[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
AOTY
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 5
File: 1465948152579.jpg (99 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
1465948152579.jpg
99 KB, 1200x1200
AOTY
>>
what kind of person unironically likes this album?
>>
>>66444819
People that aren't plebs.
>>
>>66444797
I actually really fucking like this album apart from NMWE
>>
Responsibiliiiiitttyyyyyy
>>
Bleep bloop fart ehhhuheuheurrgghh bleep bleep

Yeah sure, AOTY.
>>
>>66444819
me
>>
>>66444936
about as eloquent as pitchforks article :^)
>>
>>66444797
completely independent from pitchfork's rating, its a really poorly made album.

feels like H^3 put no effort into it and just cheaply used it as a vehicle to jerk off his stupid mythos
>>
>>66444819

a person with taste
>>
>>66444819
Non drones, patricians, people familiar with music theory etc...
>>
this is probably the goofiest shit ive heard this year, the beats arent that bad but the vocals holy shit
>>
>>66445045
>people familiar with music theory

HAHAHAHAHA

w e w l a d
>>
but it only has one good track
it's a great track but still
>>
>>66445045
What are the exact theoretical workings involved in bleepfarts?
>>
>>66445098
>great
listenable.
But I'm not into Aladdin techno so what do I know?
>>
>>66445073
kinda unrelated but why do people think that goofy or cringeworthy = bad?
>>
>>66445137
cringeworthy things are cringeworthy BECAUSE they are bad.

"the cringe" is second-hand embarrassment.
>>
>>66445131
well, i'd love to hear more raps over idm beats
like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HIU5aJ98Qw
>>
>>66445188
me too, just, not those raps and not those beats.
>>
>>66445168
except not everything bad is also cringeworthy so you'd have to wonder, ykno
>>
what genre is this?

autotune epilepsy?
>>
Does an album have to be any good in order to be AOTY?

I think it's AOTY precisely because of how terrible it is.
>>
>>66445295

can you explain how it's "terrible" without using memes and interchangeable adjectives?
>>
File: tumblr_noqfipnPOa1qjdw8yo4_500.png (154 KB, 500x273) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_noqfipnPOa1qjdw8yo4_500.png
154 KB, 500x273
>>66444819
You have to be AT LEAST on zone plane 6 to comprehend this music.

Most of you are on plane 2 at most.
>>
>>66445329
it sounds ridiculous, ugly, and completely fails to fulfill its megalomaniac goals.
>>
sound design is pretty good. interesting trap album just the vocals ruin it
>>
>>66445389
>PRRRRRT
>PRRRRT
>PRR-PRRRetty good sound design
>>
>>66445188
This is dope.
>>
>>66444819
people who value innovation over most other qualities, i'd say
like i do
>>
I DO COCAINE WITH THE CLERGY
I TEACH PEACE TO JIHADIS
>>
>>66445430
You do realize that innovation has no inherent value, right?
>>
>>66445415
Ontological love is a banger
>>
>>66445365

you could say this about like 90 percent of /mu/core
>>
>>66445365
>it doesn't conform to standard music melodies that appeal to my senses
Closemindedness gets u nowhere anon
>>
>>66445450
But I do.
>>
>>66445442
>inherent
well obviously
>>
>>66445442
No more than anything else if you want to be a existential aspie about it
>>
>>66445415

this is such a dumb post I don't even know how to respond to it

you obviously know nothing about composition
>>
>>66445465
Fortunately, that means it won't get me into the embarrassing situation where I'd somehow enjoy this.
>>
>>66444819
I'm on the second track and I like it so far, but then again I like glitch and noise.
>>
>>66445489
I know enough about composition to tell it apart from "sound design".
>>
>>66445498
I also like glitch an noise.
Not in an autistic scholarly way but it gets me going.

This doesn't and I don't know how it does for you.
>>
>>66445493
Yea bro we listen to real shit like sufjan Stevens and animal collective \m/
>>
>>66445535
Where do you get this silly notion that I would somehow like AnCo and sufjan if I don't like this shit?

Like, is sufjan stevens and AnCo the opposite of Kel Valhaal?
They all involve either stupid moaning or horrible bleepbloops.
>>
>>66445523
Second track drags on way too long.

