[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Top 50 Post-Punk records of all time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
Paste Magazine's top 50 Post-Punk records

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2016/07/the-50-best-post-punk-albums.html

What does /mu/ think?
>>
File: 1462751322022.jpg (45 KB, 660x607) Image search: [Google]
1462751322022.jpg
45 KB, 660x607
>albums released in 1977
>post punk
>>
>>66426366
how is marquee moon not post punk? it was ahead of its time. it's like proto-post-punk. i like the term art punk better but genre labels as a whole are retarded
>>
Is post-punk no longer relevant in /mu/?
>>
File: mfw you.png (569 KB, 972x758) Image search: [Google]
mfw you.png
569 KB, 972x758
>>66426801
>proto post-punk
>>
>>66426801
>proto-post-punk
So... punk?
>>
>>66426263
>that list
>respectable
Pick one
>>
>>66427602
>>66427630
you're being retards. the term makes a lot of sense 2bh. consider CANs Monster Movie, it's labeled proto-punk, but it damn sure sounds more like post punk then punk. hence, it's proto-post-punk.
>>
how the fuck is THE SMITHS POST PUNK
>>
>>66427860
Did you just ask a stupid question you pleb
>>
>all that new wave
well ok then
>>
>>66427860
>jangle pop isn't a subgenre of post-punk
why are you tripfagging again?
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 480x360
>>66427860
>he never heard it
once and for all, we proved that this trip, too, is fuccing deaf
>>
>>66428002
>>66428007
not post punk
>>
>>66426801
>proto-post-punk
>>
>>66426263
>No The Chaemelons or The Sound
>Killing Joke that low
>no Polish post punk bands

trash list
>>
>>66426366
Post-punk doesn't literally mean after punk.
>>
>>66428045
Kys

Also filtered
>>
>>66428106
Dumbass :)
>>
>>66426366
How are albums from the 90s post-rock if rock was still around?
Checkmate atheists
>>66427860
You obviously haven't heard The Smiths or heard any post punk
>>66428106
This my man
>>
Too many albums from bands that are of genres inspired by post-punk, which weakens the list all the more since there are some post-punk albums that should be on there but aren't there like a This Heat album.

While Marquee Moon is definitely my favorite album on that list, it is NOT post-punk. It is punk, or if you have to differentiate, "art punk" but not post-punk.

Despite not releasing the very first punk album, Television's arguably even more responsible for the actual jump starting of the punk scene in NY and the underground music that came as a result. They were performing at CBGB before The Ramones were. All punk stuff and later new wave.

You can't be post-punk when you literally came before all other punk bands. Television existed before The Ramones and Sex Pistols while also had their first ever release in 1975 (their single Little Johnny Jewels.)

Television was the first band to release something punk. Not protopunk, punk. Just because it doesn't sound like the typical sound one associates with the genre (muh three chords) doesn't make it automatically post-punk.
>>
they got #1 right
>>
>>66426263
I swear to god if joy division finish first...
>>
>>66429692
>OP pic
>Discussion about Marquee Moon and Television in general
>still thinking JD is gonna be first
>>
>>66428093
>No The Chameleons
Thank god
>no Polish post punk bands
Yeah, how could they have missed all the influential, interesting and popular Polish post punk bands. Fact: Joy Division does not exist with Sadboyowski
>>
Spirit of Eden? Are they fucking retarded?
>>
guys what is post punk
>>
>>66428410
i'm writing my sociology thesis paper over how the longest posts on 4chan are always the most wrong. mind if i use yours in my data?
>>
>>66427860
I know you're probably b8ing but nigger listen to Queen is Dead
>>
>post-punk
lmao
>>
>>66430865
http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/television
http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/ramones
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBGB
>>
shitty list. smiths are literally one of my favourite bands, but they don't belong on a post punk list lmao. chairs missing and entertainment are the best contenders for no.1
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.