jam
>Fall Be Kind
>People
>Hollindagin
>Water Curses
>Danse Manatee

Deakin

>Sleep Cycle
>Tomboy
>>
>STGSTV
>Early Anco > Mid Anco > Pop Anco
>Avey
>Freakin with Deakin
>>
>Sung Tongs
>ST>STGSTV>MPP>CS>Feels>HCTI>SJ>PW>CHZ>Hollin>Danse
>idk, either panda or deak
>Sleep Cycle nigga
>>
STGSTV > Sung Tongs > Strawberry Jam > Feels > Hollinndagain > MPP > Here Comes The Indian > Campfire Songs > Centipede Hz > Animal Crack Box > Painting With > Danse Manatee
haven't listened to Live at 9:30 enough to fairly rank it. also if Fall Be Kind counted as an album it'd be above SJ probably
Panda's my favorite member and side projectmen, obviously
>>
>>66478448
>album
sung tongs
>ranking
'no'
>objectively avey. fuck the others really. especially panda
>side projects a shit
>>
I would honestly rank Painting With up there with their best, I think it has an incredibly unique approach to pop and all of the songs are very creative and detailed/well crafted. The only song I don't like is Natural Selection. What's wrong with me?

Also, all of Avey's solo albums are criminally underrated.
>>
>>66478608
>.
pretentious sack of shit. that album is a reeking 0.5/10 holy shit what a steaming pile of fan boy chum chum tier pop music.

kill yourself
>>
File: ancowithdeak.png (589 KB, 2784x816) Image search: [Google]
ancowithdeak.png
589 KB, 2784x816
>favorite album
MPP

>rank the albums
MPP
Strawberry Jam
Fall Be Kind
Sung Tongs
Water Curses
CHz
Campfire Songs
Prospect Hummer
People
HCTI
Dansee Manatee
PW

>favorite member
Panda

>favorite sideprojects
Avey - STGSTV
Panda - Person Pitch
Deakin - Sleep Cycle
>tfw no Geo album yet
>>
>>66478635
what
>>
What do you guys think of person pitch?
>>
>>66478672
amazing psychedelic dream pop, panda's best
>>
>>66478448
>favorite album
Feels
>rank the albums
Feels> STGSTV> Sung Tongs> MPP and SJ>Campfire Songs> Here Comes the Indian> CHz and PW> Danse Manatee and Hollinndagain
>favorite member
Panda
>favorite sideprojects
Sleep Cycle and Tomboy
>>
>>66478608
I like it too. Nothing else sounds quite like it.
>>
>SJ
>STGSTV
>HCTI
>Feels
>MPP
>ST
>Hollindagain
>CHz
>CS
>PW
>DM

EPs
>Prospect Hummer
>Fall Be Kind
>Water Curses
>the rest

Fave member is avey
Fave side project is Tomboy
>>
>>66478867
thank god

sometimes i think they made it so that people would keep listing danse as their worst
>>
>>66478968
what
>>
Give me your top 5 favorite Animal Collective Songs
>>
>>66479174
B-but anon, Painting With has more than five songs... I can't choose
>>
>>66479174
In the flowers
Alvin row
Peacebone
Fireworks
Daily routine
>>
>>66479230
Guess your just gonna have to pick man
>>
>>66479174
Mr Fingers
Tantrum Barb
Daily Routine
Winters Love
Fickle Cycle
>>
>>66479174
5. Water Curses
4. Did You See The Words
3. The Purple Bottle
2. Alvin Row
1. Banshee Beat

Banshee Beat might be my favorite song of all time
>>
Why doesn't Animal Collective ever work with rappers? Are they racist or something?
>>
>>66479412
dude deak's black.
>>
SJ>ST>Feels>STGSTV>MPP>HCTI>FBK>PH>wc
>>
1. Fireworks
2. Leaf House
3. Banshee Beat
4. Purple Bottle
5. Alvin Row
>>
The guy asking for top 5 songs here again. Out of everything that ive heard i cant find anything better than fireworks
>>
ughgh lads i need help. i like anco loads but was not a fan of pw (at all) and the live videos i've seen this tour don't have me hyped at at all (apart from daily routine and bees) but actress is opening on the fall leg and i really don't want to miss that. should i go see them live?
>>
MPP

MPP > STG > hcti > sj > feels > ST > Pw > CS > DM > Chz

Avey because i think everyone praises Panda and that Avey is actually the superior musician

Person Pitch
>>
>>66479574
Have you listened to live at the ritz? If you don't like that, don't bother
>>
>>66479574
yes. at least you have the chance, they're not coming to where i live, i think i might never see them live ever
>>
>>66479174
1. In the flowers
2. Alvin row
3. Also frightened
4. Infant dressing table
5. Spirit they've vanished
>>
>>66479574
go, you have nothing to lose
>>
>>66479628
no, but i'll check it out

>>66479639
sorry m8 :( hope you get the chance
>>
>>66479639
>tfw lives in Sweden
Just end it now
>>
>>66479639
Where do you live?
>>
File: image.jpg (201 KB, 900x1199) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
201 KB, 900x1199
>MPP > Sung Tongs > SJ > CHz > Painting With > Feels > Spirit > HCTI > Hollind > CS > Danse

>Panda (happy birthday Noah)

>Person Pitch and Sleep Cycle
>>
>>66479704
Brazil

Think they came here once during MPP era, but back then i didn't even knew them
>>
>>66479705
>pw above spirit
>>
>>66479729
>>66479729
>>66479729

Person Pitch vs. Sleep Cycle vs. STGSTV Poll and Thread
>>
File: 1433327733944.jpg (74 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
1433327733944.jpg
74 KB, 612x612
>>66478481
>Hollinndagain
the only anco i dont love
what do you like about it?

