[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so I've been trying to get into death grips for a while.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4332x3342) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4332x3342
so I've been trying to get into death grips for a while. I see the appeal of their music. lots of energy probably sounds great live etc. but I want to know why /mu/ LOVES them so much.

what exactly is it about death grips that's makes them your favorite artist? I feel like people either love them or don't care for it at all.
>>
>>66458833
Because it's cool music for cool kids like me,
>>
they aren't by any means my favorite artist but I really like them for their unique beats and use of delay in ride's vocals

idk it just sounds cool as fuck
>>
In short, their music is abrasive, but catchy as fuck.

Their weirder songs are their best ones, though.
>>
does it really sound best live?

the way they make their music they seem like a studio band
>>
>>66459412
No the live sound is pretty bad actually. When I saw them in Pomona they basically just played their studio songs through the speakers, complete with lyrics and all, and Ride shouted over the pre-recorded vocals and Zach soloed over them too. So they basically just solo over their studio stuff live.

I have no clue what the fuck Flatlander was actually doing during the show.
>>
>>66459440
You notice how flatlander moves very sharply live? He's so animated but not in a good way. Ride and Zach Hill are going nuts while he's typing
>>
I liked their first few albums because they felt authentically raw and dirty and ready to beat some ass, but still really in touch with the modern world, very smart and deliberate without trying to be something they weren't.
>>
>>66459412
>>66459412

The appeal of them live is the energy they bring and give to the audience. Being in their crowd is pure chaos and you lose yourself in the madness
>>
>>66459516
is he even doing anything? looks like he's pretended to do something but really just bobbing his head
>>
>>66458833
They are one of the only unique and interesting movements in music right now, shadowed only by vaporwave which prety much died as soon as it appeared.
>>
>>66459537
I doubt he's doing anything but cuing up the next tracks desu
>>
>>66459537
>all Andy does it press next at the right time
>>
>>66459663
>>66459591
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzrtncicpc
>>
>>66459542
Vaporwave isn't really dead, it just became a meme and still has stuff going on.
>>
>>66458833
They're try hard just like the band
>>66458900
Most people that call themselves cool aren't at all and you sound like a beta if not sarcasm typical death grips fan btw
>>
>>66458833
They are the embodiment of not giving a fuck. Personally it gets mind numbing listening to them too much at a time. There's only 3 good tracks on Exmilitary, TMS, NLDW, GP, and NOTM each. Everything else on those albums for me is superfluous as fuck. For instance: The only things I listen to off of Exmilitary are Beware, Death Heated, and Blood Creepin'. They are the essence of that album, which is about empowerment. The only album I can listen to in full is JD because I love how it is all mixed.
>>
They are so forward thinking. I can listen to a song by them so many times and it doesn't really lose it's impact. There's always something new to hear, or a string of lyrics to slave over and try to understand, but in the end you will still have questions. They seem to be able to think in a way that never ceases to baffle me, so I guess I've been trying to understand them this whole time while they progressively became even more esoteric. They even reference this in a couple songs. It's their art and it has me hooked. Plus it sounds real good.
>>
>>66459764
lmao Andy's such a god damn legend
>>
File: 13-refuse23.jpg (48 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
13-refuse23.jpg
48 KB, 640x480
>>66458833
simply a meme that went too far. there's a reason this band is only widely popular on 4chan and reddit
>>
>>66460342
So you never liked them so your opinion isn't really valid here?
>>
>>66460196
This.

I don't normally like to city Fantano and his vids but in one of his DG vids (I think Money Store review?) he actually did a really damn good job of explaining the appeal of the band and how Ride's persona is such a departure from the typical gangster stuff - on Exmilitary and TMS he really felt like a man on the edge, fueled by drug cocktails and probably living in the ruins of a burned out building.
>>
>>66458833
Guide to Death Grips
>I've Seen Footage
>On GP
>Spikes
>Three Bedrooms in a Good Neighborhood
>All of Bottomless Pit
>All of Money Store
>Some of Jenny Death
That's it
>>
>>66460474
This. For a newbie listener that is.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.