[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is rock dead?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 800x272) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 800x272
Is rock dead?
>>
dying, yes. honestly i think it was epitomized upon its conception, all the variations that have occured since are just that
>>
In the top charts it is. However, it's pretty alive in most places. The common radio listener has too short of an attention span to listen to any form of rock. However, there is a degradation of quality in the underground scene. All we can do is hope for a new ground breaking band to bring it back.
>>
>>66456561
I was considering to start work on an EP. I was met at a crossroads because I can produce Frank Ocean style RnB/pop and I like that but I think I would rather write distorted noise pop. What should I do? Make something I really like or something that will get me appeal.
>>
>>66456663
Do both you faggot
Rock and pop aren't opposed, make your guitar music artistically fulfilling and accessible at the same time
Everyone's doing lo-fi noise pop anyways, learn to differentiate yourself or you'll be just another schmoe on bandcamp with his trendy hipster garbage.
>>
>>66456663
I can't tell you what to do. However, I think that you should do what you want to do. It's not fun to be a slave of the industry.
>>
>>66456734
What styles do you recommend. I have a good ear for pop melodies and I also find textures and experimentation to be interesting but I really don't wanna be left behind in a field of hipsters.
>>
>>66456773
I don't really know. That's for you to decide. You won't end up being unique if you try to fit yourself into new indie trends.
I'm sort of at a similar stage as you, and when I think "where do I go now?" I try to get into a new genre and learn what makes that type of music tick, why it is the way it is stylistically, it's place in the history of muskc, etc. Kind of like thinking like a music critic or historian. You end up learning a lot by listening to tons of different shit.
>>
>>66456886
This makes me beg the questions. Can you still be great even if you are not unique. And how does one find their style.
>>
>>66456941
>Can you still be great even if you are not unique.
Yeah, I'd say so.
>And how does one find their style.
Everybody works differently, but what I like to do is view creativity like a game. Take a convention and imagine how you could do the opposite of that. Or maybe intentionally limit yourself to a few elements. Or just try stuff to see if it's worth doing.
But I wouldn't know exactly. You can do great work in existing styles, but I find it much more fun to try to go against what everyone else is doing.
>>
>>66456484
Yes
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 300x300
No
>>
>>66456484
Yes.
>>
nah. rap is at the end of its life cycle. pretty soon all the lewronggeneration kids are going to be old enough to start rock bands and there is going to be a revival.
>>
i think all rock needs is a new band to take the world by storm. rock is just kinda stale atm because the only people putting out rock albums are dadrock tier artists that everyone has been listening to for the past 2/3 decades (Foo Fighters, Smashing Pumpkins, Blink 182, Noel Gallagher, Guns N Roses). Tame Impala aren't that great but they have been pretty successful, just wait for a rock band with great music to pop up
>>
Funny seeing that six months ago, everyone said that rock was dead and burried
>>
Maybe folk rock will be the next big thing.
>>
>>66457403
what about pop punk?

thats kind of the only popular guitar music with the younger generation right now
>>
>>66458115
Im honestly putting my money down on that. maybe with some psych influences
>>
>>66456760
Better than nothing i guess.
>>
not dead, just moved on to niche communities
it's better this way
>>
In the mainstream, yes. But there's still plenty of passionate artists out there.
>Tame Impala
>The Black Keys
>The Flaming Lips
>The Mars Volta
>Queens of The Stone Age
>Melody's Echo Chamber
>The Blue Dawns
>Pond
>Cage The Elephant
etc.

Nobody I meet is into Psychedelic or Progressive rock, so i'm waiting for that special someone to share music and good vibes with.
>>
No, but Pop is. Long live Pop!
>>
>>66460221
Aw i know that feeling anon. Still waiting...
>>
>>66460221
holy reddit

is this a new pasta?
>>
Coldplay and Twenty One Pilots are the best rock groups alive. They'll probably revive it somehow.
>>
>>66460260
i can't tell what's even ironic anymore desu
>>
>>66460320
Your not even trying
>>
In my country, some music asshole that runs one of the most listened radio stations said that rock was dead justifying a REALLY BAD lineup of the first Lollapalooza here.

My bf decided to make a playlist proving him wrong.

Here it is.

spotify:user:12125235742:playlist:1Z8cr6F46w8hT6THoJ2O6i

And BTW you can cooperate to it.

Ahh, and also, that shitty festival was cancelled cause Rihanna was the headliner and she turned it off due to she was concerned about the Zika virus. She's a pretty dumb ass bitch, in my city there's no Zika.
>>
>>66460485
Have you heard Yellow?
How about Stressed Out or even Viva La Vida?

They'll do it.
>>
>>66460524
Lol vive la vida was 10 years ago XD
>>
File: MattBellamy.png (444 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
MattBellamy.png
444 KB, 640x960
Nope, the hero of rock is still here
>>
>>66460586
Dog, Viva La Vida is forever. God tier. I play it in my car many times a day.
>>
Rock committed suicide
>>
Are people here really talking about Coldplay?

Seriously people?
>>
>>66460745
>Look at the stars,
>Look how they shine for you,
>And everything you do,
>Yeah, they were all yellow.

If that didn't make you cry, you're a psychopath. It's too deep for you. Get out of /mu/.
>>
>>66456663
Just do what you want. Whatever interests you, make that. I started out making acoustic pop-rock and now im recording dirty doom metal. You can always switch it up and make different things at different times.

Do you man.
>>
it was never alive desu
>>
>>66456773
I would suggest finding the most interesting combination of your influences and styles that you feel you can pull off. Try to make it unique but focus first on the actual quality of your music.

Easier said than done obviously but it done right that's how you will be able to stand out as well as feel self fulfilled.
>>
Unless we get another Nirvana to revolutionize pop culture, we'll be stuck listening to butt-rock of the early 2000s
>>
http://noisey.vice.com/blog/zeal-and-ardor-interview

>Did you always have the idea of incorporating these spirituals? Where did that come from?

>Actually, that was the first idea and I just kind of sucked it up for a long time until I got there. You know 4Chan, that weird website? I have another project called Birdmask and I post anonymously [on the music board] to get feedback because they’re brutally honest and don’t give a shit about you. I used to make these threads where I would ask people for musical genres; one would post “swing”, and the other would post “hardcore gabber techno” and I’d fuse the two and make a song of it in 30 minutes. One day, someone said “nigger music” and another said “black metal.” I didn’t make the song then, but it stuck with me, and I thought it was an interesting idea.
>>
A combo that has worked for my group is gypsy jazz guitar with a rap/hip hop beat. very crunchy drums
>>
>>66460826
I can't tell if this is bait and it's genuinely concerning me.
>>
File: Low Quality Bait.jpg (990 B, 100x100) Image search: [Google]
Low Quality Bait.jpg
990 B, 100x100
>>66461369
shit bait dude
fuck off
>>
>>66461369
Likewise, normie.
>>
>>66460609
my afro-american
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.