>favorite album
strawberry jam

>favorite member
avey
he wrote the most good songs

>favorite sideprojects
recently been loving pandas first
>>
>>66479574

where you at bro?
>>
>>66479781
I like spirit a lot but pw is just so much fun and it's very sentimental to me because it's the 1st record I've been a fan for and I saw the live show, so it means a lot to me
>>
Hi again dudes. Im working on a Banshee Beat cover

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1iNa7kzQfpv

Im not great at guitar, mostly just trying to sing it well enough and practice it enough to post a video to my channel. How does it sound? Thanks a bunch
>>
>>66479918
I can get that
>>
>>66479174
1. Daily Routine
2. Spirit They've Vanished
3. Winter Wonderland
4. Good Lovin' Outside
5. Bagels in Kiev
>>
Why isn't DM well liked? I enjoyed it.
>>
>>66479946
Fuck off
>>
>>66479946
Looks pretty good, man, you actually sing really well, you go from the high pitched to the more low tone voice that Avey does in the song really well, if it were me i would crack up real easy lol
The playing is fine too. A few slips here and there but it sounds pretty good.
>>
>>66480015
I like it, just isn't as good as most of their other albums.

Also

>favorite album
MPP

>rank the albums
MPP > FBK > Prospect Hummer > Campfire Songs > HCTI > STGSTV > Sung Tongs > Painting With > Feels > Water Curses > Danse > SJ > People > CHz

>favorite member
Favorite in Context to the Band: Geologist
Favorite in Context to Solo Work: Deakin or Panda
I love you too Avey

>favorite sideprojects
Sleep Cycle
>>
>>66480077
Wow thanks anon!! Im glad to hear that. I agree with the slip-ups. Im still trying to not screw up the lyrics, also working on getting general spacing down, knowing good times to play the guitar harder etc. Thanks for listening!
>>
>>66478448
>album
spirit my man
>rank
spirit>hollin>hcti>cs=chz>mpp=sung=feels>sj>danse>>pw
extremely consistent discography though, besides pw none below an 8
>member
avey
>sideprojects
sleep cycle/person pitch
>>
>>66478448
Strawberry Jam
I can't rank all of them fuck that, but right now i'm really diggin Prospect Hummer and Sleep Cycle
Tough, probably Panda
Pullhair Rubeye
>>
>>66480153
>loves MPP
>SJ one of the least favorite

what
>>
>>66480294

not him, but SJ is a more frenetic album than MPP, and I'd say it's more similar to CHz, which he rated last.
>>
What is the chance of them doing any more early tracks on the 2nd leg of this tour?

The appearance of Kids on Holiday gives me hope. What tracks would y'all like to see?
Personally I think Bat You'll Fly would be fantastic on this tour
>>
>>66480396
I honestly think that while it's great they're reviving these old tracks i have to admit that they don't sound as good as i thought they would live...

>>66480351
Yeah, you're right, it's just that these 2 happen to be my 2 favorites
>>
>>66480294
For me STGSTV and Centipede Hz suffer from some of the same problems. While I love some tracks (Winter Wonderland and the B-Side Safer) there are a lot of tracks that do absolutely nothing for me on SJ.

MPP is a very soothing, spacey and dream like record almost even though it has a decent amount of energy on a lot of the tracks.
>>
>>66480502
>STGSTV
I meant SJ
>>
I was massively fucking disappointed when I finally saw anco live this year after a decade of avid listening. Really what a huge letdown it was.

They suck live

And the whole not playing any old music thing is just a big fuck you to their fans

ugh
>>
>>66480153
>painting with over feels, SJ, water curses

triggered
>>
>>66478448
>fav album
SPirit They've Gone Spirit They've Vanished

>rank albums
Spirit They've Gone Spirit They've Vanished
Here Comes the Indian
Strawberry Jam
Sung Tongs
Feels
Merriweather Post Pavillion
Campfire Songs
Danse Manatee
Painting With
Centipede Htz

>fav member
Idk that's tough, probably Avey

>fav side projects
Down There, Person Pitch, and Sleep Cycle are all great.
>>
>>66480502
I think both have the same summer feel to me so that's why i compare them a lot, but yeah, they're very different records. I would say MPP is more concise as a whole
>>
>>66479174
Fireworks
Alvin Row
Leaf House
Turn Into Something
>>
>favorite album
Feels
>rank the albums
1. Feels
2. Campfire Songs
3. Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished
4. Here Comes the Indian
5. ODDSAC
6. Merriweather Post Pavilion
7. Sung Tongs
8. Strawberry Jam
9. Hollinndagain
10. Danse Manatee
11. Centipede Hz
12. Painting With
>favorite member
Avey Tare
>favorite sideprojects
Pullhair Rubeye (non-fucked-up version)
Sleep Cycle
Person Pitch
>>
>>66479174
1. La Rapet
2. Hey Light
3. Reverend Green
4. My Girls
5. Visiting Friends
>>
>>66480641
>>66480671

Don't be silly, that shit is just a thing with music in general. In /mu/ you can see people making the same "Death Grips is shit" posts all the time yet people are always making threads about them, and that's just an example.
The thing with Animal Collective tho is that their work is really vast and each album might havea completely different sound so there's always something for everyone. In the end we are all reunited because we still fucking love the band
>>
>>66478672
the best anco related project beside Feels
>>
>>66480612
Sorry, just how I feel.
>>
>Strawberry Jam
>Rank albums
SJ
MPP
STGSTV
Feels
Sung tongs
Painting With
Campfire Songs
CHz
HCTI
Danse Manatee
>fav member
Avey
>Side project
Sleep Cycle/Person Pitch
>>
File: 1465626950518.png (277 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1465626950518.png
277 KB, 640x360
>>66478448
>sung tongs

>ST
>feels
>SJ
>MPP
>FBK
>campfire songs
>Painting with
>here comes the indian
>prospect hummer
>CHz
>danse manatee

Panda Bear
Person Pitch, PBVSGR, sleep cycle
>>
Why didn't they ever do Prog-noise-pop like Spirit ever again?

