[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
does /mu/ like hair metal?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8
File: motley-crueS.jpg (77 KB, 680x510) Image search: [Google]
motley-crueS.jpg
77 KB, 680x510
does /mu/ like hair metal?
>>
File: Animal-Fuck-Like-A-Beast.jpg (32 KB, 416x416) Image search: [Google]
Animal-Fuck-Like-A-Beast.jpg
32 KB, 416x416
>>66453914
the first 2 crue albums were good and so is WASP, other than that, it mostly sucks
>>
File: christgau1med.jpg (18 KB, 400x266) Image search: [Google]
christgau1med.jpg
18 KB, 400x266
Shout at the Devil [Elektra, 1984]

It's hardly news that this platinum product is utter dogshit even by heavy metal standards; under direct orders from editors who don't know Iron Maiden from Wynton Marsalis, my beleaguered colleagues on the dailies have been saying so all year, and every insult goes into the press kit. Still, I must mention Mick Mars's dork-fingered guitar before getting to the one truly remarkable thing about this record: a track called "Ten Seconds To Love" in which Vince Neil actually seems to boast about how fast he can ejaculate (or as the lyric sheet puts it, "cum"). And therein, I believe, lies the secret of their commercial appeal--if you don't got it, flaunt it. Follow-up: "Pinkie Prick." D

Decade of Decadence '81 to '91 [Elektra, 1991] :(
>>
>>66454333
This angers the Tipper Gore.
>>
kinda, kinda
dr feelgood wasp and shit
>>
W.A.S.P is basically a less commercial Motley Crue without the latter's hit singles which is why they're not nearly as big of a name.
>>
>>66455295
kek
>>66453914
no
I like T Rex, but they're glam rock not glam metal
>>
>>66455295
W.A.S.P.

Distinctions Not Cost Effective [1980s]

He who drinks like a fish shall fuck like a fish. And I'm not sure that's the animal they meant.
>>
File: The Wrestler Mickey Rourke.jpg (628 KB, 1600x666) Image search: [Google]
The Wrestler Mickey Rourke.jpg
628 KB, 1600x666
>>66453914
Yeah
>>
>>66455719
Eh, after listening to them they seem best described as the 80s Grand Funk Railroad.
>>
Also the cover of The Last Command...nice Eddie ripoff, guys.
>>
I fucking hate this genre, it literally repels me. That said, I hate it so much that I was fascinated, and spent enough time listening to it that I found good bands in the genre. So while this genre is by default dogshit, desu there are some fun bands, like Twisted Sister and Hanoi Rocks. The band I hate the most is Dokken, who are offensively bland.
>>
>>66455890
Since glam rock is pretty shitty overall, it only works when the band had good singles like Motley Crue or Twisted Sister.

I mean, come on. Mainstream rock after 1983 just became embarrassingly bad. All the good stuff was going on with the metal/alternative/college rock scenes which of course weren't commercial.
>>
>>66456005
Intwesting. I wonder just what went wrong in the 80s to cause this mess.
>>
fuck no
>>
>>66456070
Cold war, nuclear angst
You don't want to listen to any realistic rock music when a nuke is potentially pointed at your direction
Hardcore punk from the period kind of evidences the angst of the time period
>>
>>66456070
Mostly MTV. The underground metal/alternative guys either didn't go on MTV at all or their videos were played at 2:00 AM. MTV was never about music, it was about selling manufactured pop product to 12 year old girls.

I think also the 80s was a very slicked-back, technology-centered decade which led to music feeling much more inorganic than it had been in the hippified, "find yourself" 70s.
>>
File: IMG_20160716_212552.jpg (19 KB, 215x222) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160716_212552.jpg
19 KB, 215x222
>>
>>66456211
Tru
That's why new wave and hair metal have such a flashy and visual aesthetic
It's more fun to watch on tv
>>
Dee Snider: The mentality in the record industry has always been "If one's good, a hundred's even better." So you ended up with the W bands: the Wingers, the Warrants, the Whitesnakes, the White Lions. And it became so refined and so...processed that it became pablum (cut to clip of the video for Is This Love) Fucking idiots. And then it got even better because now every metal band starts doing acoustic sets. Thanks, Tesla. It was an unwritten rule on MTV for a while that if you didn't do an unplugged set, you weren't a serious artist. Yeah, that's real extreme. I'd like to see Tracy Chapman or Paul Simon plug in two stacks of Marshall amps and ride the lightning.

Ronnie Dio: When the MTV era started, it was hard for a lot of us, especially us older guys who came up before the video age. We had to do something we totally opposed in order to compete. It became less of a Led Zeppelin world and more of a Bon Jovi world. And then eventually you end up with these...things in makeup. (holds up copy of Look What The Cat Dragged In) That's not metal. It was a total mockery of everything we'd worked hard to build.
>>
File: ratt-out-of-the-cellar.jpg (85 KB, 651x650) Image search: [Google]
ratt-out-of-the-cellar.jpg
85 KB, 651x650
top-tier cock rock
>>
Hair metal fucking sucks Listen to thrash
>>
>>66457370
It's pretty much the same thing desu
>>
>>66457370
this
>>
Hair metal is the worst listen to thrash death or black metal
>>
Does Mother Love Bone count as hair metal? Because I like them.
>>
>>66455295
based
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.