[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is classical music really that great? seems boring to me and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: Portrait_of_Friedrich_Nietzsche.jpg (222 KB, 600x696) Image search: [Google]
Portrait_of_Friedrich_Nietzsche.jpg
222 KB, 600x696
is classical music really that great? seems boring to me and don't see how learning about music theory and crap would make it sound better
>>
Learning theory doesn't "make it sound better," it gives you the tools for further analysis. It does little for enjoyment but a lot for appreciation.
>>
File: Gud.jpg (38 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
Gud.jpg
38 KB, 480x270
>>66460073
Classical certainly has its merits as a musical medium . For many classical is a taste acquired over time.

Also stop posting meme philosophers.
>>
File: 1466404319194.jpg (55 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1466404319194.jpg
55 KB, 720x720
>>66460073
Classical music is just like any other music. There's shitty rock that you don't listen to, there's your favorite band that you jerk off into /mu/. You like Run The Jewels, but you don't care much for To Pimp a Butterfly.

Same thing with classical, there's some stuff you like, some you don't. Composers that are typically better, composers that you fucking hate
>>
My advice for getting into classical music is to start with piano pieces.
>>
>>66460073
There's some cool shit out there, but classical is sort of an acquired taste. I took a history of western art and music class in college to cover a humanities requirement, and ended up with a much greater appreciation of classical. Check out some Bach organ fugues, then move on to some Beethoven piano concertos, then maybe the 7th, and finish it out with Stravinsky's Le Sacre de Printemps. That'll give you a brief rundown of some of the classical that I like. I don't really care for a lot of music from the actual academic classical period like Mozart and shit, and prefer stuff from the romantic period and on. Except for the Bach. For some reason I have a hardon for Bach, especially his organ music, and especially Fugues.
>>
>>66460651
pleb
>>
I am inexperienced with classical as well, but Impressionist stuff seems a bit more accessible to me, I dunno...

You'll probably recognize this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvFH_6DNRCY
>>
>>66460073
>is classical music really that great? seems boring to me and don't see how learning about music theory and crap would make it sound better
It's only for those who have ears to hear
>>
>>66461008
Watch who you call pleb, servi.
>>
>>66461401
hopeless pleb
>>
>>66460651
Well that's shit advice, you should probably kill yourself. Maybe with a piano?
>>
>>66460073
Learning music theory isn't going to make you like it more. I'm going to go out on a limb here (since this is /mu) that you actually critically listen to music. As in, you put some sort of effort into actually actively listening to the music, as opposed to just sort of playing it in the background. If that isn't you, well then there's probably no way you would ever come to enjoy classical music. However if you aren't a fucking pleb and actually enjoy listening to music, then maybe it just isn't your thing. Learning theory isn't going to change that.
>>
I like classical music and think it is good because some old white people who agree with a larger group of old white people who got the idea from a large historical consensus of old white people told me to think that
>>
It all comes down to what you like and don't like
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpOtuoHL45Y
>>
>>66460651
You're an idiot.
>>
If you think classical is boring, keep looking. Classical art music is extremely diverse, and it is powerful. You might be surprised - my favorite genres are experimental, abrasive genres like post-bop jazz and early post-hardcore, so when I really dug into classical music I was surprised to find that the stuff I am most moved by is baroque composers like Vivaldi, JS Bach, Corelli, and Gabrieli.
>>
Stay away from all German composers and the 4 honorary Germans: Berlioz, Liszt, Tchaikovsky, and Stravinsky.
>>
>>66463413
grr white people grrr
>>
File: aidsskrillex.jpg (44 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
aidsskrillex.jpg
44 KB, 500x500
>>66463413
>>
>>66465329
Grainger master race

Delius and Grieg forever
>>
>>66465684
>Grainger
Hermione?
>>
>>66465329
also, mozart and bethoven are not german
>>
>>66460570
>meme philosophers
it's not Dawkins
>>
>>66465853

>Dawkins

>philosopher

?
>>
>genuinely like tchaikovsky 1812 overture, dvoraks nws, edvard griegs hall of the mountain king,
>tfw these are all mainstream meme songs used in pop culture all the time and i just look like a pleb
>>
>>66460961
See, I've never been big on Bach. Not gonna shit on you for liking him, but to me Bach was always kinda meh.

I used to think Beethoven was OK but overrated. As I get older, I rediscover his brilliance again and again. Otherwise I like Brahms, Dvorak, Satie.

A modern composer for piano pieces that is fucking brilliant is Emahoy Tsegué-Maryam Guèbrou, a 92-year old Ethiopian nun. Check her out.
>>
>>66465329
If you aren't memeing, would you care to explain why?
>>
>>66466573
it's a troll from /classical/, don't waste your time
>>
>>66466573

German music is based on sterile formalism covered in a paper-thin layer of hysterical trinkets: jigging, wailing, banging, etc.

Most German compositions would barely surpass the scope of your average bagatelle if you take away the redundant repetitions and the clamor of the orchestra. Except bagatelles are melodious for better of for worse, whereas tunes are an abstract concept down in the bog. It almost has negative value.

Fuck German music.
>>
>>66460073
It's probably boring to you because Hollywood movie trained your mind to see it as background music. Something to be ignored. This will take some time to undo but it's awarding if you do.
>>
>>66467094
Are you from /pol/?
>>
>>66465684
High schooler.
>>
>>66467016
I guess so. There are quite a lot of characters here. There's a guy that claims that he's a classical musician that defends Grimes and pop music in general. What's even more interesting is that he claimed that he was educated at a conservatory.
>>
>>66467127
I think /pol/ would be too germanic for someone like that. They tend to sympathise with the volk, there's very few elitists there. It's not a "high culture" board. I've seen them dismiss the high culture boards as leftists (though a true elitist wouldn't care for politics or the volk).
>>
>>66467094
Do Austrians come under that? Mozart seems to combine Italian melody and grace with those aspects you list.
>>
>>66467094
Beethoven was the dirtiest and the most iconoclastic motherfucker of his times
>>
>>66465837
Mozart is not german, but Memehoven certainly is.
>>
>>66468414
>>66469244
If you two are not some edgy /pol/ 14 year olds, then please explain what is so wrong with Beethoven and German composers in general. Racism isn't a valuable argument.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.