I feel like they could make a fantastic album in that style again but they drifted so far away from that sound
>>
>>66481055
The things is, that was Avey's album
>>
I really hope that we see the effect Person Pitch had on MPP with Sleep Cycle and AnCo's next album. Imagine all four of them working on something with that album's super space-y sound. Also I'd really love to hear AnCo as a group do more of that almost Math Rock sound that was on Footy.
>>
check this objectively correct taste
>favorite album
Sung Tongs
>rank the albums
Sung Tongs
Hollinndagain
STGSTV
Here Comes the Indian
MPP
Strawberry Jam
Danse Manatee
Painting With
Campfire Songs
Feels
CHz
>favorite member
I couldn't pick a favorite, but my least favourite Deak (from a musical contributions standpoint, not as a person)
>favorite sideprojects
Person Pitch, Pullhair Rubeye, Slasher Flicks, Young Prayer
>>66479174
>top 5 songs
Meet The Light Child
Pride and Fight
Winters Love
Visiting Friends
The Burglars
>>66481146
if anco did more like Footy it'd be pretty great, by far the best thing off Sleep Cycle
>>
>>66479174
Visiting friends
Summing the wretch
De Soto De son
Brothersport
I think I can

No particular order
>>
>>66481186
>"objectively correct"
>posts perhaps the worst rankings in the thread

gonna need bigger bait there bud
>>
>>66481216
what's wrong with them, and what're your rankings my plebby anon friend?
>>
>>66478448
>Sung Tongs / HCTI depending on time of year
>see above > feels > stgstv > strawb = merry > Campfire Songs > CHz > Danse Manatee (still not sure where PW fits in honestly)
>Geo
>All of them are pretty great
>>
>>66478448
STGSTV > MPP > Feels > SJ = CHz > ST = PW > HCTI > CS >= DM > Hollinndagain

Panda

Down There or Person Pitch
>>
>>66481231
>feels second lowest despite it being anco's best album
>deakin "most contributing" member despite him randomly being absent from the group's most important works
>>
>>66481146
Yeah, that actually would be great, they would still maintain that pop-esque sound but grab that folk sound from the past. I think they can make an amazing album with that, Sleep Cycle was fuckin great
>>
>>66481274
Feels is mediocre, and reread what I said about Deak friendo, he's my least favorite
>>
>>66480766
this is the best opinion
>>
>>66481302
ok, then that's fine about deak, but I still think you're not giving feels enough credit. even if you don't think Purple Bottle is worth its reputation (it isnt really) you cant deny that Banshee Beat, Loch Raven, Turn into Something and Grass aren't fantastic.

the rest of your rankings are pretty good though
>>
>>66478672
I was pretty disappointed to find out that the guitar riff in the later part of Bros is just a long cat stevens sample over and over (can panda even play guitar?), but otherwise Person Pitch is a god damn masterpiece, 9.5/10
>>
>>66481339
Loch Raven and Turn Into Something are the two best tracks on the record and even then they don't touch the highs on their absolute best work. they're still pretty good though.
>>
>>66481381
ah it's you again i remember you from an old thread
>>66481376
panda plays guitar but i don't know why finding out that a sound on a sample based album was a sample detracts from how good it is
>>
>>66481376
>not realizing Person Pitch is sample based
>not knowing Panda can play guitar from Young Prayer, Campfire Songs, Sung Tongs, etc
what
>>66481405
I'm in all of these baiting with my taste, but every time I post it's completely genuine
>>
>>66481381
what songs off ST (your top rated) would match Loch Raven and Turn Into Something?

I would say maybe Leaf House is on the same level...? the kitties part is kind of awful though. We Tigers is certainly good too. Kids on Holiday is imo lower tier, the last three tracks are a snooze fest, VF is too, Sweet Road and College are amazing but they're like songettes not really songs
>>
>>66481452
Winter's Love
>>
>>66481439
>>66481405

I was just joking obviously but yeah it's sample based but still, woulda been cool if he did the riff himself
>>
Off topic but is anyone else itt getting seriously sick of the Grimes obsession here? Art Angels is decent, it gets annoying after two listens, and her personality is tumblr tier trash. And she's not attractive either (armpit hair seriously...?)
>>
>>66481474
Sorry but I just fail to see how Winter's Love is a better piece of music than Banshee Beat. It's great but feels has songs that are better than it.
>>
>>66481539
i wasn't him and i think Banshee Beat is far better than Winter's Love but i think that's probably the example he would have given because its easily the best on Sung Tongs
>>
I wish Leaf House was longer
Like 8+ mins
>>
>>66481452
Winters Love, Sweet Road, College, Visiting Friends, Mouth Wooed Her, maybe Who Could Win a Rabbit and Good Lovin Outside all beat them easily
disagree on the kitties part being bad, agree on Kids on Holiday (it's my least favorite of the album,) disagree on the last three tracks though I can see why people say that
>>66481517
completely unrelated, but yes, very
>>66481539
there's genuinely no part of Winters Love that isn't beautiful, and it might have the single best melody I've ever heard. Banshee Beat is beautiful throughout as well, but it's not mondblowingly so like Winters Love
>>
>>66481610
idk man. Whenever I sit down to listen to Sung Tongs I just get burned out after We Tigers when I hear that "I started playing the game..." and I seriously just can't make it through the last three tracks. In a vacuum they are decent tracks sure but in context of the album they just imo add a ton of weight onto the end that is unnecessary... the album is heavy enough with VF.

That being said, I think Feels and Sung Tongs are roughly equal in quality, sung tongs might edge it out just because I'm a sucker for folksiness but I love Feels as well.

