[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In a few weeks, a friend is interviewing these musicians as a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_3687.png (100 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3687.png
100 KB, 640x960
In a few weeks, a friend is interviewing these musicians as a "legends of prog" panel over a group phone call.
>Tony Iommi
>David Gilmour
>Geddy Lee
>Rick Wakeman
>Ritchie Blackmore
>Greg Lake
I won't say much, but it is a college radio station in the USA and it will be available to read exclusively on our online publication. He managed to set up the interview because he is a moderately established classical/prog musician and his family's super rich

If you want Gilmour and Iommi to (possibly) answer your questions, or tell me I'm lying, toast in this bread. I will send him actual good questions that aren't just surface level. Like "how do you think prog has changed over the years", the musicians have heard basic stuff like that a billion times
>>
Ask them how they think prog has stayed the same over the years.
>>
>>66455211
why are they calling it legends of prog when it's really only 3 prog dudes, one kinda prog dude, and then 2 dudes that only count as prog because they didn't know what to call metal at first
>>
>>66455211
Tell him to ask Geddy Lee why he's such a hook nosed faggot.
>>
>>66455211
Ask Geddy Lee how his voice got so high, and if he speaks like an ordinary guy
>>
For gilmour:

What influence did Roger Waters have in your sound in The division bell and A momentary lapse of reason?

How close were you to Wright?

When Pink Floyd jammed, how was the synergy and who did you feel most connected to in the band?

What is your favorite Pink Floyd song before your arrival, during your time in the band with Waters and after he left the band?

In the time you were in the band along with syd, how did you perceive him?

Had you gone to Pink Floyd shows before joining the band?

With what did Pink Floyd experiment that we never hear come out of the studio?

What is your favourite memory during the time you were with syd in the band?

What were your other life plans before joining the band? What did your parents or family expect you to study?

How did they feel when they realized the band was having worldwide success?

What bands were you into when you guys were writing Atom Heart Mother?

How many times was the Atom Heart Mother Suite played after the release of Meddle? Did the public like it?

How does it make you feel knowing your band is one of the most influential bands in the history of music?

Hopefully at least one of these are used haha.
>>
how do you think prog has changed over the years
>>
>>66455319
I think they have all made legit prog except Iommi, but he was a last minute addition and "legends of prog" was just the working name of the interview.
>>
For geddy:

What music did you predominantly listen to and what elements of it came into your music while composing Presto and Counterparts?

What's your second favourite Rush album?

What influence did Pink Floyd have in Rush?

What is your favourite Rush album cover and why?

Have you ever thought or did you ever thought about acquiring a 5 string or even 6 string bass?

What do you miss the most about the Moving Pictures era?

Being critical of Clockwork Angels, which is the song you are most proud about and why? Which one is your least favourite song in CA and why?

What was the inspiration behind Feedback?

How was high school? Did you feel Subdivisions applied to you, alex or neil?

Will you miss touring? Do you miss it currently?

What is the worst thing that happened during a tour?

What was the worst thing that happened during a particular show?

What is your favourite thing about Rush fans?
>>
>>66455514
Thanks for putting effort in. Most of these are better than the questions I was trying to come up with
>>
>>66455211
(to all for general discussion)

Do you accept the oft-repeated opinion that punk was responsible for the death of progressive rock as popular music's direction du jour, or do you acknowledge that the conceptual rigour and attention to extramusical aesthetic concerns displayed by those groups usually classified as 'post-punk' proved more attractive to a significant number of prog listeners at a time when the genre's most popular bands had generally strayed into either pseudoclassical pomposity or ersatz radio-friendly pop?

Who are your favourite composers?

Do you see the likes of Steven Wilson and Dream Theater as your natural successors or do you see your influence more prominently elsewhere?

To what extent has your music been influenced by 'krautrock'?

Is guitar-based music dying and, if so, should it be?
>>
oh shit this is gonna be a good interview pls link in future?
>>
>>66456085
I definitely will, although it'll be hard to say exactly when it gets published. It's going to be the station's biggest article ever

We are also interviewing Leonard Cohen and Opeth this month, it's all the same guy. It's honestly unbelievable that he can get hooked up with these people. We normally only interview the trash local indie pop artists
>>
>>66456044
I really like these questions. You could put down the thesaurus though lel

Right now I will be sending him >>66456044's 1st and 3rd questions, >>66455699's 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 10th questions, and >>66455514's 3rd, 4th, 6th, 9th, 10th, 12th questions. If you are a regular /mu/tant you will hopefully see me post about it when it's published later this year
>>
id like to ask tony iommi about the progression of heavy metal from being a more riff based music into a genre more about solos and harmony and becoming more rhythmic post Metallica just ask him about its progression you know because i mean when you think about it metal really is a pretty progressive genre in the sense that its changed a lot over the years
oh and i really would like to ask him what it is that truly makes music good like at the very most quintessential level that distinguishes something good from being bad
>>
>>66455211
iommi: do you ever use the leslie still? also, what drew you to the sg?

gilmour: do you think the gross popularity of dsotm and rolling stoneification of the album has made it lose its some of its artistic significance?

geddy: what was the reason for basically retiring the rick? i know it pops up sometimes and on certain tracks but there was a definite switch somewhere along the way.

rick: why was the birotron never put into full production? also, can you possibly go into more depth about all of the shit that went down with jimmy haun replacing steve howe during union?

ritchie: what drew you to the whole medieval aesthetic? youre one of the few artists it works out for without coming across as too cheesy.

greg: will you ever collaborate with carl? or for that matter, any king crimson member? or anyone else?
also why did you get fat and suddenly have your balls drop during the 80s?
>>
why do you think progressive rock is so contrived now, for the most part?

what are your favorite non progressive rock bands of the past couple of years?

do you think the rock and roll hall of fame/rolling stone/billboard/other examples of corporate music propaganda are destroying the original intent of your music, especially considering that despite being from the same era, some of you are totally ignored and some of you are considered classics?

what did you hate the most about performing live?

opinions on math rock and other derivative genres?

geddy: before clockwork angels, rush was almost a forgotten band. why do you think after clockwork angels you saw a sudden jolt in popularity among the "classic rock" product?

greg: do you think egg tried to steal the elp sound?
>>
>>66456951
>>66457163
Going to send some from these too, I especially liked the Blackmore question about his medieval stuff
>>
>>66457528
thank you very much for choosing one of my iommi questions i am legitimately grateful to have a chance to ask a legend like that a question even if it is only secondhand
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.