>>66445513
I still don't think these tracks are really "composed" they're a clusterfuck of beats strung together.
>>
>>66444819
One of my favorite things to hear in music, especially electronic music, is when a few unexpected and seemingly disparate elements are combined in an interesting way.
I hear this a lot in certain techno music, like Actress and Terrence Dixon, and I find it also happens when someone not known for electronic music starts making it, like John Frusciante did with PBX Funicular Intaglio Zone or The Fall did with Levitate. That's how I feel about this album as well as the Ark Work
>>
You weak-minded plebs don't have enough intellect to understang Kel's project
>>
the best thing about his music is that if you dislike it it's ALWAYS because you miss the point because you have no knowledge of music theory and prefer familiar melodies instead of being challenged (and not in a meme way like les rallizes denudes or Glenn branca and other poseurcore crap)
>>
I might have to buy this. It's surprisingly entertaining.
>>
This is insane. I love it.
>>
I don't understand the hate for this album
The beats stand alone and the vocals remind me of Mess by Liars, which everyone praised.
>>
>>66445607
So, I assume that comedy is interesting to you.
>>66445633
I have no problem with his composition or melodies.
However the actual sounds that he uses are absolutely ridiculous.
Let him write music for a philharmonic orchestra and we'll see if it holds up.
>>
Bezel II ruins the album, litteraly 0/10 track
>>
>>66445952
I can only assume that nobody who praised Liars listened to Kel Valhaal yet.
Because if anyone thinks those vocals sound good, they're wrong.
And some beats do stand alone, but everything else is still goofy as fuck.
However, read the description of the album on its page.
You'll understand better why it deserves to be made fun of.
>>
>>66446073
>Bezel II ruins the album, litteraly 0/10 track
No, it's one of the better tracks, the second track blows and is the worst one.
>>
What is this? It's like experimental trap or something.

Beats the shit out of regular trap "music."
>>
>>66446073
Bezel 2 MAKES the album, it's by far the funniest one.
>>
This album is on some Foodman level shit. Fuckin bangers all around.
>>
>>66446183
yes but only because trap is boring as fuck.
It's just as bad as regular trap, but at least it's funny to listen to.
>>
>>66446215
You're not listening enough to how the songs progress, it's not some generic 4/4 trap beat.

This music is really dense and is continually shifting, and there's more than just the embarrassing trap to it.

And HHH's vocals aren't even terrible on it. This is definitely better than The Ark Work.
>>
>>66446264
>HHH's vocals aren't even terrible on it
They really are, they're even worse than on The Ark Work, it's just that they harmonize better with terrible (intricate and complex, but terrible nonetheless) trap beats than with tremolo guitars.

I mean for fuck's sake there's even a malfunctioning autotuned section.
>>
>>66446310
>I mean for fuck's sake there's even a malfunctioning autotuned section.

I still found them less noticeable, which works for me.

I liked the noise/glitch parts, shame he had to throw in all that trap garbo samples on top.

This could have been a really good electronic album if not for that.
>>
>>66446264
the whole shifting thing feels really lazily done IMO, like whenever a song shifts it just feels like HHH got bored with that particular beat and decided to throw in a different one. Granted I'm only 3 tracks in on my first listen ATM so take my opinion with a pinch of salt.
>>
The Ark Work was my AOTY last year, and I find this mostly boring. Hearing the construction of the beats is cool, but often goes on for too long, or the beat builds to something exciting but then immediately changes to something else, as in Kairos. And yes, the vocals are bad. Vocals on The Ark Work felt powerful where here they feel whiney and weak. He should have had his voice processed for the entire album, like on Ontological Love, where it actually sounded good.

I hear potential on this album. I don't think its awful, and I think its fine as an experiment. I enjoy a lot of the rhythms on here, especially the idea of a constantly tempo shifting bass drum, but it feels in service of nothing. There's no sense of momentum or emotion, which it where The Ark Work excelled imo. I'll be happy if the next Liturgy album has the same sense of grandeur and excitement of The Ark Work while incorporating some of the techniques he explored here.
>>
>>66446338
it could have been a decent electronic album if it had
-beautiful melodies (even if glitched occasionally)
-sound textures that aren't cartoonish
-vocals that aren't nasal and limp

so, basically, if it sounded nothing like it currently does
>>
>>66445633
what if you understand the "novel ideas" but realize that they're dumb bullshit

fart music is also pretty novel and avant-garde, but no one thinks it's a profound idea
>>
>>66446412
>what if you understand the "novel ideas"
prove it
>>
>>66446394
>like whenever a song shifts it just feels like HHH got bored with that particular beat and decided to throw in a different one.

This is my biggest problem with the album, there's not much of a sense of cohesion with most of the tracks. They lack compositional skill.

It's especially problematic with the second track, which I think is a total clusterfuck of disparate beats.

Granted despite its flaws I found the album entertaining and interesting to listen to. I wouldn't say it's spectacular, but it's not boring or uninspired.
>>
>>66446401
>vocals on The Ark Work felt powerful
How the FUCK can you say this?
That was my biggest gripe against the ark work: its vocals were WEAK AS FUCK.
Here they're still weak but he occasionally tries to put some power behind them (with hilarious results) while on The Ark Work he just sounded bored and half-asleep.
Like, almost purposefully, as if he were trying his best to sound drowsy and slack-jawed.
>>
>>66446448
Oh it certainly isn't.