And yeah I finally got around to filtering "grimes" and "chvrches" feelsgoodman
>>
>>66481610
But yeah, Winter's Love is a pretty perfect piece of music, I'll give you that much. I could probably listen to it for hours on repeat and never get bored. I still think some tracks on Feels come close though. Winters Love might be the best ever anco track honestly, if not then certainly one of the best. Loch Raven would be close too just because of how absolutely orgasmic the percussion and buzzing angelic sounds are on it
>>
Feels or Sung Tongs depending on the time of year.

Not going to bother ranking them.

Panda

Tomboy is GOAT. Sleep Cycle is fantastic too.
>>
>>66481687
I feel like the slow ending to the album is part of what makes it great honestly, it feels so articulate and well executed while fitting it perfectly. if anything, the part that makes it drag is the stretch from The Softest Voice through to Kids On Holiday; I feel like it should slow down there after the energetic opening, but it stays too slow for too long. while I don't dislike Kids On Holiday, I feel like the album would flow perfectly if it was dropped and maybe The Softest Voice and Winters Love were switched.
>>66481770
Winters Love used to be their best of all time by my standards, but Meet the Light Child recently edged it out just due to how perfect it is.
>>
I learned how to play Sweet Road on guitar today, but I suck dick at switching my fingers to the notes quick enough for it to not sound like downs syndrome.

What AnCo songs are easy to play on guitar? I also know Untitled 3 from Young Prayer but that one's easy too
>>
>>66481981
I don't know how to play guitar, but I'm guessing Visiting Friends, at least from a standpoint of what notes you have to play
>>
>>66481981
Leaf House is pretty easy and fun once you get the syncopation down
>>
>>66482034
there's a pretty funny note on the tab for Visiting Friends

it just says "Strum repeatedly, for as long as you like"

https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/a/animal_collective/visiting_friends_tab.htm
>>
>>66481925
what's so great about Meet the Light Child? it feels pretty uneventful to me
>>
>>66481231
>>66479574
>>66479705
>>66480613
>>66480671
>>66480843
>>66480906
>>66481261
>>66478797
>>66478649
>>66478593
>>66478549
>>66478526
>Danse Manatee at/close to bottom
>generally horrible rankings

How do AnCo fans entirely miss the point on most of their work? It seems like they just recycle opinions around them without justification. Almost every ranking in this thread is pitchfork-approved.
>>
>>66482378
What are your feelings on Tomboy? I'm guessing we have similar taste if you appreciate Danse
>>
>>66479796
I like the huge buildups, the harsh noise, the earth-shattering rhythm, the freakouts, etc.. Listen to this part at 1:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDW2tVtGwGQ

Or this at 7 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHIi1K2iWOY

Just listen to the intensity, it's by far the strongest thing they've done.
>>
>>66482163
compared to Danse's other long tracks it's the opposite of uneventful, it actually has three (and a half, if you count the ending) distinct movements instead of the typical "intro -> crescendo -> outro." I feel like it's also a perfect representation of the sound of the album while also managing to be more feral and animalistic than anything off of Hollinndagain or HCtI. the shift from sounding like a fucked up version of a poppier song in the first part to sounding like a minimalist Hollinndagain in the second part is like being stabbed in the gut when you're in the right mindset, and all the while it's making the absolute best use of the album's quiet vocal mixing and emphasis on the icy synth tones and clanging, metallic drums (especially in the last part and outro.) in fact, I'd say that last part reminds me a lot of the articulateness I said the last three tracks off of Sung Tongs have; everything about it feels deliberate yet fragile and almost crystalline, from the barely audible whispered vocals that start it off, to the sluggish and warbling synth accompaniment, to Panda's insane drumming in the background that feel like a distant counterpoint to the slow, quiet nature of everything else going on in the song. it's not only perfectly executed, it epitomizes the sound of the album and executes it perfectly as well, all while taking the typically abrasive sound of the animalistic style that they only barely realized the full potential of throughout their entire discography and making it sound fucking beautiful.

sorry if there were any errors in this wall of text, it's hard to tell while mobileposting
>>66482378
why did you link my post which doesn't even have my ranking in it but not my ranking? also, Danse is insanely hit or miss, it just also happens to have a couple of the best tracks in their discography (specifically Meet the Light Child and Lablakely Dress)
>>
>>66482655
Its been a long time since I've heard it but I enjoyed it from what I remember. I think I liked Surfer's Hymn and Afterburner(?).
>>
>>66482794
Nice, it's one of my favorites along with Sung Tongs and Feels. I just don't get the hate for Danse Manatee
>>
a bit off topic, but does anybody know a good tool for making charts? I'm thinking some sort of relationship diagram program has to exist out there where you can enter in objects and their relationships with other objects and have it automatically diagram them, and I want to use this to easily make a flowchart for AnCo with starting points at multiple albums.
>>
>>66483177
I mean honestly just pick up Photoshop and flowcharts are ez pz
>>
>>66481925
Oh by the way, what do you think about Painting With? I actually really like it, fuck me right?
>>
Tbh either Feels or MPP is my favorite. Sorry for being a fucking pleb guys
>>
>>66481517
Yeah.

>>66481604
It's an amazing track indeed.

>>66481610
Love ST but the thing i always skip is Mouth Wooed Her, sorry.

>>66481981
I tried playing Winter's Love, it's not that hard

>>66482378
I just have my opinion, i don't think it's a terrible album i just don't enjoy it that much. The noise in STGSTV was used in a way that complemented the album very well imo and gave it a more distinct sound. The noise stuff on Danse is just a little bit more off putting. The thing is, no matter what AC album i prefer i still appreciate all of them for what they are.

