[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this a meme album or one of the rare blockbusters to be adored
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6
File: BrothersDireStraits.png (997 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
BrothersDireStraits.png
997 KB, 1000x1000
Is this a meme album or one of the rare blockbusters to be adored by plebs and patricians alike?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkARznrEjOY
>>
Making Movies, s/t and Love over Gold are better
>>
Not their best album, but Dire Straits is always good
>>
>>66425783
>adored by plebs and patricians alike
Keep telling yourself that. Dire Straits are boring af.
>>
One of my favorite albums. No one plays a guitar like Knopfler.
>>
Walk of Life is such a shit song
>>
File: lrn2.jpg (155 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
lrn2.jpg
155 KB, 1000x1000
>>
File: DS_Brothers_in_Arms.jpg (91 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
DS_Brothers_in_Arms.jpg
91 KB, 300x300
>>
>>66427465
fucking your mom is boring af
>>
>>66427592
>Australian Internet
>>
File: christgau1med.jpg (18 KB, 400x266) Image search: [Google]
christgau1med.jpg
18 KB, 400x266
Brothers in Arms [Warner Bros., 1985]

"Money for Nothing" is a catchy sumbitch, no getting around it, and the first side moves with simple generosity, not a virtue one associates with this studio guitarist's ego trip. But it's too late for the old bluesboy to suck us into his ruminations of the perfidy of woman and the futility of political struggle, and "Money for Nothing" is also a benchmark of pop hypocrisy. We know Mark Knopfler's working-class antihero is a thicky because he talks like Randy Newman and uses the same word for homosexual that old bluesboys use, a word Knopfler has somehow gotten on the radio with no static from the PMRC. I mean, why not "little nigger with the spitcurl" instead of "little faggot with the earring," Mark? And while we're at it, how the hell did you end up on MTV? By spelling its name right? B-
>>
>>66425862
Making movies is their best, love over gold is decent but industrial disease does not fit the album at all. I don't know know what you mean by s/T

>>66427465
>Boring
Not really m8, maybe you've heard the wrong album. As I said, making movies is a classic and you should give it a listen

>>66427497
It's rockabilly done wrong
>>
>>66427699
s/t means self titled, he's referring to the album named Dire Straits
>>
>>66427689
Robert Christgau - ever the master of writing reviews where you have absolutely clue wtf he's saying.
>>
>>66427689
I'd give quite a pretty penny to see Christgau come out with an album of his own. If you know what's good and hip, why not make the most killer record?

Would fantano btfo him?
>>
this is garbage
>>
>>66427890
Off the record, Lester Bangs tried making music himself. Lasted about 3 seconds.
>>
>>66427689
>I disagree with the politics of the songwriters, so it's a mediocre album
People who are too stupid to judge art instead of the artist shouldn't be allowed to share their opinions. Nobody cares about your political preferences, nobody opens a discussion on art to find out who you voted for in the last election, what matters is if the ideas are shared in a creative, competent, and interesting way. I notice that in modern media criticism it's almost always progressives who have this puritanical and immature approach to art.
>>
"You spend an entire fucking year working on something only for some asshole in the Village Voice to give it a B-."
>>
>>66427689
>He likes Souja Boy
opinion discarded
>>
>>66427689
>>66425862
Making Movies [Warner Bros., 1980]

If any up-and-coming rock-and-roller aspires to auteur status it's Mark Knopfler, and among those with a taste for his rather corny plots (Romeo and Juliet, fancy that) this establishes his claim. Me, I note that this third album closes with his second gay-baiting song, and that I wasn't surprised . Better he should work on somebody else's stories--his guitar has emerged from Eric Clapton's shadow into a jazzy rock that muscles right past Larry Carlton and ilk. Steely Straits, anyone? Or would that be Dire Dan? C+
>>
>>66428255
>>66427689
>>66425783
Eh, I was never a big fan of New Wave anyway.
>>
I work in a used record store and I see people in their 20s coming in and asking for Springsteen albums, but I've never seen any of them ask for a Dire Straits album and we only charge $5 for them.
>>
>>66425783
Money for Nothing is such comically dated 80s cheese.
>>
I guess Knopfler is better at picking a string than singing because he doesn't even really "sing", he just talks over music.
>>
Was just listening to the S/T and it's aged _much_ better than BIA. There's no obvious late 70s-ness on this album and it sounds almost timeless while BIA sounds very, very much like 1985.
>>
>>66428710
I get what you mean. But I think tracks like The Man's Too Strong and Why Worry are pretty timeless.
>>
>>66428710
I blame that on just how bad 80s production sounds in general. It's aged much worse than many other decades.
>>
>>66428770
But no, I mean there's plenty of stuff out in 78 that's dated for example all disco songs and most hard rock. Dire Straits S/T has aged really well because it's just got very basic production and avoids period tricks/sounds/etc. BIA is loaded with 80s cliches like those synthesizer sounds on Money for Nothing, the drums, and guitar sound used.
>>
>>66428850
Disco sure, although 1978 wasn't that productive of a year for hard rock other than Van Halen S/T which has aged pretty well due to again having rather basic production. Judas Priest had two albums out that year and I say Killing Machine is less dated than Stained Class.
>>
It always seems to me that metal ages worse than most genres of music.
>>
File: 91wNexd6u0L._SL1500_.jpg (389 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
91wNexd6u0L._SL1500_.jpg
389 KB, 1500x1500
The goat 78 album
>>
>>66428928
Hard rock out in '78...Van Halen like you mentioned, AC/DC - Powerage, the two Priest albums, Some Girls, Aerosmith and Kiss didn't have albums out that year (the solo Kiss members records don't count).

So yeah it was kind of a lean year for hard rock/metal.
>>
>>66425783
Clapton core soft rock for fat old truckers. Absolute crap.
>>
Actually I checked Christgau's site and he never rated a DS album higher than a B-
>>
“It is so embarrassing to see those old people doddering about like Dire Straits – they’re hideous,” Smith told Q magazine’s Robert Sandall in 1989. “I’m sure they must be different people posing in latex masks.”
>>
>>66429151
The late 70s in general was a weak period for hard rock at a time when punk and disco were dominating. That preceded the early 80s rock renaissance.
>>
>>66429176
So same audience that likes the Eagles, amirite?
>>
>>66428442
springsteen is shit. he cant sing for nothing
>>
>>66429176
kys
>>
>>66431304
He's really more about the lyrics than the music.
>>
>>66425783
essential dad-core
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.