But it's the epitome of a clusterfuck.
>>
>>66446448
yeah, I'm feeling the same, I was mostly referring to the second track when I said that, I'm on Ontological Love now and it's definitely better than Tense Stage.
>>
>>66446464
>But it's the epitome of a clusterfuck.
Yes, and that's what I love about it. It's absolutely mad.
>>
>>66446474
Ontological Love is somewhat decent, yes. It's as close to "good music" as this album gets.

The rest sounds like some joke album made by /mu/.
>>
File: 1467864080684.jpg (549 KB, 1720x1620) Image search: [Google]
1467864080684.jpg
549 KB, 1720x1620
>>66446448
>muh cohesion
>muh composition
please stick to music on this chart, don't attempt to listen to avant garde music and discuss your uneducated distaste for it and expect to be taken seriously
>>
>>66446474
I HATED Tense Stage, thought Ontological Love was okay, but by the end of the album I loved it.

There's an extremely diverse range of sounds he's incorporating, even if it is mostly Ableton samples.
>>
he fucking told everybody what this was gonna be like, that it was less consistent that Liturgy. He literally gave everyone a heads up that it wasn't going to be some perfect thing and everyone is acting like it's some huge blunder or some shit. wtf?
>>
>>66446496
I do listen to avant garde music though, this isn't classical or willfully obtuse music.
>>
>>66445236
don't be stupid

all alligators are animals but not all animals are alligators
>>
File: 2010s GOAT.jpg (624 KB, 1530x615) Image search: [Google]
2010s GOAT.jpg
624 KB, 1530x615
Definitely among the best albums of the decade along with the rest in the pic. I don't even mind if you idiot plebs hate it. Just like Rolling Stone or Pitchfork or most other older rock critics spots, you're probably gonna call it a 10/10 GOAT tier album a decade down the road. I guess not everyone's smart enough to pick up on powerful change and composition right then and there.
>>
>>66446518
Because he also told us that it was going to be "a messianic intervention into global destiny".
His language is certainly very vague but he always presents it like some kind of enlightening, wondrous journey.
>>
>>66446424
Why don't YOU prove that you understand this bullshit that you think is fine art?

I have barely paid attention to Liturgy since Aesthethica, so I'm only familiar with what HHH has revealed in interviews and bandcamp descriptions, and it all sounded like the sort of fatuous and self-important shit that art school undergrads come up with, so I haven't had the desire to look any further. The whole Transcendental Black Metal thing, on the other hand, was totally embarrassing. The music that came out of it was fine, but the underlying theory was like an essay written by an overenthusiastic high schooler who just got into Burzum. He doesn't understand black metal (or metal in general) well at all.
>>
has anyone notice there isn't a dl anywhere cause no one cared enough to buy it and upload it to a file sharing system?
>>
>>66446547
I completely disregard what he says and judge the music as is.
>>
>>66446557
that autistic tripfag (doubtlessly the same "anon" who just rambled on about composition) did post a link in a previous thread
>>
>>66446557
it's in the archive
>>
>>66446547
>caring more about what the artist says outside the music than the artist's music itself
Fake music fan detected.
>>
>>66446451
I was a big fan of the HEYYYYYY vocals on TAW. Some of the power might come from how they blend with the guitars, but even on their own, like on Vitriol, they sound much better than on this album. I get how you could call them sleepy, but I really liked the chanting aspect of the delivery.

>>66446448
This is about how I feel. It has interesting moments, but the beats feel in service of nothing. The long songs feel long and meandering while the short tracks feel like interludes

>>66446518
This is why I don't really mind. I just treat it like a window into his experiements that he might incorporate into Liturgy in the future
>>
>>66446571
>>66446592
I'll gladly take a "death of the author" approach to appreciating most art, but when you write a fucking "manifesto" and outline your intentions as elaborately (and inanely) as HHH has, it's hard to extend that courtesy
>>
>>66446623
>>66446632
I think every trap "musician" should listen to this.
>>
>>66446632
Many guys in the 90s black metal scene and someone like Kanye have all spent far more time outlining their intentions than HHH ever has.
>>
>>66446623
They DON'T blend with the guitars, they always felt tacked-on due to their nasal tone and their pitch.
The vocals on the ark work should either have been pitched down as fuck, to provide some bass, some solemnity and fullness to the brittle sound of TAW, or have been full-on operatic falsetto Klaus Nomi stuff to make it angelic and wondrous.