>>66483271
Not a pleb at all, these are both great albums
>>
>>66483223
I know I can do that, I just want to know if there's something that can automatically take care of how I'd place them spatially with minimal clusterfuckiness
maybe this is something I should ask /g/, it seems like this type of visualization would be something useful to them and I'm sure it's not something too hard to program either
>>66483258
unironically almost as good as Strawberry Jam, leaves CHz in the dust and puts it solidly in a trinity of "core anco" along with MPP and SJ
>>66483304
Mouth Wooed Her is great though ya dingus
>>
>>66483334
*"core late-anco pop albums," not core anco
>>
>>66483271
MPP has just been discussed absolutely to death on here, it's still amazing, but it's a dead horse at this point. not very much left to say about it: it's great, breakthrough, whatever bla bla but it's more fun to talk about old anco
>>
>>66483387
i'm kinda glad i didn't knew about AC back when this was released, because i can appreciate it more easily now, one of my favorite albums for sure
>>
File: e192map2eb9x.jpg (108 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
e192map2eb9x.jpg
108 KB, 1366x768
Just clicked this thread and didn't even read any posts.
Don't need to, because THIS is the objective taste

>Strawberry Jam

Strawberry Jam - 99/100
Here Comes The Indian - 97/100
Person Pitch - 97/100
Merriweather Post Pavilion - 96/100
Fall Be Kind - 96/100
Feels - 92/100
Spirit They're Gone - 88/100
Sleep Cycle - 88/100
Painting With - 85/100
Panda Bear Meets The Grim Reaper - 82/100
Sung Tongs - 75/100
Pullhair Rubeye (reversed) - 75/100
Water Curses - 73/100
Down There - 70/100
Tomboy - 70/100
Centipede Hz - 68/100
Prospect Hummer - 66/100
Campfire Songs - 64/100
People - 64/100
Young Prayer - 60/100
Panda Bear - 60/100
Danse Manatee - 50/100
Hollinndagain - 45/100

>Avey Tare

>Deakin and Panda Bear
>>
>>66483365
What would a core anco trio be like? STGSTV, Sung Tongs, MPP? Captures their stylistic timeline pretty well
>>
>>66483446
If you put Sung Tongs at 96 with MPP and FBK I'd be inclined to agree
>>
>>66483451
Feels instead of Sung Tongs
>>
File: 1455491769198.jpg (41 KB, 328x450) Image search: [Google]
1455491769198.jpg
41 KB, 328x450
Will there ever be a new Animal Collective song featuring acoustic guitars?
>>
>>66483557
Feels feel more like a transition from the folky AnCo to the pop era
>>
>>66483451
those plus Feels at the very least for the sake of getting the full range of their discography other than their early primal stuff. if we're including that other early stuff, I'd say add HCtI if it's supposed to be for somebody new to them, but I'd maybe change that to Hollinndagain if we're talking in a more general sense (not sure though, HCtI feels more "whole" so I'd probably still stick with that.)
>>
>>66478649
>stgstv side project
you're doing it right anon. good on you.
>>
File: snare.gif (21 KB, 220x195) Image search: [Google]
snare.gif
21 KB, 220x195
>>66483451
>>66483557
Early Period (2000 - 2004)
>Here Comes The Indian
>Spirit They've Gone
>Sung Tongs

"CORE" Period (2005 - 2009)
>Feels
>Strawberry Jam
>Merriweather Post Pavilion (and FBK)

Post Period (2010 - Present)
>Centipede Hz
>Painting With
>ODDSAC
>>
>>66483679
You mean that ironically? STGSTV is pretty much Avey's album, so i usually think of it as a side project but i can be taken into AnCo's canon.
>>
>>66483697
>not dm-hcti, st-people, sj-present
>>
>>66483754
this, though I'd say it could be argued that SJ is mid anco
>>
Anyone else want Anco to do an all-out prog rock album

I know it's a pipe dream but they've shown flashes, especially on Spirit
>>
>>66483745
no, i'm serious. i don't really consider it anco, and i don't think it should be. it's the culmination of a project avey had worked on by himself for years, with none of the group writing that is the hallmark of anco. they started that the summer after spirit's release. that is when I consider anco to have formed.
>>
>>66483788
I do just because it's an area they haven't explored yet and I don't want them to get stuck on doing poppy stuff forever (even though that's probably what'll happen)
>>66483802
not that guy but this is 100% correct
>>
>>66483745
>>66483802
But Panda's contribution, the drumming, is like 50% of the album and one of the main reasons it's so good
>>
File: 1468715526645.png (9 KB, 470x454) Image search: [Google]
1468715526645.png
9 KB, 470x454
>that feel when you enjoyed painting with so much, even going so far to say you loved it, but everyone else seems to think it was trash and meme music
>>
>>66483867
his drumming is phenomenal and it wouldn't have been as good without him, but it was still all written by Avey with only mild stylistic influence from him. saying he was a co-creator in it like that is the same as saying any studio drummer hired to play a part is, he was just really fucking good.
>>66483887
it does sound like Rugrats, but in the best way possible
>>
>>66483867
I agree, i love Panda's drumming too, that's why i don't care whether it should or shouldn't be on AnCo's canon, it's up to you
>>
>>66483867
I don't have anything against crediting panda, but acting like he had an equal hand in the album's creation is just being defensive, anon. stgstv would've come to be made with or without him, i can say with almost complete certainty. it wasn't panda's project, he just lent it his effort. deak did similar with Young Prayer, except it's obviously a lot harder to point anything out and say "that's him right there." i respect panda's contribution, but that's not enough to make the album animal collective to me.
>>
memeber ranking as of now

Deakin >> Panda Bear = Avey Tare >>>> Geologist
>>
>>66483965
>Deak at the top
"no"
Panda >= Avey >= Geo > Deak
>>
>>66483951
and btw, it's not even like a "it's avey's album, it deserves to be recognized as such," kind of thing, it's just that conflating stgstv with anco's early work just sits wrong with me. they just seem so obviously like entirely different projects, just at the hands of some of the same minds.
>>
>tfw Avey deleted his Instagram and I never got to ask him anything
I only got into them recently and I have a lot of things I would love to ask him. What a shame
>>
>>66483985
Deakin literally just proved he was better than everyone else
>>
>>66484006
Wait, why did he deleted it?
>>
>>66483965
>>66483985
Autists spotted, objective correct ranking as of July 2016:

Panda > Deakin > Avey > Geologist

Reasoning:

PBVSGR is great, Crosswords EP is good
Sleep Cycle is nice but Panda has more and better content
Avey has been dead for a while and PW isn't that good
Geologist has literally never done anything solo (a huge pity) and PW is mostly of his doing
>>
>>66484006
why did he delet it? that's kinda sad desu
>>66484012
but anon, the only especially good tracks off of Sleep Cycle were Golden Chords and Footy, and all it really proved was that Deak's sound isn't very different from generic indie rock most of the time. he's the least unique member by far.
>>66484061
you literally just took my ranking and moved Deak to second place
also
>PBvsGR is great
>Slasher Flicks and Painting With aren't good
what the fuck
>>
>>66482378
It was near the bottom on mine, but i still consider it a 8 out of 10.

