[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was the coolest movement & why? > Proto/Post-Punk
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: Kurt Cobain.jpg (174 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
Kurt Cobain.jpg
174 KB, 1200x1200
What was the coolest movement & why?
> Proto/Post-Punk movement in the 70's
> New Wave Movement in the 80's
> Alternative/Grunge Movement 90's?
>>
Soviet Punk movement.
Making Punk music when you could get thrown in the gulags for it is pretty fucking awesome.
>>
90's lo-fi scene
>>
>>66454819
> "why"
>>
>>66454771
Proto/Art/Post-Punk for sure. New wave and grunge can't even compare.
>>
>>66454793
Bands?
I've only heard of the velvet revolution in CZ bieng backed by the plastic people's
>>
New wave easily. Armed Forces/Get Happy era Elvis Costello was the coolest.
>>
File: 20131102_eup504.jpg (69 KB, 595x335) Image search: [Google]
20131102_eup504.jpg
69 KB, 595x335
>>66454852
>>66454793
I genuinely wonder if Václav Havel named the revolution after the velvet underground
>>
>>66454826
>>66454835
> "why"
>>
>>66454928
the proto/post-punk scene gave birth to ridiculous creativity and imaginative albums, which would inspire all of rock to come. definitive era of music
>>
>>66454852
Stuff like Grazhdanskaya Oborona as well.
>>
>>66454975
The exact same can be said about the new wave movement and the future of pop, and the alternative movement and well, the future of indie and what we consider alternative today.
>>
70's Krautrock & 80's Industrial were pretty cool
>>
>>66455231
see >>66454826
>>
Proto-Punk has more to do with new wave than it does with post-punk.
The alternative and grunge scenes were better in the 80s.
>>
>>66454975
You could say the same exact thing about the canon era of 60s rock, many of the protopunk bands fall under that distinction too.
>>
I know this won't be popular but I love the Outlaw/Progressive Country movement of the late 60s and 70s. Country with grit and wit. It's the kind of music I imagine myself making.
>>
hip hop
>>
>>66454793
Sounds like what Punk should have been from the beggining
>>
No Wave
Sonic Youth, Swans, Suicide, Glenn Branca and DNA; all perfect.
>>
File: 68840_1.jpg (31 KB, 451x567) Image search: [Google]
68840_1.jpg
31 KB, 451x567
Evolution of the rave scene in the 90s
>>
>>66454771
Norwegian Black Metal Movement late 80's early 90's
>>
60's psychedelic movement. The music nowdays wouldn't be the same without it.
>>
The underground pacific northwest early 2000s hip hop was pretty cool. Lots of spiritual and hardcore rap coming out of there.
>>
70s Krautrock

I really love how Krautrock isn't one specific genre and how each Krautrock band sounded so different from each other. Faust, Can, and Amon Duul all sound so different from each other yet fall in the same movement. It's almost as if every band that was labeled Krautrock was trying to push their own boundries rather than being influenced by other Krautrock bands. It just makes the whole movement extremely varied and influential
>>
>>66456956
Any good albums in the genre to check out?
>>
>>66459269
Townes Van Zandt - s/t, Our Mother the Mountain, Flyin' Shoes
Blaze Foley - The Dawg Years, Oval Room
Guy Clark - Old. No 1
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.