[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
LET'S SETTLE THIS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5
BURZUM or MAYHEM?

Why?
>>
>>66476967
Mayhem. Live in Leipzig is better than anything Burzum has released. The shitty synths kill his stuff for me.
>>
>>66476989
I hope you're not talking about the albums he released when he was allowed access to one bad synth in prison for about a year.
>>
>>66477051
No, I mean the synth sounds on all of his albums. It just sounds very dated and makes otherwise good albums like hvis sound very underwhelming.
>>
>>66476967
I think the question "who would win in a fight: Burzum or Mayhem?" was answered long ago
>>
Mayhem as a band, burzum as ambiental metal pieces, too different, i prefer burzum but mayhem is great
>>
Mayhem

Make some great first wave that transfers to second wave black metal with Deathcrush.

Created the quintessential black metal album with DMDS.

Tried experimenting far more with the black metal formula than anyone else around that time with Grand Deckaration Of War (this would be huge for later bands like maudlin of the Well.)

Create a technical monstrosity in Chimera showing that black metal can pull off technicality well, too. This would be huge for bands like Deathspell Omega.

Then they came out with Ordo Ad Chao which is still kinda unique sounding in being this slow demented sounding...thing. Great usage of Attila's unique vocals.

Their latest release is pretty generic compared to the rest of the releases above, but still solid attempt by an old as shit band.

Burzum made:

Shitty minimalist inspired black metal for people who don't know shit about minimalism.

Shitty ambient synth music. Like shit they aren't even good dungeon synth guys either. How can you expect people to take you seriously with Fisher Price synths?

Then make folky black metal cuz Varg doesn't realize that the style's been done greatly to hell and back by other bands while he was in prison.

Then he tries ambient style shit again, but a halfassed version of stuff guys like Urfaust do so well.
>>
>>66477408
Literally this.
>>
>>66477408
Or maybe Varg was just on a superior musical and creative sphere and wanted black metal to trascend way past the hurr durr satan bullcrap that turboautist edgelords (e.g. euronymous) circlejerked about.
>>
>>66477080
not really
Varg wouldn't win in a fight with Hellhammer
>>
>>66477617
That's great if he did. But if he couldn't make the music to back it up, it's a moot point.
>>
Burzum, hvis lyset tar oss is better than anything mayhem ever made.
>>
Burzum, I just prefer it
>>
mayhem is all cold and militaristic and metallic, burzum's more dungeons and dragons campfire stories
>>
>>66476967
Mayhem pioneered it all and managed to stay creative and inspired in light of many negative events surrounding them. Varg came up with a few great songs but all of his albums are inconsistent, and shit like Filosofem led to the atmoshit wave that killed black metal.
>>
>>66477865
Filosofem was great
>>
>>66477408
Yeah, this, said it much better than I could. Mayhem were visionaries, Varg was a trend-hopping hack.
>>
>>66477891
I can appreciate the sound of it and that it was different, but it would have been better as some kind of pretentious proof-of-concept/art project than marketed as an album of actual quality. It's 90% a e s t h e t i c, 10% songwriting, and the "ambient" track is a hilarious joke that shows how uninformed black metal fans are of music outside of metal.
>>
>>66477617
Euronymous had outgrown most of his edgelord shit by the time of DMDS anyways. Varg wasn't even doing anything in 1986-87. Plus, Varg mostly just wrote songs about muh LOTR anyways.
>>
>>66477941
Well to be honest, there are only six tracks on that album and only the first three are good. Gebrechlickeit 1 and 2 where meh and that 25 minute long ambient track Varg can shove up his ass, I sat through it all waiting for some great riff or anything but nope
>>
>>66476967
Ulver
>>
Burzum you fucking nerds. Created atmoshit as a whole, and heavily influenced Dungeon Synth and DSBM.

Mayhem was better with Dead as their vocalist but Varg is far superior in terms of musical talent and insanity.
>>
Burzum, even though it went to shit shortly after the good output.
>>
>>66477617
This tbqh
>>
>>66477990
>>66477941
>the ambient song was shit! It didn't have any riffs!
Somebody isn't going to be rundganging um any transzendentale saule der singulars with that shitty attitude
>i-it didn't have a riff!
Fucking pathetic i kek at you, how the fuck does having a riff or not determine if it's a good song?
>>
Nigga did you even hear Deathcrush???

That said, Burzum paved the way for DBSM
>>
Mayhem. Their post-90s albums are actually good, especially Grand Declaration.
>>
Atilla sounds like a gay autistic /mu/ browser such as myself on De Mysteriis. Live in Liezpeig is the best Mayhem album, even if most of it is just static.
>>
Dead mayhem was best mayhem.
>>
>>66480256
de mysteriis has the best black metal vocals period though i mean
>>
File: 1456958090061.png (126 KB, 308x302) Image search: [Google]
1456958090061.png
126 KB, 308x302
>>66481508
T H E
B
A
I
T
S
>>
>>66481535
nah, i really think that
>>
what the fuck is dbsm?

do you mean dsbm?
>>
>>66481576
Fair enough. I usually prefer vocals that are screamed and much higher pitched.
>>
File: Licker.gif (982 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
Licker.gif
982 KB, 500x281
Burzum - A couple of songs that I like

Mayhem - A couple of albums that I like
>>
>>66481618
drone blackened saxophone metal
>>
Mayhem

But, I still prefer Emperor above those two.
>>
>>66476967
I never see Bathory mentioned in these shitty threads; though that's a good thing.

So, Bathory. Better than the two together
>>
File: 1468313338095.png (148 KB, 222x293) Image search: [Google]
1468313338095.png
148 KB, 222x293
>>66481652
>>
>>66477051
i hated that shit
>>
File: tumblr_mw09olTRMa1s8845no1_500.jpg (40 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mw09olTRMa1s8845no1_500.jpg
40 KB, 500x332
>>66476989

i agree with this completely, live in leipzig with dead on vocals is a masterpiece!
>>
>>66477985
>Euronymous had outgrown most of his edgelord shit by the time of DMDS
>Puts a picture of his friend's suicide on an album cover 4 years later and claims it was for the glory of trve blvck mvtvl
>>
>>66480141
It's shit not because it lacks riffs, it's shit because it's shitty hackish ambient by a metal guy that knows nothing about the genre.
>>66483171
Euro was murdered two years after Dead's suicide.
>>
>>66483203
by varg also

from what ive read euronymous deserved it
>>
>>66483203
>a metal guy that knows nothing about the genre
Just because yu don't like Varg's interpretation of the black metal sound doesn't mean he didn't know what he was doing. He was into techno and stuff at the time and felt that the edgy blackened thrash style was getting stagnant (which it totally was).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3V4No2kj_Y is a quintessential second-wave song: evil riffs, harsh production, emphasis on atmosphere. Varg was ahead of the curve with his atmospheric BM and fusion of long ambient into otherwise harsh music
>>
>>66483309
>>66483309
ti>>66483309ps fe>>66483309dira
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm4n3BOPXbg

tfw this is vargs side project

how does it make you feel
>>
y all da burzum h8ers here
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.