Its amazing but there other albums are better.
>>
>>66484061
No matter what you think of the members i still think that they play to their strenghts really well together.
>>
>>66484120
>>66484038
I have no idea, I assume because lil redditors were spamming him with questions

:'(
>>
When do you guys think they will release their next album?
>>
my current favorite is probably HCTI but Ive been listening to MPP so much because its the best summer album ever. my favorite member is avey because I love his singing. I honestly haven't listened to PW because I know I'm going to be let down but /mu/ makes it sound horrible. I'm not sure it can be worse than CHz though.
>>
>>66484391
>>
File: tumblr_nnyra4gxWn1rg1nsqo1_1280.jpg (445 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nnyra4gxWn1rg1nsqo1_1280.jpg
445 KB, 1200x800
best album
>STGSTV
albums rank
>STGSTV
>MPP
>Sung Tongs
>Feels
>ODDSAC
>Campfire Songs
>Hollindagain
>Painting With
>Danse Manatee
>Strawberry Jam
>HCTI
>CHz
EP rank
>Prospect Hummer
>People
>Water Curses
>FBK
>TTG
>MBTBT
sideproject
>Sleep Cycle
members
>Geo
>Avey
>Panda
>Deakin (still amazing just doesn't contribute much to AC)
>>
>>66484403
go in to painting with open-minded, I found that the albums high points were enough for it to become one of my favourites
>>
>>66484403
just listen to it, don't expect something like their other albums, it's good
>>
Geo would have an extremely successful solo career, and literally structures each song, AC would be nothing without him.
>>
Strawberry jam is my fav followed by merriweather and i love painting with. Also Panda Bears album Person Pitch is one of my favorite albums of all time! Love seeing an AC thread they're pretty underappreciated in my local scene. Saw them on their most recent tour and it was nutso
>>
>>66484909
>>66485026
alright guys, you gave me the courage to listen to PW tomorrow.
>>
some of Geo's solo work
https://soundcloud.com/anmlcollective/stretching-songs-for-spring
>>
>>66486840
this is fucking great
>>
>>66486840
holy shit!
>>
poopoo
>>
>>66482378
Get fucked. You just want to act like you think Danse Manatee is great because you want to feel patrician. Patrician or not, Danse Manatee was an uneven album. There are some great songs on there, but they're mixed in with a lot of underdeveloped tracks that never really got at anything amazing. And I think Here Comes the Indian is one of their best albums, so it's not like I'm just discounting Danse Manatee because of the experimental elements. I think you just can't fully absorb music so you only hear it for the style it's in, and favor styles over others instead of looking at it through how well the album gets at what it's trying to achieve. Danse Manatee was their first attempt at translating their early approach to music onto a record, and they got better at it as the early 2000's progressed.
>>
>>66488089
rude
>>66488341
angery
>>
Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished - 10/10
Danse Manatee - 6.5/10
Hollinndagain - 8/10
Campfire Songs - 10/10
Here Comes the Indian - 9.5/10
Sung Tongs - 9/10
Prospect Hummer - 9/10
Feels - 10/10
People - 7.5/10
Strawberry Jam - 8.5/10
Water Curses - 9/10
Merriweather Post Pavilion - 9.5/10
Fall Be Kind - 9/10
ODDSAC - 9.5/10
Keep - 6/10
Transverse Temporal Gyrus - 9/10
Centipede Hz - 5.5/10
Monkey Been to Burntown - 3/10
9:30 - 7/10
Painting With - 4.5/10

I know I'm probably going to get shit for giving Campfire Songs a ten, but whatever, fuck you, I don't give a fuck. Also, note that Transverse Temporal Gyrus was recorded at the time of ODDSAC and is basically a companion EP to that, so it's not like Animal Collective had a post-ODDSAC triumph or anything.
>>
>>66488430
No dude, haven't you heard? Campfire Songs is in right now.
>>
>>66478635
kek
>>
File: HCTI.jpg (146 KB, 1024x898) Image search: [Google]
HCTI.jpg
146 KB, 1024x898
>>66478448
>Here Comes The Indian

>HCTI
>Strawberry Jam
>Spirit
>Feels
>MPP
>CHz tied with PW
>Campfire Songs
>Hollinndagain
>Sung Tongs
>Danse still a great album

>EPs
>Prospect Hummer
>Water Curses
>Fall Be Kind
>People

Geo is the most underrated i'd say. I hope we get a solo album from him someday

Person Pitch and Sleep Cycle are my favorite solo releases. Slasher Flicks is pretty underrated
>>
>>66489151
You should listen to Sung Tongs again, especially since you like HCTI and Feels so much. Feel like it fits in well with those two
>>
>>66489191
I love Sung Tongs, I just can't say that I like it more than any of the albums I ranked higher personally. Visiting Friends is one of their best songs though imo
>>
>>66489235
listen to it again
>>
>>66489258
I'll listen to you again b
>>
So, what was your favorite song from Sleep Cycle?

