[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sw/ - Swans General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: baby.png (138 KB, 658x575) Image search: [Google]
baby.png
138 KB, 658x575
Talk about Swans

What songs would you show someone who was completely unaware of their music? Particularly someone who was going to be seeing them live on their current tour. I was thinking Screen Shot might be good cause it's somewhat short and digestible but still gives you an idea of their repetitive tendencies which build into something huge and loud.
>>
What you do is you bring them to a show.

Without earplugs

And tell them that it's a cute indie folk band run by an adorable old man who wears a cowboy hat.
>>
>>66427160
lol i would actually do this to some of my friends but im not gonna do that to my dad :( which is who im referring to in the OP
>>
>>66427232
You know what I did with my dad?

We sat down and listened to the Glowing Man all the way through together.

And he said that the concert was "Interesting..." which is better than "OMG WHY U LISTEN TO THIS SATAN BAND"
>>
>>66428237
lmao what does your dad normally listen to? listening through the album all the way through sounds like a terrible idea if you were trying to perpare him for their live show, what did he say about the album when you finished?
>>
>>66427107
If its your dad you should start with My Father and move up to the Glowing Man.

However for most people, I recommend to start with Filth or Cop. I think Cop is the perfect introduction and that Filth should be listened to later just because its so different than anything else they made.
>>
Personally I started with their lighter stuff like White Light, Love of Life and The Great Annihilator. Then I moved on to heavier territory with My Father.
>>
>>66427107
I'm in the same boat, my dad wanted to see a show and this is the one we decided on. Where are you seeing them?
>>
>>66427107
A Little God In My Hands and Screen Shot are both good options. The Seer Returns, maybe?
>>
>>66428977
ill be making ~3hr drive to the LA show. my dad has an appreciation for musicianship and the effort that people put into their performances cause he used to make music himself so i think he'll get a kick out of Gira regardless of how much he actually likes their music. I've sent him some articles for context and he keeps on jokingly asking if he's gonna go deaf and how he's gonna wear two pairs of ear plugs
>>
WHERE THE FUCK IS BLACK HOLE MAN
GIRA YOU COCK
>>
File: image.jpg (81 KB, 691x780) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81 KB, 691x780
>in reaction to this post I ask my dad if he wants to see Swans with me
>says "no" without even thinking
>MFW
>>
>>66429325
It's The Glowing Man now
>>
File: tstbktgm.jpg (237 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
tstbktgm.jpg
237 KB, 1200x1200
If you had to name your favorite 5 tracks from the trilogy, which would they be?

>The Apostate
>Oxygen
>The Seer
>Screen Shot
>A Little God In My Hands
>>
>>66429592
The Seer Returns
The Apostate
Screen Shot
A Little God In My Hands
The Glowing Man
>>
>>66429592
>Mother of the World
>Avatar
>Just a Little Boy (for Chester Burnett)
>Oxygen
>The Glowing Man
>>
>>66429526
I imagine most dad's wouldn't. There's no way my dad would go with me, he would think they're fucking weird and likely hate it.
>>
>>66429592
Here's mine:

>The Glowing Man
>Screen Shot
>The World Looks Red/The World Looks Black
>Apostate
>The Seer Returns
>>
>>66428492
That was exactly what I was trying to do, actually. He liked it, but wouldn't listen to it on his own time, and it really put him at ease as to what to expect. His favorite song was "When Will I Return"

He's on the proggier side of dadrock. Late Beatles, Rush, Bowie...
>>
>>66429796

Nice, really underrated track. Definitely one of the best ones they've made period.
>>
>>66429592
>The Glowing Man
>The Seer
>A Little God In My Hands
>Just a Little Boy (For Chester Burnett)
>The Apostate
>>
>>66429592
>Frankie M.
>93 Ave. B Blues
>The Apostate
>Bring The Sun/Toussaint L'Ouverture
>The Seer
>>
>>66429993
Are you the anon I spoke to about it the other day? I'm surprised it's not noted more often, it's such an amazing track. Other than the Glowing Man, it has some of Gira's best vocals I think.
>>
>>66429993
>>66429796
Are they only playing the second half of this song live? The setlist just says The World Looks Black
>>
>>66430511
Not sure, i'd assume so if that's what it says, I wonder how they'll move into it without the first part though, I won't know until October.
>>
When does The World Looks Red end and The World Looks Black begin?
>>
>>66430353
Yeah I am.
>>
>>66430777
At the exact mid point, 7 minutes and 13 seconds in.
>>
The Glowing Man
93 Ave. Blues
Just a Little Boy (For Chester Burnett)
To Be Kind
Frankie M
>>
File: 1468286725515.png (186 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1468286725515.png
186 KB, 640x640
any of you ever listen to The Seer (the song) in bed on a stormy night?

i feel like this is the only way to listen to it
>>
>>66432102
first time i heard it i was driving into SF and was surrounded by fog
>>
>>66429592
>Bring the Sun / Toussaint L'Ouverture (seriously their best song ever and one of the best of the decade)
>The Apostate
>The Seer
>Just a Little Boy
>Oxygen or Nathalie Neal
>>
>>66429592
Still haven't heard TGM yet (although I already have the CD, fuck me right), so:
>Apostate
>She Loves Us
>A Piece of the Sky
>Oxygen
>To Be Kind
>>
>>66429592
>Lunacy
>The Seer Returns
>A Little God in My Hands
>She Loves Us
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.