NOT like the ramblings of your stoner friend.
>>
>>66446083
It's the same old HHH explanations. Fits his narrative, it's not ridiculous.
>>
>>66446547
there's nothing to understand about metal that he wouldn't understand what are you talking about
>>
listening now

what the fuck, this is fucking awesome. how can somebody dislike this?
>>
>>66446720
his narrative is ridiculous when you compare it to his music and vice-versa.
>>
>>66446666
not to my knowledge. From what I can remember, even when someone like Euronymous or Varg wrote anything about the intent of their music, it was much more conceptually simple and lowbrow (e.g. "we want to make the most satanic fucking music ever", or "I want to create the music equivalent of magic spells"), rather than revealing pretentious ambitions like semiotically deconstructing black metal or delivering a messianic gesamtkunstwerk to the world
>>
DRUNK ON

RESPONSIBILITYYYYYYYYYYY
>>
>>66446788
Hunterspeak is just autistic rambling.
>>
>>66446744
is it ridiculous if he is consistently being absurd? That's what I meant by it's not ridiculous.
>>
>>66446788
Sometimes, certain things are done with actions rather than by words. I am sure you know the actions. I would rather pretentious write-up while making amazing music than some pretentious write up plus burning churches plus killing people plus some cringey shit while making overrated mediocre music.
>>
listening and it's actually good.
>>
>>66446681
I disagree, that would have totally changed the character of the album, which I understand is what you want, but I'm someone who enjoyed the vocals and thought they were one of the most unique aspects of the album. I was disappointed when I went to listen to Aesthetica and it didn't have the same vocal style.
>>
>>66446723
Well first off he doesn't understand the fact that metal in general is supposed to sound badass. He's approaching it from the perspective of a wimp (and I'm using that term very seriously), which is why he struggles to describe this quality, and has to rely on a whole lot of terminology and technical description that only scratches the surface of metal aesthetics, stuff like "romantic undertones" and "flux of chaos" and "atrophy" and "courageousness" and of course the whole haptic void mythos.
He's missing out on what Mirai said very eloquently "Metal is something that is cool".
It's supposed to sound badass. Even the whiniest Depressive Suicidal Black Metal at least has a core of "fuck the whole world I'm gonna make the most bitter and harsh music I can." And HHH doesn't get that.

If he understood that, he would have realized that most of what he sought to achieve has already been done by power metal.
>>
>>66446881
I don't understand how you can like those vocals except on a comedic level.
He doesn't sound like a chanting monk. His voice is too nasal for that. He sounds like a stereotypical sitcom stoner.
>>
>>66446723
He reads too much profundity into certain aspects of metal (see: haptic void) while overgeneralizing things that are more complicated in order to fit into his big universal Black Metal Theory--like depicting the history of extreme metal as a constant push toward greater "extremeness", even though extreme metal bands have been scattered all over the spectrum since the 90s and there are very few bands who really made it a goal to become "more extreme"
>>
>>66446824
He's consistently being absurd, but the massive gap between his ambitions and the music he produces is ridiculous.
>>
>>66446830
I would rather listen to lowbrow music made by a stupid criminal than lowbrow music made by a pretentious blowhard trying to sell his work as fine art
>>
every time HHH releases something new, or worse, writes something new, i understand the extreme hatred directed towards him a little bit more.
>>
>>66446830
yeah me too but here's the issue: there's no amazing music here. At least not in a good way.
>>
>>66446928
Yeah, he didn't even take grindcore into account.
>>
>>66446928
>>66446942
>>66446949
>>66446955
>>66446958
I simply write him off as a sperg with an "okay" and judge his music for what it is.
>>
>>66446928
>>66446887
>>66446788
>>66446547
>caring about genre
>>
File: I'VE FALLEN, AND I CAN'T GET UP.jpg (1 MB, 1383x1383) Image search: [Google]
I'VE FALLEN, AND I CAN'T GET UP.jpg
1 MB, 1383x1383
I miss old Liturgy's rollercoaster black metal.

HHH said that Liturgy's next album "is gonna sound even more like Liturgy".

Well if it can sound more like Liturgy and less like Kel Valhaal I'll be satisfied.
>>
>>66447004
If I give you a painting of a blue apple, then hand you a copy of my manifesto that explains that I'm transcending historical trends in the genre of apple paintings by upending the traditional signs, symbols and methods of that genre, THEN tell you that my painting is part of a planned gesamtkunstwerk combining art, literature and drama in order to [...] and [...messianic...], then it seems like there would have to be some sort of intellectual conflict if you just wanted to appreciate my work as a simple picture of a blue apple.
>>
>>66446916
We'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't get stoner from his voice, but you're right it doesn't sound like a monk either. Chanting is just the easiest word to use.I especially think it sounds great in the rap-esque sections (end of Kel Valhaal, Vitriol)
>>
>>66447070
since HHH's whole work involves a study of certain genres, it seems relevant to discuss his understanding of those genres
>>
>>66447108
>I don't get stoner from his voice
stereotypical slack-jawed lazy teenager then
Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.