>inb4 anything other than Footy
>>
>>66489427
Golden Chords, Just Am, Shadow Mine, Footy, Seed Song and Good House in no particular order
>>
>>66489427
Good House is the perfect psych-pop song but Footy is a close second. I sorta hate Just Am to be honest.
>>
File: pepe weed.jpg (32 KB, 230x230) Image search: [Google]
pepe weed.jpg
32 KB, 230x230
>favorite album
STGSTV

>rank the albums

1. STGSTV
2. ST
3. SJ
4. HctI
5. MPP
6. Feels
7/8. CHz/PW
9. Danse Manatee
10. CS

>favorite member
Avey

>favorite sideprojects
Panda s/t
>>
>>66478603
:o
panda is beautiful
>>
>BRRRRAIN FREEEEZE
>>
>forced meme hole that is /mu/
SHUT IT DOWN
https://m.reddit.com/r/AnimalCollective/comments/4fzr2g/the_theme_song_to_fanboy_and_chum_chum_sounds/
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-_1wOxpFBs
>>
>favorite album
MPP

>rank the albums
MPP > STGSTV > Campfire Songs > Strawberry Jam > Sung Tongs > Feels > Centipede HZ > HTCI > Painting With = Danse Manatee

>favorite member
Avey desu, but Panda is a qt

>favorite sideprojects
Haven't listened to a lot of side projects, but I liked Person Pitch.
>>
Bumping cause this was a great thread
>>
>rank the albums
all of them > Painting With
>>
>>66492281
OP here, i'm glad i created this thread, love talkin with my AnCo buds
>>
>>66490762
>>66490794
This is a good meme, though
>>
File: 1466651051763.png (72 KB, 285x271) Image search: [Google]
1466651051763.png
72 KB, 285x271
>>66478635
>fan boy chum chum tier pop music
>>
File: hz.jpg (13 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
hz.jpg
13 KB, 225x225
am i the only one that thinks that Chz is by far their worst? I almost get nauseous listening to it because it's just so bloated and overproduced to the point where the music has no emotional impact at all. I seriously can't find one emotional moment on this entire album
>>
>>66492689
What do you mean by overproduced?
>>
>>66493341
it's just so packed with synths and sounds that it becomes a sludge that achieves nothing. On previous albums every sound had a purpose and did something unique to the track. On Chz the fucking transitions between tracks are the most interesting parts
>>
>>66493389
Eh, i always tought the overall "schizophrenic" sounds only added to the kind of colorful sound they were going for, i don't know.
>>
>>66493498
the sound doesn't evoke any colors or images for me at all but i guess i'm just bitter
>>
>>66492689
It's their worst but it's still pretty good. The end of applesauce, and all of new town burnout and amanita are pretty emotional as far as I'm concerned.
>>
>>66493555
Moonjock is an pretty good clusterfucked rush to the brain and Wide Eyed is sorta cool with Deak's voice and the ridiculous instrumental. I find none of it emotional tho
>>
>>66493609
Different strokes. But yeah, definitely their worst. Have no clue how Painting With was received worse, I think they made a big step in the right direction.
>>
>>66493609
I think if you're trying to find something genuinely emotional, i think it's better to go off straight to STGSTV imo. If i want to listen to something that's blissfully happy and all over the place, CHz is the choice.
>>
>>66493638
STGSTV and MPP are my favorite Anco because they're just so genuinely beautiful and overwhelmingly emotional
>>
>>66479574
I think PW is one of their worst studio releases ever and I had a 10/10 time at the show. It's SO fun live, and the PW songs honestly really work live. Also Alvin Row, Loch Raven, Daily Routine, Bees. Do not miss it for the world.
>>
>>66493658
These are my favorite ones too. Feels is also an emotionalalbum, but it grabs you more if you're falling in love. To me STGSTV is the only actual SAD AnCo album, been listening to it nonstop ever since i was getting on terms with leaving college and doing some other course. The themes of childhood can really crush you.
>>
File: BOI.png (344 KB, 421x543) Image search: [Google]
BOI.png
344 KB, 421x543
>>66478448
how fucking high you gotta be to unironically like their shit
>>
>>66492689

it's honestly one of their only albums that does anything for me anymore
>>
>>66493701
STG is very complex emotionally, it deals with leaving childhood and that sense of a certain magic being "gone" or "vanishing". It's melancholic about the loss of that magic but it's also magical in it's own right. It's both expressionistic and impressionistic at the same time because it deals with the loss of something but it also creates that thing. Does any of this make sense?
>>
>all these bait shitposts trying to derail the thread but nobody's taking the bait and we're somehow having decent music discussion on /mu/
feels good man

>>66492468
it's been unfunny since the day after the thread it originated happened
>>66492689
you aren't in the slightest, it's easily their worst to me. not for the reasons you listed though; I actually don't mind the messy electronic sound of it unlike most, I just think half of it is uninteresting and mediocre from a songwriting perspective. I couldn't even tell you what half the songs sound like, they're completely forgettable. still has a few pretty good songs though.
>>66493752
what about it does so much for you? genuinely curious, I'm interested to hear.
>>
>>66493765
Yes, that's what i think about it too. I think everything the album expresses can be very relatable at the point of early adulthood, it even makes more sense when you read about the context in which Avey wrote most of the songs. It truly is a once in a lifetime record, i don't think the band can reproduce the same sound as this album again, i mean they're all happy, with their families now, i guess that also gets expressed in how happier the later albums are
>>
>>66483697
core is sung tongs - merriweather
>>
>>66493998
It feels like a perfect expression of something that is very hard to express. The amateurish production and performances on this album helps in giving it a very raw, authentic and uniqe soul.
>>
>>66493972
yeah most of the songs are just so forgettable. man what a horrible album
>>
File: 1464013516813.jpg (90 KB, 335x438) Image search: [Google]
1464013516813.jpg
90 KB, 335x438
>>66483446
>Prospect Hummer 66/100

