[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we discuss this album? When I first listened to it I didn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (924 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
924 KB, 900x900
Can we discuss this album? When I first listened to it I didn't give it much though, I always assumed Pet Sounds was the superior album and this was just an unfinished mishmash of different sounds. However, in the past three days I must have listened to it twenty times and every time I'm blown away. I've never heard a more cohesive album. Brian's vision really came through and it's absolutely beautiful. I think it surpasses Pet Sounds in almost every way. Thoughts?
>>
It's absolutely perfect and probably the greatest "unfinished" album ever recorded. I can only imagine what would've happened had it been released.
>>
we talk about smile all the fucking time
it's fucking great and we all know that
enough
>>
File: 122205449_yellowballoon.jpg (109 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
122205449_yellowballoon.jpg
109 KB, 700x700
Can we talk about how this was better than all of them?
>>
has anyone made one of those "it's perfect in every way" comics with smile? feel like it could be really cool with americana stuff and banjos and shit
>>
>>66407029
Every time I listen to it I can't help but think how this could've been the greatest album of all time if it was released on schedule and how people would talk about it for decades and how it could influence music, and it makes me hate this cruel world.
>>
>>66407111
I know anon. I just wanted to share the strong feelings this album elicited from me because I was excited. I'm sorry if I annoyed you
>>
what are the essential beach boys albums besides pet sounds and smile?
>>
Historical revisionism: the album.
>>
>>66407212
>Today!
>Summer Days (And Summer Nights!)
>Wild Honey
>Friends
>Sunflower
>Surf's Up
>Holland
And if you want their early stuff, I'd say just listen to Endless Summer.
>>
>>66407139
He's not wrong, guys.
>>
>>66407303
This
Also Love You
Other than that you're set
>>
>>66407212
Sunflower, Today, 20/20, Wild Honey, Smiley Smile. There's other good ones but those are the best.
>>
>>66407362
Oh shit yeah Love You, that's amazing too.
>>
File: 1468229318110.jpg (20 KB, 236x312) Image search: [Google]
1468229318110.jpg
20 KB, 236x312
>>66407212
those are the two critically acclaimed opuses, the rest is either good tier, shit, or strange culty stuff that you will either adore or dislike

the essentials IMO are
Love You: a very odd album that may as well be a brian wilson solo album. features strange autobiographical lyrics and heavy use of moog synthesizers. many consider it to be outsider music

Smiley Smile: very odd psych lo-fi minimalist album, and one of my favorites in their discography. this album sounds like how weed feels.

Party!: comfy fun folk rock covers of rock n roll standards

Surf's Up: the boys shift to a more serious tone, in an attempt to stay relevant. great prog pop record, and contains two unique and ingenious brian wilson compositions

these are my favorites, but these are not the only worthwhile beach boy albums by far. they have a huge discography, dive in and find what you like!
>>
>>66407029
I had an opposite experience with the album.
When I first listened to it I loved it. I went through a phase where I must've listened to it about 50 times over the course of several months.
Now when I revisit it, I can't quite sit through an entire listen.
It may be an amazing album, but Smile doesn't have the staying power of Pet Sounds.
Do You Like Worms and Holidays are moments when the unfinished nature really shines through. Although Brian uses some very cool studio tricks, only a few of the instrumentals have the complete maximalist beauty thatPet Sounds does.
Surfs Up is a masterpiece though.
>>
>>66408700
What do you think of Friends?
>>
>>66408898
I find it really underated. Very nice sounding album.
>>
>>66408976
Oh yeah man, I dig it too. It's strange, for being as prolific as they are, a lot of The Beach Boys' best work goes unnoticed by a lot of people.
>>
>>66409003
Yea... Thankfully they are getting the respect they deserve now. Tbh they always had an image problem that restricts them from getting a deeper look by normal listeners
>>
>>66408898
Friends is my fourth favorite post-Pet Sounds release behind Smiley Smile, Sunflower, and Surfs Up. I'd say it ties with Love You for me.
It's the Beach Boys' white album. The production is simple, the songs are eclectic, and there is more filler than there should be. Still, there are some great tunes on it (Wake the World, Friends, and Busy Doin Nothin).
Also notable so how they eliminated almost all reverb on this album, which gives it a smaller, almost claustrophobic, but more intimate sound.
It's a fun and rarely boring album, but it's no masterpiece.
>>
I have all of the different parts in Barnyard figured out, really fun song that makes me sad in a way.
Learning how to play Wonderful now
>>
>>66409158
Well when you're band's called The Beach Boys, people tend to get preconceived notions. (Should've stuck with The Pendletones desu)
>>66409217
>it's no masterpiece
Well I'd say that's pretty obvious. I've just been listening to it more lately and really digging it.
>>
>>66408898
hippy dippy shite, the beach boys' obligatory "i went to india" album
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.