And I thought we could be pals with Jam at first
>>
>>66494105
>tfw we will never get an emotional lo-fi folky noise pop album from AnCo
>>
>>66494201
the thing about anco is that they always evolve their sound radically and then produce some of their best work yet with that sound. After Spirit we got Danse. After MPP we got Chz. I still haven't given up on their journey and i hope they'll do something amazing with where they are now
>>
>>66493972
about what chz does for me: killer opener; panda songs that don't annoy me now; a seemingly endless amount of sonic detail; top avey vocals, top panda drumming; really great lyrics
>>
>>66481981
hahaha same. that song is hard to move your fingers to initially, just keep practicing, and try to do some shortcuts with your fingers if you can't get it. just doing practice sessions for like 10-15 minutes at a time for a few days should be enough to get off of downy level.
>>
>>66494177
if you're sane you wouldn't be able to be friends due to their atrocious bottom four as well
>>
You know, I love Danse Manatee, but it's so unpopular and considered shitty by all of their fans that I never talk about it. I just love the super heavy atmosphere and traces of melody underneath the surface, and how it flows so well. I can understand everyone liking their pop stuff more, but out of all their music it's the one release I can go back to and still find something new to enjoy.
>>
>>66493998
What happened to Avey?
>>
STGSTV and Feels are leagues ahead of their other stuff
>>
>favorite album
Strawberry Jam
>rank the albums
OK Computer > The Bends > Kid A > In Rainbows > Moon Shaped Pool > Hail to the Thief > Amnesiac > King of Limbs > Pablo Honey
>favorite member
Deakin
>favorite sideprojects
Sleep Cycle, Down There
>>
Does someone know where that picture comes from?
>>
File: animal-collective deak.jpg (98 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
animal-collective deak.jpg
98 KB, 612x612
>>66495603
>>
File: Animal+Collective .jpg (57 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
Animal+Collective .jpg
57 KB, 500x333
>>66495615
>>
>>66495603
>>66495615
EXPLAIN THIS NOW
>>
File: Animal+Collective.jpg (37 KB, 465x379) Image search: [Google]
Animal+Collective.jpg
37 KB, 465x379
>>66495639
>>
>>66495642
Disney world paris and Disney World Florida.
>>
File: 1390698299084.jpg (214 KB, 1024x767) Image search: [Google]
1390698299084.jpg
214 KB, 1024x767
>>66495615
This is clearly a different day than
>>66495603
>>66495639

It's just them at a water park.

They're the world's most fun band, don't you know?
>>
File: friends of animal collective.png (2 MB, 1199x900) Image search: [Google]
friends of animal collective.png
2 MB, 1199x900
Have you listened to the official Friends of Animal Collective chart?
>>
>favorite album
Strawberry Jam
>rank the albums
Strawberry Jam and the album with the fairies are good. MPP sux
>favorite member
I just found out Deakin isn't in this band
>favorite side projects
I prefer Grizzly Bear to Panda Bear
>>
>>66495680
is this for a magazine or something
>>
>>66495714
no, but do you have the titles of them? also, how are they related to Grouper and why isn't anything by Black Dice on there?
>>
>>66495147
From what i've read, college life and moving to NY was really a thing that affected him personally.
>>
>>66492340
Wrong
>>
>>66496142
Where are the Black Dice fans here
>>
>>66497591
Hey

More of a Gang Gang Dance fan personally, but they're both excellent.
>>
>>66478448
>anco
>good
>>
>>66497591
I sampled their first two albums and thought they sounded pretty good, but then just after I put them in my library my decent headphones broke, and I'm certainly not giving those my first listen on some shitty apple earbuds.
I just mentioned them because I know they're the closest related band to AnCo other than Slasher Flicks, Jane, and Terrestrial Tones.
>>
>>66497602
Haven't heard of this band, are they also noise related?

>>66497683
Yep, if i'm not mistaken Avey has a project with one of the members
>>
>>66497683
oh, and now that I think about it that chart doesn't have Ariel Pink either, who's almost as close to them as Black Dice. that chart is missing a lot of important stuff.
>>66497720
that's what Terrestrial Tones is
>>
>>66479574
dont go we dont need more fags like u
>>
>>66497720
Kind of noisy, but in reality just really catchy experimental pop. Hard to describe so just listen to this until you love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tl3e1WIU-8
>>
>MPP

MPP
SJ
FBK
Feels
STGSTV
Sung Tongs
Campfire Songs
Water Curses
Prospect Hummer
Painting With
Hollindagin
DM
CHz

>Panda

Person Pitch

>>66479174
Summertime Clothes
Fireworks
For Reverend Green
Alvin Row
I Think I Can
>>
>>66497791
Holy fuck I am retarded, HTCI goes between Sung Tongs and Campfire Songs
>>
>>66497726
it does, the doldrums is on the chart

>>66497740
this sounds pretty cool actually
>>
>>66496325
Does he ever talk about it in depth?
>>
>>66481479
he made the album when he moved to portugal and I think all he could take with him was his samplers.
>>
>>66498370
I don't know, i've never seen any interview or anything about it, that's usually writen in bios and stuff that people gather based on a lot of different places, so i can't say much. I also read that the band was under a lot of stress during the recording of HTCI because of their routine and the lack of money, which is why the record is so wild and chaotic.
>>
>>66495714
some names would be nice
>>
>>66498453
Didn't they do so much acid in the HCTI era they pretty much can't remember anything?
>>
>>66498707
i don't remember hearing anything about acid but I know they made an early mix of hcti without vocals called ark, that they don't even remember making.
>>
>>66498707
i think that was before anco entirely
>>
>>66488969
Okay, well whatever, I've been saying it's one of their best albums for years and I always got shit for it. I'm probably going to start getting called a poser now.
>>
>>66492689
I don't think it's bad, it's just not for me, i feel the same way about SJ desu
>>
>>66484874
objectively right
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>66486840
The is amazing, why won't he just release an EP or something
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.